Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

drivability with a high ram or sheet metal intake on ls1

I have been reading up on the intake manifold comparison tests but no one talks about how they act on low end regular driving.
      Would a high ram or sheet metal intake work on a stock ls ?
      The ls1 in my 69 Camaro has a asa cam and dynotech headers , I am looking more to dress it up than performance and would like to install a intake before I have it re-tuned.
      Before anyone suggests using a fast or stock looking intake , I do not want the stock look.

I have a Hi-Ram with dual DBW throttle bodies, ASA cam in a 5.3L installed in my Cougar. It drives great.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Drive ability will not change much, some loss of low end torque. Probably additional loss of low end torque with a cam that suits the intake. Air valve size and linkage design will also change throttle feel dramatically. To the point of making really choppy on a manual trans.

Thanks for the info. Im looking at the omega 85mm qualifier intake. I have a 4l60e with a supposed 3200 converter from mad dog trans.. its more like 1800.
      I already lost a lot of low end power and torque with the cam but it has not been tuned yet and idle is too low.

Quote Originally Posted by chevnut55 View Post
      Thanks for the info. Im looking at the omega 85mm qualifier intake. I have a 4l60e with a supposed 3200 converter from mad dog trans.. its more like 1800.
      I already lost a lot of low end power and torque with the cam but it has not been tuned yet and idle is too low.
      No offense, but that intake looks terrible and will probably cost you power and add 30 pounds.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      No offense, but that intake looks terrible and will probably cost you power and add 30 pounds.

Andrew
      I agree with Andrew that is an ugly manifold! You might want to read this HotRod article before you swap intakes.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I do like the holly high ram best. Really I wish I could afford to either go with the omega downdraft efi stack , but if I had that much to spend I would spend a bit more and go with a supercharger.
      Like I said its not for power in this car its for looks. I have a drag car and have a autox/ track car, the Camaro is my driver /road trip car.

Nothing looks better, unless a 14/71 blower, than an old school tunnel ram with 2 throttle bodies. Even the TPI does not distract from the look much. Some people think that the injectors or NOS! lol According to the guy who machined my motor with a 750 holly on a torque intake it had 500/525 . With the dual Holly throttle bodies on the tunnel ram my motor is estimated to be 575/600 hp. With a TKO600 and 3:50:1 9" 25.5 " tires It is as tame as with the carb. I do not have an LS but is a 489 BBC

Quote Originally Posted by chpr1972 View Post
      With the dual Holly throttle bodies on the tunnel ram my motor is estimated to be 575/600 hp. With a TKO600 and 3:50:1 9" 25.5 " tires It is as tame as with the carb. I do not have an LS but is a 489 BBC
      Pictures! Here is mine (also not an LS), sorry about the hijack!!! Have not driven it yet. But previous experience with carb tunnel rams I expect no loss in drivability.

Name:  DSC06547 4x6.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  230.2 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com