Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by MTZ28 View Post
      Those clam shell style clamps look really nice. Who made yours? I've already installed mine from chassisworks, but I like how yours has a slight bend in the tubing. I love the engine hoist through the window.
      Sorry for the late response. I got mine from CBM Motorsports. They were like $40 each pair.

And ya the engine was a blast to put in. Through the door first (which barely made it through the cage), then the picker though the window. Hope it wont need to come out for a long time.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Country Flag: United States
      If I was doing what you are trying to accomplish, I would call a licensed scrutineer for a sanctioned body of a club and run this by him/her to see if that is the safest thing to do. If they say it is not safe, find out why. The standards used by the various sanctioned bodies, such as, SCCA or NASA, etc. are essentially the same. In some cases, it is safer to run without a cage rather than running with an unsafe cage. Unsafe cages can cause more harm than no cage at all, even on the street.

I could be wrong, a pinned bar may not be compliant thus, an unsafe structure.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      If I was doing what you are trying to accomplish, I would call a licensed scrutineer for a sanctioned body of a club and run this by him/her to see if that is the safest thing to do. If they say it is not safe, find out why. The standards used by the various sanctioned bodies, such as, SCCA or NASA, etc. are essentially the same. In some cases, it is safer to run without a cage rather than running with an unsafe cage. Unsafe cages can cause more harm than no cage at all, even on the street.

I could be wrong, a pinned bar may not be compliant thus, an unsafe structure.
      Thanks for the input. I'll do some more research and make some calls.

Finally figured what I'm going to do, concentrate on body to tubing clearance. Do a road race style door bars that sort of mimics the tiger cage. Keep my removable harness bar. This will be more than sufficient for anything I want to do. I will accomplish my goal of stiffening and making my t-top a lot safer. Thanks for all your comments.

Little late on this, but I'm looking at building a cage that is removable and or parts of it are. My main requirements for the removable joints, is not only are they functional but that they be round and same diameter as tubing I'm using as well as being certified by most Sanctioning bodies.

What I found to use are these, by TMR.They make both interlocking and non-interlocking one.

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...index&cPath=32

Quote Originally Posted by Poorhousenext View Post
      Little late on this, but I'm looking at building a cage that is removable and or parts of it are. My main requirements for the removable joints, is not only are they functional but that they be round and same diameter as tubing I'm using as well as being certified by most Sanctioning bodies.

What I found to use are these, by TMR.They make both interlocking and non-interlocking one.

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...index&cPath=32
      Thanks for posting this link. I have been looking for these for a while.
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

Quote Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop View Post
      Thanks for posting this link. I have been looking for these for a while.
      I second that, TMR offers some great tools/parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MTZ28 View Post
      I second that, TMR offers some great tools/parts.
      I don't live far from TMR and have been to a couple open houses at their shop. They were a little confused when a road-racer showed up at their door. Their parts are well crafted and they offer some really smart designs. They also sell bags of weld-on wire tie-downs that are super handy.

When I helped a friend do a cage we used a grinder he had that ground out roof structure same diameter as upper halo bar, we then put the bar up IN the roof structure, and we tucked the side bars inside the b pillars, our rear cross bar had milled catches from solid bar stock. We used a heavy DOM sleeve, welded a spring latch where the sleeve slides over the catch. Then we used moroso quick pins to hold the sleeve in place. We did door bars similar. All bars were actually married to body structure and honestly the car was even stiffer. I'll see if I can find pics.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com