Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Really looking forward to hearing about how you like those gauges as I'm interested in them as well down the road.
      1968 Firebird
      2004 SRT-4
      2008 Ram

So far I am extremely happy with the gauges. They were incredibly easy to wire up and just look top notch in my opinion. I wasn't sure about the way that they were wired up originally with just the screw clamps on the bare wires, but honestly it is such a better design than crimping or soldering. Especially with the frequency that we all make changes to our cars, I can see where it would be really helpful to just unscrew and replace something, or wire in something new.

I got some more time last night in the garage and finalized the placement of my control box and wiring. I bought a few pieces at AutoZone to finish up the install and some of them a may or may not return. I thought I was going to need more circuits, but according to the directions the gauges only draw 1 amp so it really much of an additional load on a circuit.

I kept thinking of where I wanted to place the control box, and since the gauges aren't as deep as the originals there is actually a pocket right behind them where the control box can live. It is very functional and will be very easy to add any BIM modules in the future or any other wiring items. I crudely added in a little aluminum panel to mount additional wiring items to and added a ground terminal at the bottom. I may pull it back out and clean it up a little and paint.

I feel confident that I am done with the mock up stage and pealed the protective film off of the lenses and reinstalled for final. Wow, they are crystal clear now!

I have been keeping my eyes out for an LS2 1x cam sprocket for a while now and I found one that came up here on PT. Eventually I will convert over to the front cam sensor and this one is needed to run a Gen III LS computer.

I have most of my gauges wired up; Tach, Speedo, Oil, Coolant and volts. The only thing remaining is my fuel gauge which should be simply tracing the wire and hooking it up. After I get out of work today, I want to get it out today and test the functionality of it. Very exciting! I also need to trace the High beam and turning signals before I can mount the gauges for final though. Getting very close.

Ryan

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

So Ryan, I have a question about your fuel gauge. I'm also planning on DD gauges for my car, but I was hoping to use the stock 5th gen Camaro sending unit, so I don't have to cut another hole in the tank to mount the 0-90 ohm sending unit. I'm guessing you are planning on using the 0-90ohm sending unit, but do you know if you can use the 5th gen sender? Does it mention anywhere in the instructions/data sheets that this gauge can be used on multiple different senders?

Thanks,
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Deserttaco View Post
      So Ryan, I have a question about your fuel gauge. I'm also planning on DD gauges for my car, but I was hoping to use the stock 5th gen Camaro sending unit, so I don't have to cut another hole in the tank to mount the 0-90 ohm sending unit. I'm guessing you are planning on using the 0-90ohm sending unit, but do you know if you can use the 5th gen sender? Does it mention anywhere in the instructions/data sheets that this gauge can be used on multiple different senders?

Thanks,
      Steve
      Hey Steve, it's funny that you bring that up because it has been on my mind. When I originally built the tank I didn't anticipate that I would aftermarket gauges as soon as I did. Otherwise I would have just used the stock sender in from the 5th gen. Yes, Dakota Digital has several preset fuel gauge readings and one is the 240-33 OHM just like the 5th gen Camaro. I think that I'm going to drop my tank and re-install the sender in the fuel bucket just in-case I have a problem with my 0-90.

I got into the garage for a few hours last night and decided to mix up a little body filler to take care of some small imperfections. Please keep in mind that I am by no means a body guy, but I am attempting to learn something that is a little out of my comfort zone. I had a few little dents on the roof, small dip on the rear window channel and the remaining amount I had went to a section on the quarter panel that will need lots of TLC. Figured I would put it there rather than waste it.

Didn't quite have enough to finish it, but I can mix up the rest soon.

Trying to wrap up the fuel tank wiring, so I had to drill a hole for my fuel pump and sender wiring. I used a slightly oversized grommet in the stock location and it's big enough to fit all the connectors through so I can pull the tank if needed without having to cut wires. I also wanted to use all factory appearing connectors where I could. If anyone is interested, the stock terminals that I needed are called Series 56 Packard. They are used just about everywhere on stock harnesses. Since I don't have a factory type crimper, I just crimped them with my pliers and soldered them for added insurance.

Fuel pump wire.

You can also see here where I test fit the filler neck rubber seal and drilled the holes to mount it. Since I replaced the floor I had to drill new holes. It will be nice to button this all up for good!

I ordered some parts earlier this week that should be here soon to help finish up my LS install. When I did some initial data logs I noticed that my short term fuel trims were way off. I'm thinking that part of the problem is that I have no filter and no exhaust back pressure. Between the two, I believe that the MAF is receiving more air than it thinks it's getting an messing up the fuel trims. It runs really rich at the moment. I'm hoping with a filter and full exhaust that will help fix that issue.

Cheers,
      Ryan

Time for a parts update. I have had a bunch of the parts I had for sale go on to new homes and that left me with some spending cash. I ordered some parts to get the exhaust more complete and should quiet the car down a bunch and also I'm hoping that it will help my STFT's that my ECU is giving. I'm hoping the backpressure will help to lean it out some. I was looking over the internet for some straight 3" exhaust pipes to get the mufflers where I wanted them. The best prices I found on straight pieces were about $45 each. Since I needed two 3' sections it was going to be almost as expense as buying an X-pipe. So as I was shopping around eBay, I came across a guy selling a Doug's 3' X-pipe kit for $95 bucks with free shipping! Score. With them all laid out, they look great and should give a great sound.

Next was a great Penny Pincher score for me. I bought a set of used Hotchkis HPS 1000 shocks and rear shock plates from a member here. They match the 1.5" rear drop springs perfectly! The set has about 15k miles on them and they are in great shape. These are the last components that I need to make for a complete running/driving car, so that is a cool feeling. Still need a lot of parts to make the car complete but at this point I wouldn't need anything else to make the car run and drive down the road.

And some staggered multi leaf shock plates. Just need a little clean-up and they will be good as new.

I took a page from a member here on PT, 67rally, and got some of the switchback LED projector lamps for my RS parking/turn signal lights. I don't have the turning signals wired up yet, but I did a quick test from the battery and they are really bright and will greatly help with visibility. Once I get them all wired up I will get a picture or video.

I also bought a CAI and fuel filler neck hose. I didn't bother to take a picture of the hose and the CAI should be here today. I took the advice from another guy and bought a cheap CAI made for a 99-06 Silverado. The tube makes for an almost perfect placement when flipped around for the driver's side by the core support. I hope to update later today with pictures.

I hope in the next few weeks to get the passenger's side outer wheel house removed and replaced, as well as installing the rocker panel. Once that is done, the major bodywork will be finished and it will be off to paint jail...

Cheers,
      Ryan

I am now back on track to get this car done. I had briefly considered selling the car to get something that was done, but decided in the end that I would miss the car too much. I've taken some time to get my house chores in order and helping a friend with the wiring on an LS swap in a 67 El Camino. He needed it converted to stand alone, so I helped out with that. I never posted it a few weeks ago, but I picked up a few things to keep the project going.

One of which is a complete spray system for Plasti-Dip. I have heard that the Graco guns are one of the better versions and best part is a talked the guy down to $25 bucks. A couple gallons of the dip materials and it should at least make the car one color.

I was also reading that a cheap and effective cold air intake system for most LS swaps is to use the 99-06 Silverado/Sierra eBay kit. The pipe that they use is almost perfect for tucking the filter over in front of the inner fender. I need to either figure out a different coolant hose for my radiator, or another radiator altogether. It took a little while for it to be delivered, but the quality looks good, with the polished aluminum and filter assembly. Good buy for $49 bucks.

Then I decided to tackle the passenger's side outer wheel house now. Since I need to weld the new rocker panel on as well, it made sense to start here. Some ugly patch panels. You can also see the right corner of the awful patch panel of the outer lip someone did. Not sure how you could bring yourself to put a new quarter panel over those...

And gone.

Now that the outer wheel house is out, I will need to split the quarter panel in a similar fashion so that I can squeak the outer into position. At first I didn't like that idea, but it will also allow me to tighten the gaps and get everything just where I want it. It will all work out in the end.

And onto something not project related, but what has been keeping me busy. I had to do a "tune up" on my snowplow and install some new decals. Changing the fluid and getting it ready for the winter months.

Here is the harness that I converted to stand alone. I will also flash a new tune on the car to get it up and running. Then they will take it to a shop to have a dyno tune on it.

Cheers for getting back on track.

Ryan

This thread is a wealth of information. Thanks again. I've already made some project choices directly due to it.
      1968 Firebird
      2004 SRT-4
      2008 Ram

Nice work Ryan, It's looking good.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Thanks for all of the compliments.

I made a big step forward towards getting the car 100% clean of the rust. I made all of the final cuts and trimmed out all of the remaining bits of the original rocker panel that was never trimmed out. Then I had a clean surface to work with.

After that, I realized that I had to install the outer wheel house before I could do the rocker panel, so I had to shift gears. Before I could install the outer, I had to make a few patches for the lower inner wheel house and trunk extension before I could install the outer wheel house. Not super exciting so I only took a few pictures. One think I did want to show was how taking the time to get your templates to fit really well can improve the look of the repair and cut down on the time fabricating it.

And the outer installed!

Now sometime during the installation of the outer wheel house, my car decided to give me some payback for considering to sell. At least that is the story that I am sticking with... While trying to position the outer wheel house instead of slipping up into place, it slipped down and into my face. Serves me right for even thinking of selling the project.

Right after I did it.

Then once it was settled and the outer was finally installed, I roughly trimmed up the rocker panel and roughly fit it up into the car. For just a rough trim, I am very pleased with how well it fits. Shouldn't be too much longer before they are all trimmed and welded solid. Once the rocker and wheel house are done, I just have two small patches on the driver's side cowl, and I can focus on prepping the car to paint.

I'm really starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,
      Ryan

Looking good Ryan. No, not your face, the Camaro. Those patches came out pretty good, I must say.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Haha, thanks Form. Glad to see that you migrated over here from TAC. You should start a build thread here if you haven't already.

My builds are not up to the level of things on here... I just build what I have with the limited tools and skill I have. Maybe the F1 when I start that. My TA is a pretty basic LS swap...

Anyway, glad to see you are moving along. Same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time, little by little.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

I know your pain. Well, more or less. This past weekend I was lying under my S10 working on transmission crossmember mounts and had a 1/4" thick piece of steel hit me sharp end on the forehead. lol At least I wasn't concussed. But it kinda killed my motivation to work on it that day. lol

Nice progress. Can't wait to see it all in one color.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by FormTA View Post
      My builds are not up to the level of things on here... I just build what I have with the limited tools and skill I have. Maybe the F1 when I start that. My TA is a pretty basic LS swap...
      Is there such thing as a "basic" LS swap?? I think that we see them so often on these sites that they feel more common than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      I know your pain. Well, more or less. This past weekend I was lying under my S10 working on transmission crossmember mounts and had a 1/4" thick piece of steel hit me sharp end on the forehead. lol At least I wasn't concussed. But it kinda killed my motivation to work on it that day. lol

Nice progress. Can't wait to see it all in one color.

Jay
      Ouch... that sounds more violent than my accident.

I can't wait to see it all in one color either!

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Is there such thing as a "basic" LS swap?? I think that we see them so often on these sites that they feel more common than they really are.
      Nah, pretty common just about everywhere, unless you're one of those "a 5.3 is not an LS" pedants. The fact that you can control one with a $369 Microsquirt and tune it all yourself without expensive software is leading to these things getting used a lot in drag racing, and old shop trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLOW6.0 View Post
      Nah, pretty common just about everywhere, unless you're one of those "a 5.3 is not an LS" pedants. The fact that you can control one with a $369 Microsquirt and tune it all yourself without expensive software is leading to these things getting used a lot in drag racing, and old shop trucks.
      I've never heard of anyone say that a 5.3 isn't an LS swap? A 5.3 is an LS variant so I'm not sure how someone could argue that it isn't an LS swap? Some people just like to argue I guess...

Maybe it is just my area in Upstate, NY, but I personally may only see a handful of LS swapped cars. I go to a lot of shows and cruise-in's and they are just not that common in my area.

Same here. Every show will have a few LS swaps but not the "norm".

Thanks to help from a friend, I have figured out how to embed the youtube vids into my build thread. Enjoy!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCMjN1zaLb4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7ewgg2DC4[/youtube]

EDIT: well I guess it is different on different forums...

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com