Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

ls3 6l80e swap question about tunnel 69 Chevelle

Have it all in and mocked up and don't have to modify the tunnel surprisingly. Using the Holley stock LS mounts it all fits. Question is that the trans
      pan hangs low below the frame, and I don't want to raise mounts and cut tunnel because my driveline angle is good right now at 3 degrees. Besides the obvious, anyone ran their pans low?

I bought the Pontiac G-8 pan for my setup to give me better ground clearance. I have a 1965 Skylark. By the way we raised my transmission tunnel around 1.25". If you do this don't forget the G8 transmission filter along with the pan.

I also went to a G8 pan on my '61 wagon. Ground clearance was WAY too low with the stock pan that came on it, especially after it was sitting low on the RS chassis. The G8 pan made a big difference for me.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed View Post
      I also went to a G8 pan on my '61 wagon. Ground clearance was WAY too low with the stock pan that came on it, especially after it was sitting low on the RS chassis. The G8 pan made a big difference for me.

Trevor
      What would you consider to low? I put a 6l80e on a 2nd gen Firebird without cutting the tunnel and trans pan is about 2 1/4" maybe 2 3/8ths off the ground. My LS came out of a G8.

So your saying that's trans fit without cutting the tunnel?i have the same set up and I do not want to cut my tunnel,what frame mounts do you have,and do u have any photos of the trans in,any info would be helpful,thanks in advance

No way a 6L80 is going to fit without major tunnel surgery if you want to maintain any sort of proper driveline angles.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      I have a 6l80e out of a 2009 g8 installed in my 65 gto and still ended up cutting the tunnel out all the way back to behind the seat belt holes.It just barley hangs below the frame but that's where it needs to be,any lower and it wil be an accident looking for a place to happen

Looking at doing this , any pictures of the trans tunnel mods?
      Thanks

Proper:
      What did you do about the 3-bolt tailshaft flange?
      I am doing a 2008 G8 L76 w/6l80 transmission in a 1973 Pontiac Lemans. No too sure about what is the best route to go on the driveshaft.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rb69 View Post
      Looking at doing this , any pictures of the trans tunnel mods?
      Thanks

1970 Camaro ls3 w/ 6l80. G8 trans filter and trans pan with Hooker Crossmember for 4l80. Fully bolted up to engine, using Holley engine mounts

------------------------------
      69 Camaro LS3/6L80e
      70 Camaro RS LS3/6l80e
      74 Nova 434 SBC

Quote Originally Posted by 1929chev View Post
      Proper:
      What did you do about the 3-bolt tailshaft flange?
      I am doing a 2008 G8 L76 w/6l80 transmission in a 1973 Pontiac Lemans. No too sure about what is the best route to go on the driveshaft.
      Thanks
      There's a good write up on the forum if you do a search. But what I did based on the suggestion of the driveline shop I deal with was run a 1350 on both sides of the drive shaft. You will need to change the rear pinion yoke from a 1310 to 1350 and run a 1310-1350 ujoint up front with a flange yoke.

Dana Spicer 1350 Pinion Yoke
      https://www.summitracing.com/search?...SDH-3-4-8681-1

Spicer 3-2-119 Flange Yoke
      https://www.amazon.com/Spicer-3-2-11.../dp/B00GAPJMXU

U Joint 1310 to 1350
      https://www.summitracing.com/search?...eyword=MOG-348
      ------------------------------
      69 Camaro LS3/6L80e
      70 Camaro RS LS3/6l80e
      74 Nova 434 SBC

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com