Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
      Thanks Mitch! I do plan on doing an optima event (hopefully this year). Not too sure what class I would run in. Need to get some new tires first. R-compounds are a no go as you probably know.

Now that you have that nice tow vehicle (yes the G8), you can always drag the Bird out here and compete with me! Would be a nice little road trip.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Thanks Mitch! I do plan on doing an optima event (hopefully this year). Not too sure what class I would run in. Need to get some new tires first. R-compounds are a no go as you probably know.

Now that you have that nice tow vehicle (yes the G8), you can always drag the Bird out here and compete with me! Would be a nice little road trip.
      I considered it trust me! haha. Really excited to do another event. My bro lives in AZ and is planning to go in his C5 so I had a place to stop on the way and someone to finish the drive with. Also have another brother in Houston of all places. A three day drive with places to rest/stay at the two stopping points, Houston and Phoenix, it's almost poetic!

However, recent developments on the home front (new baby July 5) and all the time I spent in the garage from Jan to April getting ready for NOLA, It'd be asking a lot of my wife to let me get back in the garage to prep (she's already a saint for letting me live in the garage all spring just about--check out my proj thread)--and it's HOT. So I've been scheming on what mods to do next and almost can't wait until next year. And living vicariously through the forums until then. I've FINALLY got my project thread up to date! Lucky if I can get enough time on the comp to do it with a newborn and 22mo old. I found if I let the baby sleep on me I get more clearance for car forum time on the comp!
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

See that would work out perfectly then! Do it! But I see what you mean about the kids (and congrats on the new one). If you do ever make it out here, shoot me a message and we can meet up.

Alright guys, I did some thinking and it wasnt good. What if I was to take the blower off and go turbo? That would solve my boost issue and gain me many many hp. Downside is the lag.

Would be nice to know why you're down on boost first... What did you determine about the damper pulley?
      -Mitch
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers

Ya I figured out the ATI deal. Its an under drive pulley.... So not going to work. Pretty sure the boost went down cause I made the engine bigger. I figured it would, just not 2 psi. I also looked at the engine and there is no way to put on a bigger damper. Anything bigger would rub on the front cover.

Going back to the crazy turbo idea, I already have a perfect turbo sitting at home. Brand new but sitting for a year. Was going to go on another Ecotec project. I can easily sell my blower for decent money and that would more then cover the rest of the turbo components. So money wise, its a good idea. Bad news - I would have to make another header, do all the cooler tubing (would be water to air), build an intake manifold, and the worse part, lift the engine back up so I can drop the oil pan to add a turbo drain provision. The engine wouldnt have to come out, just up about 4" which I dont think will be a huge ordeal. Just not too fun.

The other halfway good news is that I would be able to run the engine in NA form until I got the turbo system built. So technically, the Bug would only be down a few days at a time until I got each component done. Would still be fun with 200 whp for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Ya I figured out the ATI deal. Its an under drive pulley.... So not going to work. Pretty sure the boost went down cause I made the engine bigger. I figured it would, just not 2 psi. I also looked at the engine and there is no way to put on a bigger damper. Anything bigger would rub on the front cover.

Going back to the crazy turbo idea, I already have a perfect turbo sitting at home. Brand new but sitting for a year. Was going to go on another Ecotec project. I can easily sell my blower for decent money and that would more then cover the rest of the turbo components. So money wise, its a good idea. Bad news - I would have to make another header, do all the cooler tubing (would be water to air), build an intake manifold, and the worse part, lift the engine back up so I can drop the oil pan to add a turbo drain provision. The engine wouldnt have to come out, just up about 4" which I dont think will be a huge ordeal. Just not too fun.

The other halfway good news is that I would be able to run the engine in NA form until I got the turbo system built. So technically, the Bug would only be down a few days at a time until I got each component done. Would still be fun with 200 whp for the time being.
      Up to you. But if you go for it, it will be pretty sick. I know you've already made up your mind. A change up in plans always takes a few days to swallow, but you're progressing quickly. Go For It.

Better get it done before Fontana. I'm looking into plane tickets to watch my bro compete (Kevin M. in the 98 Vette reg in GTS). Would be sweet to see bugzilla in action that's for sure. I have a little Vee-dub in me too BTW--my parents always had a 71 squareback in the garage. I drove it in college for a few years after my 68 Firebird got broken into the first weekend parked on campus. Hotwired, but no start luckily due to preventative measures my Dad told me to take--praise god. Put it back safely at home and drove the VW for 3 until I picked up a beater car. See if you can see the VW in my proj thread in the background. Which reminds me I gotta add the near theft details to the story.
      -Mitch

Yes! We're happy to see you finally on the road again. Even with lower boost, it looks like the bug still has some pretty good pick-up!

Thanks guys! Did a photo shoot today. Here is a sneak peak.

Name:  20170730_192245.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  193.4 KB

Nice.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Awesome. Was recently thinking of getting high quality pics of my car done one day--now that I've been posting more. Maybe after I get it looking better first though.
      -Mitch

How much power did you lose with 2psi. Love the build I'm sure you can wait to beat on it

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndroundko View Post
      How much power did you lose with 2psi. Love the build I'm sure you can wait to beat on it
      Boost is just a measure of resistance. He is probably making more power now with less boost...But I think there is a turbinator in the works...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

100% was going to say what Andrew said. Its making probably 25hp more then the last engine even being down in boost. The bump in compression helped too. And yes, there is possibly a turbinator in the works. More boosties!

How much boost......ALL OF IT!!! Cool beans forced induction has always interested me but I have yet to mess with it. My denali may get turbo'd within the next year after I pay it off though...

Country Flag: Canada
      I'm sure you have thought of it, but is the bypass valve working properly? Just a thought.
      I love the sound of the blower. May have to get one of my own someday.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Ken - yep bypass is working correctly. That thing slams shut when you rev it. Same thing if you are just cruising down the street and lean in to the throttle.

Add a turbo to force feed the blower?

Rick - I was waiting for someone to say that! Thought about it, would be freakin awesome, but not going to happen.

Alright guys. I had Chad (Chad-1stGen on here) @ Autox and Track reach out to me a little while ago to do an article on the Bug. Well he did it and I have to give him a big thanks! You can check out the article in the link below.

Article here

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com