Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Sell the Bug, build an LS swapped Cherokee?

Jay
      That is not a bad idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
      Watch it, those Jeeps are a slippery slope
      I see you have the same issues I have....
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Well the Bug is in winter hibernation. That is at least until I put the side windows back in. Little chilly driving it right now...

Also a big thanks to Chris over at Engineswapdepot.com. He did a nice little article on the Bug.

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=19973

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Well the Bug is in winter hibernation. That is at least until I put the side windows back in. Little chilly driving it right now...

Also a big thanks to Chris over at Engineswapdepot.com. He did a nice little article on the Bug.

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=19973
      Solution?
      Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  90.9 KB

Congrats on the article! We hope to see more of the bug after winter!

Hey guys, its been a while. I am still alive and kicking. Been busy with Jeep stuff. Took me a little while but I rebuilt the engine on my silver Jeep and have been driving it around to make sure everything is good. Just got a few small things to do and I will be done working on Jeeps for a while.

The Bug has been sitting so long, the battery is completely dead and wont take a charge. I pulled it out and decided I am going to relocate it to the front. So just got to stop working on the Jeeps and I can go back to driving the Bug. I am still up in the air on selling the Bug or not but since I now have a kid on the way, everything is pointing towards selling it. But we will see, nothing is set in stone yet. I will post another update once I start working on it again!

I am still up in the air on selling the Bug or not but since I now have a kid on the way, everything is pointing towards selling it. But we will see, nothing is set in stone yet. I will post another update once I start working on it again!

Mean no offence at all here, especially from a kidless guy lol

But why do I constantly see guys posting there long term blood/sweat/tears builds for sale because they have a child on way?

You have worked hard and built this BADASS car from scratch basically, if you have a kid coming. Seems like it may get put on back burner or not get tracked as much as you may previously. but when will you have time/funds to replicate something like this again? You have build exactly what you wanted. Keep it, enjoy it, have kid wrench on it when old enough.

#endrant lol

Quote Originally Posted by beater65 View Post
      Mean no offence at all here, especially from a kidless guy lol

But why do I constantly see guys posting there long term blood/sweat/tears builds for sale because they have a child on way?

You have worked hard and built this BADASS car from scratch basically, if you have a kid coming. Seems like it may get put on back burner or not get tracked as much as you may previously. but when will you have time/funds to replicate something like this again? You have build exactly what you wanted. Keep it, enjoy it, have kid wrench on it when old enough.

#endrant lol
      No offence taken. I get what you mean. My thought of selling it is not entirely due to the kid. I mean I owe $0 on the Bug and it only cost me $400 in insurance and $30 a year to keep it registered so it really doesnt cost much every year. I am getting rid of my Nissan before the kid pops out (the only car I have a payment on) and that will likely cover the monthly cost of a kid. So its not really a money issue. At the same time, it would be nice to put whatever I sell the Bug for back in the bank. Besides the Bug, I have 2 other project vehicles/money pits. As it is, I have a hard time finding time to work on all 3 project vehicles which is partly why I havent touched the Bug since my last race.

But the main reason is because the Bug didnt turn out exactly how I wanted. I wanted to be able to drive it around town and on the highway somewhat comfortably, almost to the point where it could be a daily driver (minus ac and heat). Well thats not what it turned out to be. It feels like I am driving a race car on the streets (which yes technically I am haha). Yes I can make it how I want it but again, more time, money and redoing things yet again. I can tell you for sure, I wont sell the Bug if I cant get what I have in it. If I can make some money on it, I can always build another one thats better and faster. Half the fun is in the build anyways. We will see what happens. Only time will tell.

Well, I finally got a new battery and installed it. I was a bit lazy and decided to not relocate it. So its back in the original location. But it runs again! Of course I had to take it out for a spin since its been a while. Put about 10 miles on it and had a blast at the same time. Every time I drive it, it reminds me of a motorcycle. Just keeps revving and revving and revving. Now it just needs to warm up a bit and I will start driving it to work again. Or I just need to put the side windows back in...

Well the weather has been warming back up, so I decided to take the Bug to work today. Looks like I have a new oil leak. Probably coming out of the dipstick where goes into the block.

Name:  20180308_094740.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  114.3 KB

Well the weather has been warming back up, so I decided to take the Bug to work today. Looks like I have a new oil leak. Probably coming out of the dipstick where goes into the block.

Name:  20180308_094740.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  114.3 KB
      So, it's like a VW powered bug, then? lol

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      So, it's like a VW powered bug, then? lol

Jay
      Haha I have to keep true to at least 1 VW tradition.

Alright, well I have pretty much decided that I am going to keep the Bug. So I guess that means I get to keep on working on it. I got some big changes I will be making over the next couple months. Lots of stuff in regards to aero and even more towards making it a mildly comfortable driver. I am going to hold off on the pictures until I get a bit further along but be prepared for some nice changes!

Smart move, I was offered ,by my boss to buy my 66 Caprice 4dr, but not sure he can come up with cash and really hate giving to someone else even for cash. Still have plans for it, and my 04 Grand Prix and my Monza, which the Caprice cash would have made possible very quickly over slow and slower and Im single and no kids.
      But do have spare 305TPI I can swap to Monza possibly. Time/weather are my tell as I have no garage yet.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Are we going to see the Bug at the NMCA Autocross next weekend?
      www.totalcostinvolved.com
      "Quality doesn't cost, it pays"

I have been in your shoes to some degree owning a project vehicle that went just a little too far and strayed from what I really wanted. It felt like a burden because while it was very good at a specific task, it was awful at daily driving or being something fun my wife and kids could enjoy with me. When I sold it, I felt an enormous sense of relief and was able to focus on a more street-friendly project that I've kept tame enough to enjoy with my wife and kids. To me it is important to be able to get in and out of my car easily, feel safe and comfortable occasionally driving it to work or running errands, and have a level of reliability that also supports that. The result is I currently have a car that I can substitute for daily driving, errands, etc whenever I want to without sacrificing a whole lot from my more modern daily driver.

I have also been through the new/first kid thing and it changes your perspective. Until about age 4 or 5, it didn't make much sense to mix kids and cars because they were oblivious. Now that they are older I involve them a ton. In your case, I would say the first two or three years the main things to focus on with the car is keeping it in driving condition and not taking it down for some big long project that you wont have time for when you are taking care of a little one. I'd say it's not very important yet to make space for a carseat or that kind of thing because you are probably going to use it as a way of getting out and having time to yourself more than anything. I would think about smaller short term projects that you can get done in a weekend or less that will help bring it in line with your desire to be able to drive it on the road. While you are clearly capable of building something awesome, you may find yourself very short on time to do so after you have a kid.

I know you didn't ask for my $0.02 but there it is anyway. Congratulations on the becoming a father. I love every minute of it!
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      Smart move, I was offered ,by my boss to buy my 66 Caprice 4dr, but not sure he can come up with cash and really hate giving to someone else even for cash. Still have plans for it, and my 04 Grand Prix and my Monza, which the Caprice cash would have made possible very quickly over slow and slower and Im single and no kids.
      But do have spare 305TPI I can swap to Monza possibly. Time/weather are my tell as I have no garage yet.
      I am doing the opposite of you! I have too many project vehicles and want to get rid of a few. I would be happy with just one project vehicle right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sales-TCI-Eng View Post
      Are we going to see the Bug at the NMCA Autocross next weekend?
      You might see it but sadly you wont see it on the track racing. I want to get an Accusump installed before another race. Dont want to take any more chances with oil starvation. But I will be at the race after this one for sure! I will be getting the Accusump ordered and installed over the next couple of weeks so stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      I have been in your shoes to some degree owning a project vehicle that went just a little too far and strayed from what I really wanted. It felt like a burden because while it was very good at a specific task, it was awful at daily driving or being something fun my wife and kids could enjoy with me. When I sold it, I felt an enormous sense of relief and was able to focus on a more street-friendly project that I've kept tame enough to enjoy with my wife and kids. To me it is important to be able to get in and out of my car easily, feel safe and comfortable occasionally driving it to work or running errands, and have a level of reliability that also supports that. The result is I currently have a car that I can substitute for daily driving, errands, etc whenever I want to without sacrificing a whole lot from my more modern daily driver.

I have also been through the new/first kid thing and it changes your perspective. Until about age 4 or 5, it didn't make much sense to mix kids and cars because they were oblivious. Now that they are older I involve them a ton. In your case, I would say the first two or three years the main things to focus on with the car is keeping it in driving condition and not taking it down for some big long project that you wont have time for when you are taking care of a little one. I'd say it's not very important yet to make space for a carseat or that kind of thing because you are probably going to use it as a way of getting out and having time to yourself more than anything. I would think about smaller short term projects that you can get done in a weekend or less that will help bring it in line with your desire to be able to drive it on the road. While you are clearly capable of building something awesome, you may find yourself very short on time to do so after you have a kid.

I know you didn't ask for my $0.02 but there it is anyway. Congratulations on the becoming a father. I love every minute of it!
      I really do appreciate your input. You get where I am coming from at least. The thing that made me not want to sell the Bug is time. I can easily build another car but as you know, I am soon going to be short on free time / have better things to do with my free time. So instead, I can back convert the Bug and make it more of a driver. I honestly dont think it will be too bad to do. And the best part is that it shouldnt cost that much. After the Accusump gets installed, I am moving on to making it more drive-able. That part meaning a lot quieter exhaust, putting the windows back in and a lot more insulation. I dont care if it still rides how it does now but being able to have some sort of conversation with the person next to me while driving would be nice. AC and heat may even be in the future.

I like your plan. If you focus on the goal of making it a better driver, you will probably be happier. It's hard to do with some things because you feel like you're going backwards, but the reality is the tradeoff may very well be worth it to have a better driving experience. I reverted on a big cam once and also went from loud mufflers to quiet ones - both times I lost total power and the awesome rowdy loudness I loved but the changes were totally worth making the car more comfortable and driveable.

Hope to meet you some time. I am strongly considering registering for the May NMCA autocross myself. Seems like 2 days would be great if there's somewhere good to stay the night nearby.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I like your plan. If you focus on the goal of making it a better driver, you will probably be happier. It's hard to do with some things because you feel like you're going backwards, but the reality is the tradeoff may very well be worth it to have a better driving experience. I reverted on a big cam once and also went from loud mufflers to quiet ones - both times I lost total power and the awesome rowdy loudness I loved but the changes were totally worth making the car more comfortable and driveable.

Hope to meet you some time. I am strongly considering registering for the May NMCA autocross myself. Seems like 2 days would be great if there's somewhere good to stay the night nearby.
      I dont mind if I lose some power. I can always make it up with more boost or a bigger blower! Haha. I also dont mind my big cams that dont like to idle below 1200 rpm. It honestly drives great in terms of a user friendly power band.

Do the next NMCA race! They are always a blast. Lots of cool people to meet and Rob, the guy who puts the event on, is just as crazy as the rest of us. There are plenty of places to stay near the track. Just look at some of the hotels around the Ontario Mills mall. Its about 5 miles away from the track. I would also say you could swing by my place for a bbq but I am about 40 min in the opposite direction.

I would also say you could swing by my place for a bbq but I am about 40 min in the opposite direction.
      Orly? East or South? I'm in Yucaipa.
      www.totalcostinvolved.com
      "Quality doesn't cost, it pays"

Quote Originally Posted by Sales-TCI-Eng View Post
      Orly? East or South? I'm in Yucaipa.
      East then north. Up near Cal State San Bernardino.

Some great advice there. Only thing I would modify is the ages of mixing kids and cars. My son will be 3 in June, and just about any chance he gets he will ask if he can drive my car. And by driving he means sitting in the seat and moving the shifter making car sounds. (very similar to what I do as well haha) I'm looking forward to putting his seat in the back and cruising this summer with the wife and kid.

Another thing that I found about "free time" is that the mine shifted. I still made all the time in the world for my family, but I realized that sometimes they would be sleeping and I was awake(or couldn't sleep). So my free time to work on my cars came around 9-12pm. Although the "free" time came at the expense of sleep, but who needs that anyway...

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com