Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

78 Malibu project long time coming

Long time lurker. I'm mainly trying to absorb as much info as possible and decide the best route. Little back ground first. Bought this car in '94 when I was stationed in Georgia. My intent for it was for parts for my (at the time) daily driver 78 Malibu. I also had another '78 before that. Ended up my current car was in better shape than than the one I was driving. Swapped the drivetrain, a 283 and t350 trans, & a built a 3.42 geared 7.5" rearend. Drove it like that for about 2 years, until I got out of the Army and moved back to NY. Put it away for winter and bought a daily driver. It sat for a few years as life got in the way then I got it back out and started with little projects here and there. Ended up replacing the drivers side floor pan, passengers front floor pan, dash, carpet. I knew I had the typical G-bodys frame rot where the bushings meet the frame. Found this frame on Craigslist and decided now would be a good time. So I'll show some before pics and keep this updated as work progresses.

Starting point. Pic is from last summer before a local car show.

"New" frame

This is where I stopped for tonight. Top and sides are cleaned up, time to flip it over and do the bottom.

Few interior shots.these were after the floor pans and before I replaced the dash.

Making progress on the frame. My buddy came over with his plasma cutter and cut the rear frame rails in half so I can notch them for wider tires. Saved me a lot of time and cutoff wheels.

Any chance you got the frame from a guy named Gary?

So what are your plans for it?

I did as a matter of fact. How do you know him? I'm cleaning and prepping this frame to go under my car and make the swap go a little quicker.

nice! I had a '78 malibu back in the day, got it as part of a deal for my '70 Nova. the malibu was white with a dark red interior, and 3 speed stick! looked great, slow as mud. had to get rid of it, couldn't afford to make it the way the wanted.

I always preferred the 78 of all the years of the metric malibus, just because of the taillights, lol. the sides of the tails are cut at an angle, all later years are squared off. that and the single headlights look great IMO.
      Keith C.

Haha, That's the reason I love 78's too! First one I had was white with red bucket seats and console. Second was two tone silver and black with a black bench interior, then this one. This one used to be baby blue inside and out with a bench seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
      I did as a matter of fact. How do you know him? I'm cleaning and prepping this frame to go under my car and make the swap go a little quicker.
      Yellowbullet.com is all over this guy.

Haha, That's the reason I love 78's too! First one I had was white with red bucket seats and console. Second was two tone silver and black with a black bench interior, then this one. This one used to be baby blue inside and out with a bench seat.
      how long ago did you have the white one?
      Keith C.

White one was back 1990, It only lasted about 2 years. Looked good at first, but was full of bondo and soon rotted away.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Howell View Post
      Yellowbullet.com is all over this guy.
      I'm not on YB. Ive heard about some of the drama that goes on over there, I don't need it. Did he stiff people or something? Seemed nice to me when I dealt with him & picked up the frame.

White one was back 1990, It only lasted about 2 years. Looked good at first, but was full of bondo and soon rotted away.
      that's funny; I was living on LI at that time, about 91 or 92 I helped a friend buy this 78 as his first car. bodywork was just done, appliance white, red interior w/ buckets, 3 speed stick, junkyard SBC. he couldn't ever get a hang of driving stick, so I wound up getting it, and then sold it again.

couldn't be the same car?

when I sold it it had Trans Am GTA grey buckets and rally wheels.
      Keith C.

No, mine was an automatic... Plus I blew the engine and the trans was slipping bad. Tow truck driver took it to use the interior for his El Camino.

Was able to get one side done tonight. Hopefully do the other side tomorrow night.

Finished up the second side. Now to finish cleaning the bottom of the frame and start painting it.

Looks like great work.

Thank you!

Man, you work fast. Looks good!
      I'm not on YB. Ive heard about some of the drama that goes on over there, I don't need it. Did he stiff people or something? Seemed nice to me when I dealt with him & picked up the frame.
      Not sure. Don't want to clog your thread with stupid BS.

Should've been faster but my back hasn't been co-operating the last few weeks. So I work a few hours then have to stop. Just picked my mess up, swept and have the frame back on stands. Going to finish cleaning the bottom of it tomorrow. Then I need to wipe it down with grease remover and start painting. That will make me feel like I actually accomplished something. Then comes the hard part, tearing the car apart to start the swap. LOL

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com