Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

65 Skylark project

This will be a slow project. My wallet will only allow so much room at once for improvements. I posted a before and after pic.
      I wanted a rust free project that I could drive almost immediately but didn't want to fool with any rust.
      Found this gem last fall and it is very solid for a starting point. Being an A body car theres lots of support. Paint is amateur but presentable, interior is very good and I cant prove it but I believe the odometer shows true miles at 44k.

So far I've added seat belts, wheels/tires and shocks. I'm collecting parts for a disc brake conversion. I plan to use machined hubs and transplant LS1 F body brakes all around. I've already located a big block Buick motor that should find its way under the hood eventually. It currently has a 73 model 350 SBB for power that's a bit tired, but runs.

This will not be a high dollar build but rather a slow process. I hope to get my 10 y/o son involved when and where I can and he's already expressed a lot of interest.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1969 Wife, all stock no mods. Factory redhead package.
      2005 Son. Blond headed, blue eyes with factory hell on wheels package.
      A couple of cars too.

Added a few more pictures.
      I also forgot to add the wheel/tire specs.

Wheels are 17x8 with 4.5" BS. Tires are 245/45/17 square. No rubbing issues that I've noticed just test driving in the subdivision but we'll see once I do any cornering at speed.
      A couple of cars too.

Nice! Brings back memories of my first car; 1965 Buick Special
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

This car is beautiful!!
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

Very nice. A Grand Sport at that.

I said it was going to be a slow build but I did pick up what I hope to be the new power plant.
      I scored a Big Block Buick 455 from a local guy. Its been sitting on his garage floor for the last 15 years. it was supposedly rebuilt when he got it. It appears to some work done but I haven't torn it down yet.
      Its a 70' model with the corresponding 70' heads (non stage 1) that I'll do some home porting on before installing.

Name:  20160227_165623.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  57.4 KBName:  20160228_111536.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  45.3 KBName:  20160228_111418.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  48.0 KB
      A couple of cars too.

Nice car. Glad to see another Buick.

A few boxes have shown up. In the mean time I've been fixing little things here and there that are free or cheap.
      My starter was acting up and its almost as cheap to put a reman on it as it is to rebuild one so that has happened.
      I played around with the timing a bit and finally got it set but it still runs a little rough for my liking.
      I installed a set of mech guages, the standard Oil press, Temp and Voltage. I dont have a tach but at idle I'm
      seeing 18psi oil pressure at 195*
      Cold is upwards of 55psi but thats also above hot idle speed.
      BMR springs showed up yesterday, hope to get them in this weekend. They are a 2" drop so I hope to keep the stance the same. The ones on it now are just worn out stockers.
      I ordered a USA230 radio for a Buick that should be here any day so we can have some tunes now. The original AM turns
      on but nothing comes out.
      I really need to figure out what to do about my fuse block. I pulled it off the firewall and tried to clean it but
      the grease or whatever it was has hardened into some type of hard black stuff that is like glue. The only way to get a fuse out
      is to break it into pieces with a small flatip screwdriver. I've replaced most of them and wire brushed, sanded some of the
      affected areas. I guess it just takes time. Thats about it for now.
      I've got my eye on the FITECH system and am really thinking about pulling the trigger on that.
      I can use it now on my SBB but also on a BBB if I ever finish the one on the stand in the garage.

That's it for now. I did say it was going to be a slow build.
      A couple of cars too.

What a difference a set of wheels makes!

Great find on that car. Buicks are an absolute bargain compared to their Chevy and Poncho cousins, plus they are unique. Many parts are interchangeable but a bunch aren't. I thought that A body hood hinges would swap out but such was not the case. Anyway, check before you buy.

it would be a good idea to replace all that 50 year old wiring, check into American Autowire Classic Update replacement harness. The fuse block uses the new ATO fuses and it is easy to stall.

This may be a slow build, but you're miles ahead by not having to replace a bunch of rot.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Steve, you read my mind. I get into an A body for a fraction of the price and got a great piece to start with. The body on this one is solid. I wanted something that I didn't have to replace any sheet metal on, at all. It is kinda cool to be the only guy in a car like this at cruise ins and shows also. Thanks for the heads up on the wiring harness, I'll look into it. This one is an unmolested original but it is 50 years old.
      A couple of cars too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      What a difference a set of wheels makes!

Great find on that car. Buicks are an absolute bargain compared to their Chevy and Poncho cousins, plus they are unique. Many parts are interchangeable but a bunch aren't. I thought that A body hood hinges would swap out but such was not the case. Anyway, check before you buy.

it would be a good idea to replace all that 50 year old wiring, check into American Autowire Classic Update replacement harness. The fuse block uses the new ATO fuses and it is easy to stall.

This may be a slow build, but you're miles ahead by not having to replace a bunch of rot.
      I'll second the AA Classic wiring update. Nothing worse than dealing with old crappy wiring especially when stranded away from home. A great investment for a car you want to enjoy.

Kerry
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

So I made a bit more progress. I installed an autosound230 radio. I did not want to cut up the dash or try to hide one in the glove box. I'm pleased with the way it turned out. It only has a couple of speakers for now but works well enough. The stock AM had given up the ghost long ago. I also installed a set of gauges. Just the basic oil/temp/volt stuff.
      I put a set of BMR 2" lowering springs in and it leveled the rear up left to right. The stock springs were past gone and the shocks were probably the originals from the factory. I used a set of new cheap shocks but its still an improvement. With the springs I used Energy Susp poly locators. The wheels tuck nicely in the rear. The front is next but I'm still gathering parts for a disc brake conversion and will do it all at once.
      A couple of cars too.

Dang, that car is sharp!

I love how Buick put the bumpers in tight against the body way back then. It's the big new deal these days.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      Dang, that car is sharp!

I love how Buick put the bumpers in tight against the body way back then. It's the big new deal these days.
      Yeah! What he said.

Those wheels look great on there.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

Name:  console 3.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  101.6 KBName:  console 4.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  145.1 KBName:  console2.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  136.9 KBName:  console.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  173.9 KBToday was one step forward, one step back.
      Went to have duals put on but it overheated on the way there. Turned around and drove it home after a brief cooling period and 3 liters of water. I'll get it figured out.
      I did pull the console out and install a new tachometer where the stock (non working) was. I had to disassemble the new one and do a lot of trimming and test fitting but got it to fit. I fastened the assembly to the housing and then made a bracket to hold the entire housing tight to the console.

While I had it out I used a soft copper wire brush, steel wool, neverdull and elbow grease to clean it. Now I have a working tach w/shift light in a 50 year old console that looks like new money.

Not complete without pics so...
      A couple of cars too.

Cool build....Ive been considering a '66 Skylark for all the same reasons

Wow - looks like new"
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Nice job.

I had not cleaned it yet in the 2nd picture so it looks a bit dirty still but y'all get the idea.

Thanks guys!

1989GTA, your build is where I get a lot of my inspiration. Mine will be more limited but you've got some great ideas.
      A couple of cars too.

I scored a set of LS1 brakes from the local pull a part today for $68. New hubs and adapters from BRP Hotrods will be here Friday. Already have a booster/Master Cylinder and a proportioning valve so at this point I just need some lines and odds and ends. Excited to get a major upgrade started. Car currently has original single bail master cylinder and 4 wheel drums. Pics to follow...
      A couple of cars too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com