Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

SCCA Brings Back the CAM Challenge

Name:  CAM Challenge Graphic.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  51.8 KB

After a lot of debate about CAM (Classic American Muscle) rules (and forgive me, but those SCCA guys LOVE to debate rules). Instead of showing up and having a good time without a bible of what you can and cannot have on your car, there had to be some additions to level-set some of the fairness between the three CAM Classes. A few (or more) changes have been instituted for 2016 and they're back at it in four regions this year. While Speedway won't be the marquis sponsor, several other companies have stepped up to take their place.
      2016 CAM handout - Final 11-3-15.pdf

As a point of reference, I ran the Midwest event called CAM Challenge East - in Peru Indiana. I can honestly say it was probably the most fun I had all year. The track was big, wide open and fast! The people were GREAT, the runs were plenty and the fun was big. Even when the rain came in for the final rounds, it was a blast seeing how fast the champs could go on a wet, uneven airport tarmac.

What I look for in a successful autocross event:
      Did I get enough runs for my money?
      Was the event well organized?
      Did the tech inspection, registration, etc go hassle free?
      Is the pit well managed to maximize everyone's run time?
      Did I have fun with the people who attended?
      Was there a fun and interesting group of cars and drivers?
      Did I like the course?

I can check yes for all of the above when it comes to the CAM Challenge. If you don't like SCCA, you will probably like the CAM challenge -- even though the SCCA name is on the logo.

Hooray!!! Looking forward to visit Peru in something a little quicker this year
      99 Camaro Z28 M6 - ESP autocross setup - 90 % complete

2015 Toledo Pro Solo - ESP Class Winner
      2015 Toledo/Kentucky Match Tour - ESP Class Winner
      2015 Optima USCA MIS - GT Autocross Winner

If all goes as planned, I'll be in Indiana for the CAM Challenge East! It'll be my first event outside of the regional level.
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

great that CAM (classic american classic) is staying strong....cant wait to run it

Is the CAM Challenge an open event or do you have to qualify? Is there a web site with specific event info? Where in Peru do they have room to hold such an event?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

It's open, register and show up. It is held at Grissom AFB, all concrete and pretty damn good grip.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I believe all three CAM classes at the three challenges and the Solo Nationals event will be very well attended by Cammers this year. I intend to attend all the CAM events and three National Tour events, and maybe a Match Tour on the way to another event. I would hope that the Farmers also sigh up for the National Tour events that in addition to the CAM Challenges.

Also, I asked SCCA to look into bringing back the old Solo I (now called Solo Trials) at the National Level like the National Tours. Solo Trials is nothing more than a faster autocross. Solo Trials are not held on road race courses. They are usually a faster type autocross events held at airports with lots of room. In the past a Solo Trial course was designed to include runs that have a number of Laps to count as a run for time.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I believe all three CAM classes at the three challenges and the Solo Nationals event will be very well attended by Cammers this year. I intend to attend all the CAM events and three National Tour events, and maybe a Match Tour on the way to another event. I would hope that the Farmers also sigh up for the National Tour events that in addition to the CAM Challenges.

Also, I asked SCCA to look into bringing back the old Solo I (now called Solo Trials) at the National Level like the National Tours. Solo Trials is nothing more than a faster autocross. Solo Trials are not held on road race courses. They are usually a faster type autocross events held at airports with lots of room. In the past a Solo Trial course was designed to include runs that have a number of Laps to count as a run for time.

I think the Solo Trials would be very conducive for our CAM cars and an excellent opportunity to really use the power in a safe environment.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post

Kenny,

Solo I sort of has been re-born as Club Trial. No cones but timing. On the other hand, Solo Trials are a lot like the old Solo I but not held on race tracks. Speeds are higher, approaching 100mph. We held our first one last fall @ Grissom and it was a blast! We'll be doing it again this fall.
      Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

Sorry Kenny, should have read more carefully, you talked about Solo Trials. I blame my lapse on the multiple bourbon and Cokes I have enjoyed this evening.
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      Sorry Kenny, should have read more carefully, you talked about Solo Trials. I blame my lapse on the multiple bourbon and Cokes I have enjoyed this evening.
      Dave - You might want to switch to Pepsi and scrap the Coke. It will help to enjoy the morning afters.

Doug Gill said that he was going to have Staff look into bringing back the Solo I's (Solo Trials) and hold events at the National Level like the Tour. He said they may start working on it after the Convention.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Dave - You might want to switch to Pepsi and scrap the Coke. It will help to enjoy the morning afters.

Doug Gill said that he was going to have Staff look into bringing back the Solo I's (Solo Trials) and hold events at the National Level like the Tour. He said they may start working on it after the Convention.
      Pepsi?! NEVER! Ruin good liquor with that stuff! LOL
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Registration for the 3 open Cam Challenges on SCCA.com Here's the link, go register today! http://www.scca.com/pages/cam-challenge

Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T