Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Wheels with close to the same dish/lip. Front & back. 69 Camaro

Hey guys,

I am not a big fan of having such a huge difference on the rims dish/lip between the front to back wheels.

Dumb question maybe, but,,, is it possible to have close to the same dish/lip on the front & back wheels, having a 18 X 8.5" front & a 18 X 12" rear wheels?

Or is there some sort of fitment issues if you do not have a deep dish/lip on the rear wheels?

I don't mind a little difference between the front and back wheels, they do not need to be exactly even between the two. (front & back wheels)

My plans are a mini tub, Chassisworks g-LINK.

Thank you.

There is absolutely no difference in fitment with what you're wanting to do.

Let's say you originally had the same wheels at all 4 corners. Same 17x8 same back spacing of 4.5".
      Now you want to mini tub the rear and step to 12". It's as easy as adding back spacing to the wheel. No difference in fitment besides the wheel tubs of course. No reason to narrow the rear end. The front spacing remains the same front and back.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Thank you Dale,

Another question, I have a DSE mini tub kit that I need to install as I stated earlier, I plan on getting a Chassisworks g-LINK, should I do the mini tub kit first, or install the Chassisworks g-LINK first?

Are their any fitment issues by doing the DSE mini tub & installing the Chassisworks g-LINK afterwards?

Thanks again.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the install of the G-link but I'm sure someone else will chime in!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I have 18x9 front with about 2" lip and 18x12 rear (8" Backspace) with about 3 3/4" lip. Stock width 12 bolt. I had a shop install the mini-tub first then I installed the ridetech 4-link at home, which is similar.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      '69 Camaro - 427 SBC 526hp, 593 ft-lbs, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335

We can have a set custom built, and there are options to do what you are asking. Can go with a monoblock forged wheel, and have front and rear virtually the same. Or we can do some concave 3-piece wheels and push the centers out on the rear. Obviously, this becomes easier if your rear axle isn't narrowed too much, or any at all. Let me know if you need some help.

Tony
      Co-Founder, LS1TECH.com

Forged Wheel Dealer, Contact me for a quote!
      www.DV8Motoring.com

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac69 View Post
      I have 18x9 front with about 2" lip and 18x12 rear (8" Backspace) with about 3 3/4" lip. Stock width 12 bolt. I had a shop install the mini-tub first then I installed the ridetech 4-link at home, which is similar.
      Your Camaro looks really nice. Can't see the rear wheels though.

That is what I am looking to do on my Camaro. What front subframe are you running, if stock, does the tires rub? What size tires are you using?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mean buzzen half dozen View Post
      Your Camaro looks really nice. Can't see the rear wheels though.
      They're there. You may have to scroll to the right a bit, there should be a scroll bar directly under the image.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

DOH!

And I looked for the scroll bar.

Thx, What about my other questions?

What front subframe are you running, if stock, does the tires rub? What size tires are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac69 View Post
      Just a bump,
      was wondering if any other of you guys have used a stock width rear end and use 12" wheels on the rear?
      Post some pics!!

Mean, finishing up on my kid's camaro. Currently G-link in back with stock width 9". Stock Sub with lots fo aftermarket parts. Current tire and wheels are 17*9.5; 255/40r17 18*10.5; 295/35r18 (C5 Z06). 12' wheel would fit fine with additional backspace. Pics included of profile and rear. Also, we mini-tubbed the car prior to g-link install. i believe that there 2 different kits based upon whether the car is tubbed or not. Thanks, MattName:  IMG_20170821_090431_01.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  134.3 KBName:  IMG_20170526_133028_01.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  230.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      Mean, finishing up on my kid's camaro. Currently G-link in back with stock width 9". Stock Sub with lots fo aftermarket parts. Current tire and wheels are 17*9.5; 255/40r17 18*10.5; 295/35r18 (C5 Z06). 12' wheel would fit fine with additional backspace. Pics included of profile and rear. Also, we mini-tubbed the car prior to g-link install. i believe that there 2 different kits based upon whether the car is tubbed or not. Thanks, MattName:  IMG_20170821_090431_01.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  134.3 KBName:  IMG_20170526_133028_01.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  230.2 KB
      Thanks for the pics!
      Looks nice!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com