Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

2016 San Diego SCCA CAM-T Race for the season updates

Two things we are lucky to have here in San Diego are year--round Autocrossing and a great group of Muscle Car guys who get their cars out and run them hard. I'm hoping by posting a quick report of our races, our cars, our drivers, and year-long championship battle, more Pro-Touring.com users will come and join us. We race on Sunday's at the Qualcomm parking lot in San Diego, and the CAM-T guys are easy to find because the grill always has lunch on it, surrounded by V8 American thunder and dudes talking cars.

Our first race was last Sunday, we had 11 Different Drivers in 9 Muscle Cars. The track at Qualcomm this time was tight (but not Goodguys tight), 3/4 of a mile long with lots of elevation changes. It really tests the car and driver with off camber down hill turns and a surface that is deteriorating. There are 5 Clubs that rotate course design so sometimes it's more wide open and like today, sometimes it's tight. This video from a CAM-C Mustang shows the track, and some of the CAM-T cars as he pulls back in the pits:

https://youtu.be/Jv0rApVgUZk

Ill pick one car a race (usually the winner) to go in more depth on, but here is a quick rundown on some of the cars, I'll update tires as they change, because sometimes you'll see a big difference in the standings as this years newer sticky tires get added.

2nd Place: Alcino's 1976 Mustang Cobra II seen here in the BFGoodrich Video: https://youtu.be/YvhF_C6EBMA
      This was his first race since he has since lengthened his wheelbase 4 inches (I'm not kidding) and added 200 lbs of Ballast so he can race with us in CAM-T this year. He daily drives this car, and is still on last years 12K mile, 12 Autocross events and one USCA event 255/40/17 Dunlop Z2 tires.

3rd and 4th place: Tom and Richard co-drove a 1967 Valiant that is Hotchkis equipped on last years 275/35/18 Bridgestone RE-71R tires that have 16 Autocross events and a USCA event on them and are dying quickly...

5th Place: Bry ran his newly CAM-T legal 1971 Maverick on 255F 275R Falken RT615Ks. These tires have a ton of laps since Bry used them all last year on Sat practice and Sun Raceday's.

6th Place: Charles drove his 1973 LS powered DSE equipped Camaro with 255F 275R RE-71R tires with 8 Autocrosses and a USCA event on them as well.

7th Place: Mike Young was there in the iconic 1965 Green Hotchkis Mustang test car. If you Autocross on the West Coast, you've raced with Mike. He was on last years 215F 245R Falken RT615Ks.

8th and 9th Place: George and Jeff were in a 1967 Chevelle in its first Autocross with a new setup, and the toughest job wheeling the big Chevelle around a very tight course. In addition it was their first time on a set of used 19" Michelin Super Sports (300 TW).

10th and 11th Place: Pauls 1969 Mustang and Kraigs 1971 Camaro are still early in their Autocross builds, and they are still learning the SCCA Autocross courses. They both made huge improvements in lap times each lap, and those times will improve alot more when they move to 200 TW Autocross tires.

But the big winner was Ian Sakurai, with an incredible come-from-1.5 seconds-behind last lap effort that edged out Alcino. Ian has cart-racing experience and used it (and more aggressive left-foot braking) on the winning lap, beating us and all the CAM-C late model Mustang and Camaros as well. He takes the first win and the points lead in the 1966 Hotchkis Mustang with a mild 302, T-5 trans, and 1/2 year old 245F 255R Bridgestone RE-71R tires.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Great post Tom.

Great write up Tom. It great to be racing with the rest of the cam t cars this year!
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

So jealous of the locale... Thanks for the write up Tom! Keep them coming.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Looks like fun. 3 months till our season starts. We should have a pretty decent CAM group running here as well.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Thanks guys, should be super competitive this year, I'd love updates on your regions as well!

1967 Plymouth Valiant

Most of us are deep into our off season upgrade projects... Suffering from a bit of autocross envy here...
      Lance

That's a great write-up. Keep them coming! I'm so jealous! I wish my regions had that kind of turnout consistently.
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

Our luck ran out for our second race last Sunday, we again had 11 Different Drivers in 8 different Muscle Cars, but this time the weather was not normal San Diego, wind and rain took out our easy up, and many of our egos. The track at Qualcomm this time was more wide open, which meant more speed, if you could handle the braking and turning in the wet after each straight. Still on our West lot with lots of elevation changes. It really tests the car and driver with off camber down hill turns and a surface that is deteriorating, and this time, standing water. I added some build thread links if you want to check out these cars in more detail...

2nd place, by just a hair, Ian in the Hotchkis Mustang on 245/255 RE-71R tires, this car was the class of the field in the rain today. He retains his season points lead with a first and a second so far.

3rd Place: Alcino's 1976 Mustang Cobra II seen here in the BFGoodrich Video: https://youtu.be/YvhF_C6EBMA
      This was his second race since he has since lengthened his wheelbase 4 inches and added 200 lbs of Ballast so he can race with us in CAM-T this year. He daily drives this car, and is still on last years 12K mile, 15 Autocross events and one USCA event 255/40/17 Dunlop Z2 tires. He is a solid second in points with a 2nd and a 3rd to start the season. I found an OLD build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sion-uncovered

4th place was Daniel in a nicely prepped Fox Mustang, it has a complete SLA front suspension and was on old Nitto NT-05 tires, which did better in the rain than I thought. His last lap would have tied for 3rd, if not for one cone... Build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...h-on-the-cheap

5th and 6th place: Tom and Richard co-drove a 1967 Valiant that is Hotchkis equipped and tried a last second Hail Mary switch to smaller 245/275 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It didn't work, not enough front end grip to get into top 3. Build thread: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...race-2015.html

7th Place: Bry ran his newly CAM-T legal 1971 Maverick on 255F 275R Falken RT615Ks. These tires have a ton of laps since Bry used them all last year on Sat practice and Sun Raceday's. In the rain, they were better than expected. Check out his build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ter-than-stock

8th Place: Mike Young was there in the iconic 1965 Green Hotchkis Mustang test car. If you Autocross on the West Coast, you've raced with Mike. He was on last years 215F 245R Falken RT615Ks. In the rain, he kept his cool, and his windows down....

9th and 10th Place: Rich and Jeff were in a 1966 Mustang that may become the new Reiss Racing rent-a-racer. Still stock, you can notice by the lean, it needs some Hotchkis help ASAP. Jeff is a SCCA veteran of many events, while Rich was racing his very first SCCA event. Both currently have CAM-T cars being built at Reiss Racing.

11th Place: Kraigs 1971 Camaro is still early in its Autocross life, and he is still learning the SCCA Autocross courses. Again huge improvements in lap times each lap, and those times will improve alot more when he makes the move to 200 TW Autocross tires.

But the big winner was George Reiss, in Ian's Hotchkis Mustang, driving the car for the first time ever, and incredibly in the rain! He used his off road racing experience on the winning lap, beating us with tail out and drifting through every set of turns. He makes a huge jump in the points by following up his 8th place with a win.

1967 Plymouth Valiant

And our poor CAM-S buddy Bryan's truck with new spacers (they looked ok) but the lugs all stripped away on lap one....

1967 Plymouth Valiant

And more

1967 Plymouth Valiant

Special shout out to Larry Houghton at www.lateapexphoto.com for weathering the weather to get these awesome shots!

1967 Plymouth Valiant

Racing in the rain always makes for GREAT pics...and separates the wheat from the chaff if you get my drift. Great shots...
      Lance

Hey! I know those cars! Cool write up Tom, and too fun racing with you guys. I'm counting down the days until the 14th.

Danny
      (fox mustang 889)

edit: For sake of people reading researching tires, I am currently running Nitto NT05 255/40/17front 275/40/17 rear
      Last edited by LERM; 02-08-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added tire type/size
      CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

Bill C. & Diane C. Would that be Bill and Diane Cadenhead? If so, I guess Bill is no longer campaigning the Bug after all these years. Glad to see him in a Corvette and in CAM. That would be kool to see Dan and Keli Cadenhead come back out and also run in CAM.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Nice write up and great pics. Any more of the stretched MII. I'd really like to see this one turns out.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Lance, I was definitely the Chaff...
      Kenny that was the infamous Cadenheads, they still race the Bug, but didn't want to bring it out in the rain.
      Danny, great having you join us, looking forward to next weekends dry event to see the Foxbody in full form!
      Chris, Alcino hasn't finished the front fender mods... Obviously...

1967 Plymouth Valiant

A preview video of Chads 2nd Place from our 3rd event:

http://youtu.be/u3QML0zIbHY

1967 Plymouth Valiant

And here is Danny's 5th place run:

https://youtu.be/onkKutkVwC4

1967 Plymouth Valiant

The videos are such awesome tools. I've watched mine compared to Kaustav and Chad, and my "big" mistakes are glaringly obvious. Can't wait for March.
      CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com