"And here's Danny, woefully offpace"

Next time, Tom... next time...

CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by LERM View Post
      The videos are such awesome tools. I've watched mine compared to Kaustav and Chad, and my "big" mistakes are glaringly obvious. Can't wait for March.
      Agreed. I love it when other drivers post up their vids with data overlays so you can compare how others are taking a course you ran.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Our best turnout yet last Sunday, we had an unbelievable 16 CAM-T Drivers in 12 different Muscle Cars. We had 3 really nice 1st Gen Camaros out there getting beat on that are all very nice high-dollar cars, great to see those owners using them to their abilities, and the other SCCAers loved it. We had a great track at Qualcomm this time that was fast and technical, it gave low-time Autocrossers fits, lots of DNFs trying to figure it out particularly since we were the last run group running into the setting sun. This was perhaps the best test yet of car and driver. If you have only Autocrossed at Goodguys, you really owe it to yourself to at least try an SCCA Autocross. I added some build thread links if you want to check out these cars in more detail...

A couple good videos of track from 2nd and 5th place....

http://youtu.be/u3QML0zIbHY

https://youtu.be/onkKutkVwC4

2nd Place was Chad in his really sweet V3.0 1968 TCI equipped Camaro. Add a 427 LS and a 6 speed and hold on. He lives about 1.5 hours away so he doesn't make all our races, but as he proved here, whenever he shows up, he has a chance to win. 315R, 275F Falken RT-615K. Build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ro-V3-0-begins

3rd Place was Tom (me) driving Alcino's 76 Mustang Cobra. This was the first time I'd driven this car and holy cow it handles phenomenally. I have never driven a better balanced Muscle Car. More on it at the bottom of this post.

4th place, after starting the season with a win and a second place was Ian in the Hotchkis Mustang on 245/255 RE-71R tires, He lost some of his lead on Alcino, but still retains the season points lead.

5th place was Daniel in a nicely prepped Fox Mustang, it has a complete SLA front suspension and was on old Nitto NT-05 tires. we all know in this class we need to beat him while we can since he is planning an obnoxious 18x11 all around Rival set up soon. Build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...h-on-the-cheap

6th place was another invader from our north Kevin in his sweet 1965 LS powered Chevelle. I'm trying to find a build thread on this one so you can see how nice it is.

7th place was the always improving Charles in his 1973 LS Camaro. His best results to date, and a great drive against some really fast cars. Build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...oject-reForged

8th Place: Mike Young was there in the iconic 1965 Green Hotchkis Mustang test car. If you Autocross on the West Coast, you've raced with Mike. He was on last years 215F 245R Falken RT615Ks. an excellent drive here as well, he beat some fast cars today.

9th and 16th Place: Jeff and Michael were in a 1966 Mustang that has become the new Reiss Racing rent-a-racer. Still mostly stock, you can notice by the lean, it is set to receive upgrades each race as people literally are renting it. Jeff is a SCCA veteran of many events, while Michael was racing his very first Non-Chevelle. Both currently have CAM-T cars being built at Reiss Racing.

10th and 15th Place: Richard and Kraig in Kraigs 1971 Camaro. The Camaro does not have 200tw tires, and on a tough course like this you can see the huge difference in times an experienced Autocrosser can make, even with a car not set up for this.

11th Place: Bry ran his newly CAM-T legal 1973 Maverick on new 255/40/17 Bridgestone RE-71R in the front, with his old 275/40-17 Falken RT615Ks in back. This served to completely change the handling of the car to stuck like glue in the front, and the rear seemingly uncontrollable. Hopefully two more RE-71Rs for the back next race. Check out his build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ter-than-stock

12th Place was Tom T joining us for the first time on Championship Sunday in his 1967 Camaro. Definately an early Pro-Touring Vibe from this fuel injected LT1 6 speed beauty. He was running the 275/315 Falken combo as well. I don't have a build thread yet on it.

13th and 14th Place was George Reiss and Fred in Fred's over-the-top Yellow 1969 Camaro. 680 RWHP Aluminum Big Block, check. 6 Speed Tremec and Hydraboost Brembos, Check. DSE and 275/335 Rival S tires, check. So how did the guy who won last week in Ian's Mustang finish 13th in this beast? It just goes to show you can't just throw parts at a car to do well at AutoCross, it takes time and effort to make everything work well together and for the driver to get used to each components "quirks". Ridiculous HP and Torque may not always be a good thing.

And our big winner was Alcino, with a great Momentum run in his newly stretched wheelbase 1976 Mustang Cobra II, still on a full year old daily driven set of Dunlop ZIIs. About 1/2 the HP of the 2nd place Camaro, and way less tire, yet crazy fast, well sorted, and outstandingly piloted. His time was faster than all the CAM-C late model Mustangs, and he beat all the Vettes in CAM-S as well. OLD build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sion-uncovered
      Attached Images Attached Images        

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Mo pics

1967 Plymouth Valiant

And More

1967 Plymouth Valiant

Looks like fun.. especially in the rain.. I'll have to find my way down there sometime..

What's the story on the stepside?

Art the 79 C10 step side is a guy named Bryan's who is just getting started as well, it has a late model truck LS and 4 spd automatic, but he is on used tires and is still working out the handling bugs... He really isn't that far off the Vettes....

1967 Plymouth Valiant

Great write up Tom!
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

That was a fun read, enjoyed the pics, and the videos showed a fantastically long autocross course...

Color me jealous...
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

I've got to come down and join you all this year.

George Dias
      1973 Camaro
      2002 SVT Lightning
      2003 Z06 Corvette

2015 Truckin Throwdown Champion http://www.trucktrend.com/events/tru...by-ebc-brakes/

Thanks Lance and Bry, and yes, George, you need to join us! March 6th is next on the big lot...

1967 Plymouth Valiant

Great reporting job Tom!! We might have to make you the CAM Race news team haha. Im working closely now with Bryant at Current Auto Performance to develop a pretty wild suspension coming soon. With Current Auto Performance as my sponsor now, and working some with the legendary Ron Sutton, i think the black beast will be a contender for these corvettes with the 1000# weight advantage. Progress will be slow as there is not much build time with our race schedule here in the awesome San Diego Region. But fear not we will bring you a show for sure.

Another Awesome turnout last Sunday, 13 CAM-T Drivers in 10 different Muscle Cars. The track at Qualcomm this time that was VERY fast and really challenged us to keep our speed up and if you lifted at a point where you really didn't need to, your lap was blown. We had a few of our heavy hitters out for various reasons car repair/upgrade related so a good chance for people to make moves in the point standings. Speeds of up to 65MPH were possible, so again if you have only Autocrossed at Goodguys, you really owe it to yourself to at least try an SCCA Autocross. I added some build thread links if you want to check out these cars in more detail...

2nd Place was Jeff L driving Alcino's 76 Mustang Cobra in its first event on brand new 255/40/17 Bridgestone RE-71R all around. This car was hard to catch before, and new sticky tires don't help. Jeff had the lead until the very last lap.

3rd and 6th place was George R and the always improving Charles in his 1973 LS Camaro. His best results to date, this Camaro is starting to gain ground against some really fast cars. Look for it at optima Vegas this month. Still on last years 255/275 Bridgestone Re-71Rs. Build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...oject-reForged

4th place was Daniel in his nicely prepped Fox Mustang, it has a complete SLA front suspension and was on old Nitto NT-05 tires. The Fox in the CAM-T Henhouse hasn't won yet, but he is lurking in the top 5 even on his old tires. Build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...h-on-the-cheap

5th place was another car about to run at The optima Ultimate Street Car in Vegas was Kevin in his sweet 1965 LS powered Chevelle. He says there is a build thread on a Chevelle forum somewhere but I couldn't find it.

7th Place: Mike Young was there in the iconic 1965 Green Hotchkis Mustang test car, still on last years 215F 245R Falken RT615Ks. Another great drive by Mike, down on HP to almost every other car, he used the Hotchkis parts and his skills to finish solidly.

8th Place was Tom T joining us for only his 2nd time on Championship Sunday in his 1967 Camaro. Pictures don't do justice to this fuel injected LT1 6 speed beauty. He was running the 275/315 Falken RT615K combo. I don't have a build thread yet on it.

9th Place: Bry ran his newly CAM-T legal 1973 Maverick on new 255/40/17 Bridgestone RE-71R in the front, with his old 275/40-17 Falken RT615Ks in back. This served to completely change the handling of the car to stuck like glue in the front, and the rear seemingly uncontrollable. Hopefully two more RE-71Rs for the back next race. Check out his build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ter-than-stock

10th and 11th place was Ian and Will in a really cool 55 F100 that made its first Autocross appearance. Amazingly their best times were within 4/100ths of a second of each other. Not sure of the sizes but it was on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and really came out on its maiden voyage fully sorted and with no issues.

12th Place: Richard was in the 1966 Mustang Reiss Racing rent-a-racer. Still way-too stock, you can notice by the lean, it is set to receive upgrades each race as people literally are renting it. Richard has a cool 1966 Fastback being built at Reiss Racing.

13th Place: Kraig in his 1971 Camaro. The Camaro does not have 200tw tires, and on a tough course like this you can see the huge difference in times that can make.

And again our big winner was Alcino, with a Herculean come from behind last lap. His newly stretched wheelbase 1976 Mustang Cobra II was sporting new front fenders, and it's new set of RE-71Rs. It may take him a couple more laps to master these new tires as his time was not faster than all the CAM-C late model Mustangs, but he still beat all the Vettes in CAM-S. OLD build thread here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sion-uncovered

1967 Plymouth Valiant

There is Tom once again with a great recap of the event. It's almost like I was there myself. Great job and kudos to all the San Diego CAM entrants for putting on a great show.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Lesson learned: Pay ATTENTION during the course walk. Especially when you only get one.

Apparently I was a little too casual and forgot how the course went. It didn't help that the designer likes to use minimum cones and creates interesting features. I've never had 3 DNFs in row and each one made the following run much more stressful. Even that last run(thankful we get 4 here!) was ugly as I was frantically scanning the course trying not to miss anything, but not flowing smoothly at all as I mashed the brake then gas with each hesitation. When I crossed the line I didn't know if the run was clean and no one was willing to confirm it. It wasn't until the next run group I was told I won and that they have never seen any one move up 12 spots from last to win on the last run. It wasn't too enjoyable during the runs but it now makes for a good story after the fact.
      Alcino Manuel Azevedo
      76 Mustang II Cobra II
      Featured in April 2006 Popular Hot Rodding

Wow this thread has really fallen behind!!!

It has been a very busy 3 months since the last up date. I'll try to bring this up to date with some cliff notes level of detail.

April 2nd was the next event.It was the SCCA National Match tour. It fell on the same day as the local good guys event, and I think a hotchkis event. Their was only 3 cam-t cars entered. Me! and two new fox mustangs. I was on brand new re-71s. It was an easy win for me
      Name:  4-2-16.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  59.3 KB

Next event was an Championship event on April 17.
      It was a really good turn out with 15 drivers!!! Alcino really dished it out to us with a 1.7 second lead over second place!!!

Name:  4-17-16.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  156.0 KB

The next event We went to was the SCCA California CAM Challenge. This happened over the weekend of 4/29-5/1. This was a great event. For me personally, it gave me a ton of driving experience and by my last run on Sunday I really had a good feel for the RE-71s, the car and the track. I really cut my time down in the match challenge and was very happy with the whole weekend.
      Alcino was the fastest San Diego racer in CAM-T and took 5th out of 25 entrants!!!

Heres a link to the results
      http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1462135938

Just another 2 weeks later, 5/15, we had another Champ event. Chad came down from L.A. and took the win but it was close competition.

Name:  5-15-16.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  116.2 KB

Heres how the years points battle is shaping up as of the 5/15 event

Name:  points battle 5-15-16.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  56.4 KB

The next champ event happened on 6/5. A smaller turn out for the year but great competition. Again Chad took the trophy back to L.A.

Name:  6-5-16.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  78.8 KB

We had our most recent event last weekend, 6/26. A good turn out again. Alcinco came back and took the win.

Name:  6-26-16.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  111.8 KB
      71 maverick.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

Thanks for updating the thread Bryant! Its been great to see consistently ~15 or more competitors running CAMT the last 3-4 events!
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

We had an event on July 10th. It as one of the best courses I've raced at Qualcom. Really a lot of fast elements. Chad pulled a double header. He ran at El Torro in the morning and then came down to The Q and arrived right as we were pulling into grid. He then proceeded to put the smack down on us locals once again.
      Name:  7-10-16.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  147.2 KB

Heres how the points battle is shaping up

CAM standings with your low 5 scores dropped... So many possibilities to move up or down still in 2016...
      1. Alcino 400
      2. Chad 399.5
      3. Ian 394.6
      4. Richard 393.5
      5. Tom 390.0
      6. Bry 389.9
      7. Kevin 388.5
      8. George 388.1
      9. Jeff L. 387.0
      10. Mike 377.5
      11 Charles 376.3

We have another Champ race this Sunday.
      71 maverick.

Well two more events have happend and Tom has obviously been spending his time on improving his Camaro and not on here updating this thread!!!!
      On August 7th, We had a champ event that had 17 drivers show up!!! Tom finally got his 3 gen camaro sorted out and really let the rest of us have it by putting 1.1 seconds on second place Alcino!!!!
      Name:  8-7-16.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  251.9 KB

Here is the Grillmaster Richard doing his thing.
      Name:  grillmaster.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  103.5 KB
      Alcino, the points leader
      Name:  parking 4.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  143.5 KB
      Name:  parking1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  127.5 KB
      Tom's Camaro
      Name:  parking2.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  170.9 KB
      Name:  parking3.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  143.6 KB
      Name:  parking5.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  155.9 KB
      Name:  parking6.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  153.9 KB
      Name:  parking7.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  166.4 KB
      71 maverick.

The second Champ event for August happened on the 28th.
      We had a smaller turn out. None of the L.A. guys came down this time to pick on us and a few locals didnt show for various reasons.
      We had 11 drivers this time. Its pretty cool that 11 drivers is a small turn out for us!!!
      Alcino came ready to take the first place position and not let Tom get his Camaro on top again! He did it by just 0.172!!!

Name:  8-28-16.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  124.4 KB
      Name:  828bry.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  121.4 KB
      Name:  828charles.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  85.7 KB
      Name:  828ian.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  92.8 KB
      Name:  828mike.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  95.5 KB
      Name:  828mopar.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  104.9 KB
      Name:  828richard.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  111.4 KB
      Name:  828tom.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  90.9 KB

We have a great time at every event. Every body is helping every one else with advice and a hand if needed. We always have great grilled food for lunch and the bench racing before and after the racing is always really good. I would recommend the way to grow your local cam group is to do the grill. Tell your friends to come down and for them to tell their friends to come down.
      71 maverick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com