Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: nitrous

Country Flag: United States

nitrous question

Hey guys, have a question on nitrous, I was thinking of installing it just to have some fun on the weekends.. Wanted to get some feed back on reliability to the motor,size of the shot, wet/dry, etc ... Anything can help .. set up ...chevy 454, 850cfm, Edelbroch racing alum heads, roller rockers , lifters.... Thanks

nitrous

I'm sure there are many others with more experience than me who can chime in on this, but me personally, I'd be pretty conservative. Make sure you've got everything well sorted out before you put the spray to it. Although most people say a 100 shot or less is safe, that's not really true; I cracked two pistons running a 100 shot on a 350 SBC. Among other things, watch your fuel pressure: if it runs lean, you'll have trouble. I later added a low-pressure warning light and a separate low-pressure kill switch, but that was after I'd already hurt the engine.

nitrous

Thanks for the reply

whats the rotating assembly consist of, head bolts or studs, what type of fuel system, what type of nitrous system do you want to use, plate or fogger, whats the compression ratio?

Do you have forged or hypereutectic pistons? What are the cam specs? What kind of fuel pump and fuel line size? What ignition system?

Check out the Innovate Nitrous gauge if running a carburetor and nitrous. It'll deactivate the nitrous solenoid if you're running outside of the set Air/Fuel ratio, RPM and bottle pressure. I'm sure there's other routes to making safety switches but this seems like a simple solution and worthy investment.

http://innovatemotorsports.com/products/psn1.php

nitrous

My bought the motor done so don't know all the internals,

Quote Originally Posted by Eb67 View Post
      My bought the motor done so don't know all the internals,
      Tough to answer the question then. Just about any motor and fuel system will handle 75-100hp. Don't try to be cheap about it. Supply fuel to it correctly, regulate that fuel correctly, change timing correctly, and have fun! Its like crack. Nitrous doesnt kill motors, owners do.

without knowing about the internals its hard to say whats safe, i wouldn't go over 75-100 shot with cast pistons and/or stock rods and bolts, you can get a controller to fade in the shot so its not as harsh on the internals but you're getting into a good amount of money for little gain. i'd also knock out 2 to 4 degrees of timming to be safe and make sure your fuel system is up to par, you need 5-6 psi flowing through the fuel solenoid. you don't get to many chances to fix problems with nitrous especially if your parts aren't up to the task. the real question is do you want to risk your motor over 75-100 hp, personally i wouldn't.

If you're on Facebook, the Nitrous Tech page has some good advice. Steve Johnson from Induction Solutions runs it. His business supplies some of the top racers in the country with nitrous systems. While you don't see it talked about much on Pro Touring, you can find Induction Solutions is a sponsor on the Yellowbullet racing forum. They're also on the t shirts for the street outlaws show if you watch that at all.
      http://inductionsolutions.com/

With a carburetor, I wouldn't think about running a dry system. There's no way for a carburetor to compensate fueling.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com