Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Removing dents in header tubes?

I'm curious if anyone has any tricks for removing dents in header primary tubes. I have had a couple of ground interference issues and I need to try and correct my screw ups. I thought about using some sort of bar or punch driven into the tube through the collector to round the tube back out. I was also thinking that one of those weld on body panel puller tools might also work. I will likely be cutting the collector off and shortening the primary tubes to gain ground clearance, so maybe that would be the time to repair or just replace that section of primary tube. Just wonder if anyone had any ideas.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Back a few years I saw where solid SS balls were used to remove dents in TPI tubes - don't know if they tried to ram them all the way through or not - I would be concerned about them getting stuck in there.
      -Bob (66 Nova)

Hmmm, the ball might work if the diameter is carefully selected for the tube.

I just watched a video on Youtube where a guy took a motorcycle head pipe with the same kind of dent I have. He plugged one end with a rubber stopper and filled the tube with water making sure to get all the air out. Then he plugged the other end and sealed the water inside. He then put the pipe in the freezer overnight and the dent was 90% gone by morning.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Here is what I do: at the collector install a blank flange w/ a 1/4 female NPT pipe thread, at the head surface w/ gasket installed bolt to a solid plate or surface so all tubes are blocked off. Now install and air line fitting to the NPT tapped hole at the collector, install a small valve to allow air to be introduced and held within the header. Take a torch and heat up the dent area red hot, slowly add air to the header and the air inside will push the dent right out. Tim john---

Country Flag: Canada
      DON'T PUT IT IN THE FREEZER.... good idea but you have NO guarantee that it will push out in the correct spot that you want it to, the best is to probably do what the other poster suggested. Low air pressure and heat the area up. Hopefully this will help push it back out, as the steel is heated it will obviously be soft then any surrounding steel. The air pressure will find the softest spot and should push it back
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Steve,

I would use a dent puller like the ones that spot weld a stud to the surface, then heat the area and use a slide hammer to pull the dent. Just like dent's are pulled from a hard to get to body panel.

That way there's not a chance of getting anything lodged in the header tubes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=body+tools

Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

X2 on the dent puller/stud. But other than looks there is a new video of a motor dynoed where they pounded on all 8 tubes ALOT and no loss of power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Or just do nothing, you won't believe this.

https://youtu.be/azPKIjxmmdU
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      Or just do nothing, you won't believe this.

https://youtu.be/azPKIjxmmdU
      That video was an eye opener! Great Info. I guess I will just leave it. Maybe spray some aluminum paint on it for rust protection.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Those stainless balls that fit inside tubes are for repairing brass instruments. Being SS lets you use rose bud tip on torch and open them up but there are several video province unless they are simply bashed flat the dents most worry about, fail to cost power unless tubes were too small in first place for tune of engine.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Those stainless balls that fit inside tubes are for repairing brass instruments. Being SS lets you use rose bud tip on torch and open them up but there are several video province unless they are simply bashed flat the dents most worry about, fail to cost power unless tubes were too small in first place for tune of engine.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com