Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

New Seats, What Do You Think?

I've been trying to come up with seats that I could put into my '68 Camaro, and afford. Finally come up with these. After cutting the attaching brackets off, I came up with these "Z" shaped brackets. The silver metal that the "Z" brackets are bolted to is the jig I made to make sure the bolt holes aligned with the factory bolt holes in the Camaro. Simple to do and after welding the "Z" brackets to the existing slider, I've already got one mounted without any alignment problems. The driver's side is power and everything works! It has forward, backward, up/down, and recline position. This seat also has a power lumbar. Right now the drivers side is at the upholsterer getting the side resewn where the airbag went off.
      Take a look and let me know what you guys and gals think.
      Here's a couple of pics, more to come when I'm finished.

I also have the seat belts and retractors from the donor car that are locked up. Trying to find out how to unlock these so I can use them too. (or send them to someone who can do this for me) Anyone have any ideas I'm all ears!

Thanks,
      Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

i like it. Hows the height?

Country Flag: Canada
      Carl
      I did some homework with my 2006 GTO seats and seat belts I had issues with them being locked up. After hitting the web I was told the easiest way is to slowly pull the belt out of the retractor .....but you have to be holding it the same way it sat in the donor car. Once i did this the same way they were in the GTO they slid out just like they should , Hope this helps
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

What are they out of?
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

Iceman,
      The height from the top of the headrest to the headliner is a little over 4". I'm 5'7", so I've got plenty of head room.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Ryan,
      I'm going to try that in the morning. Your saying to hold the assembly and then slowly pull the belt out? It sure doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, but I'm certainly up for trying.

Carl Wilson

cmcc,
      I almost hate to say what they're out of, I know a lot of people are going to give me a fit, but they're out of a 2014 Mustang GT. They are leather, and were affordable. I know it's Ford parts in a Chevrolet, but, there are a lot of guys that use a Ford 9" rear end so I guess I'm good.

My wife has a '06 Mustang GT, and I measured her seats when I saw these. I also bought the rear seats out of the 2014 and found that the new seats are about 4" narrower on each side than the original '68 seats. The Mustang has a plastic filler on each side to fill this gap, or they would've fit perfectly. I talked to the upholsterer and he can take my original rear seats and redo them to look like the fronts in leather for around $1000.

Carl Wilson

Doesn't matter what they came out of, they look good and you did a great job mounting them. I have a friend with a Mustang qnd they are comfortable seats. Is the drivers side power??

it worked with the gto seat belt retractors ....hold the exact same way they sit in the mustang should come out for you

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
      Doesn't matter what they came out of, they look good and you did a great job mounting them. I have a friend with a Mustang qnd they are comfortable seats. Is the drivers side power??
      Yes, the drivers side is power up/down, forward/backward, and recline. Power Lumbar also, and it all works!
      Thanks for the compliment..

Carl Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      it worked with the gto seat belt retractors ....hold the exact same way they sit in the mustang should come out for you
      Ryan,
      I've tried with all my might, I can't get it to budge! Even tried holding at different angles and positions. It feels like something inside is coming up against something solid. I may try to take it apart, just don't want to without knowing it may swarm on me.

Carl Wilson

Do you have a diagram of how they bolt in the car. Or are you guessing. Reason I ask is that I thought I knew how the rear retractors bolted in bolted in which I did but then I had to tilt them to the correct angle. I thought. I'd never get them out but with some patience I got it. Again this was on a GM car

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I don't have a diagram, might run back by the salvage yard in the morning and see if I can tell how they were mounted though. Thanks for the help.

Carl Wilson

Np...let us know how you make out

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Look great!
      Dante'

I like em, look great....

Thanks guys for the support. Ryan, I got it to work! The belt pulls out and retracts like it should. I'm not sure how to mount the part of the system that I believe bolts to the side pillar since my Camaro doesn't have this. Thought maybe I could bolt it to the top where the original shoulder harness bolted.

Carl Wilson

I got to looking at my drivers side seat belt and it has (I'm guessing) the ball bearings rolling around in it. The drivers side seat air bag deployed, so I'm guessing that's what set it off. does anyone know how to take this thing apart?

On another note, Does anyone have an idea on how, or where to mount the part of the seatbelt that usually mounts to the side pillar? Since the '68 doesn't have a side pillar I'm kinda stuck with where to mount this part. I thought maybe even in the roof brace, but if both side windows were rolled down, it would flop in the wind.

Carl

Carl Wilson

When I had a 68 Camaro, I installed a set of 3 point seat belts. There is a spot at the edge of the roof where there is a support welded in where the original shoulder belt mounted (the one that hung up on the roof).

This might help.
      http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45446

This is the only picture I can find that somewhat shows you where the belt mounts. It's further back than you think it would be.
      Dan
      Chapel Hill, NC
      ***PM me if you're close by and can help with my 65 Mustang Fastback project***

Quote Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
      When I had a 68 Camaro, I installed a set of 3 point seat belts. There is a spot at the edge of the roof where there is a support welded in where the original shoulder belt mounted (the one that hung up on the roof).

This might help.
      http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45446

This is the only picture I can find that somewhat shows you where the belt mounts. It's further back than you think it would be.
      I'm leaning toward the original setup, not sure yet though. I just don't like the belts hanging down and being able to see them through the window, especially if they're down. The original's were still 3 point, but you had the option of using the shoulder belt if you wanted to. It even stored along the roof line out of sight from the outside.

Decisions, decisions....

Carl Wilson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com