Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Germany
      Thanks again

Did you have problems with the front bearings? A D150s front bearings are about the same size as a C10, i think we should get about the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrunch View Post
      Thanks again

Did you have problems with the front bearings? A D150s front bearings are about the same size as a C10, i think we should get about the same results.
      Yes, I've fried my front bearings. They are a yearly throw-away item for me now, and I use a special high-temp wheel bearing grease.

To make a long story short, in my early days of researching frame parts, I did not trust the idea of pushing on a "performance suspension" made of Mustang II parts under a 4000lb truck. I even had questions about C5 and C6 stuff. But could I find answers, no. Would manufacturers tell me, no. So I searched for bearing loads, bearing specs, etc, etc, and Ron Sutton turned up late one night.

Below is some information on the subject of bearing loads. Read post #105. I'd reco reading this thread in totality.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...78#post1121878

Read this too, if you have not. Bearing loads are covered again in here.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ing-Track-Cars

Found a nice little video that shows a D250 (exactly the same suspension) on a handling course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CumN...=youtu.be&t=85

It shows the downfalls of this trucks short arm/long arm front suspension: positive camber in corners on the outer wheel.

Took a few measurements on a stock spindle today:

6° of steering axis inclination. I also found out that i can easily modify that angle to up to 9° with a little machine work on the steering arm.
      This thing is so beefy, it won't notice 0.1" missing.

Country Flag: United States
      You can put big Ford housing ends on your Dana 60 and reap all the benefits of them and the 60 in one.
      Emil Bunger

Do the big ford housings accept a tapered roller bearing?

Answering my own question: Yes they do. The outer bearing diameter of a snapring bearing and the tapered "Set20" is about the same (give or take a hair).

Summing up rear brakes and axle

- Ford 9" (actually a 9 3/4") from 77-79 Lincoln Mark V / Continental
      - big bearing (tapered)
      - 11.5" disc stock, 2.5" single piston sliding caliper with parking brake
      - 5x5 bolt pattern

What i want/need to change

- custom Moser axle for 5x4.5" bolt pattern, big bearing shank and 0.2" shorter for
      - 02 Ford Explorer front 12" rotors
      They have the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, are .5" larger and with almost 20lbs heavier than the Lincoln rotors
      The hat is 0.2 lower hence the shorter axle shaft. I like to be able to buy my spare parts everywhere though.
      - 3.55 or 4.10 gears (5500 or 5800 engine rpm @ 170mph in 2nd OD 0.69:1)
      Last edited by kingcrunch; 01-18-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: formatting

This is my exact rear end built except in a 12 bolt chevy.

Glad you found out about the dreaded "green" Dana ball bearings. I ordered my S-60 from Strange and asked for what I got, Dana ends and Wilwood kit to match.

Now, one of my next upgrades will be big Ford ends (new style) and what is essentially the same Wilwood kit but for the Ford ends. I am trying to figure out if I can just get new Wilwood backing plates and retainers and use my rotors and calipers.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Quote Originally Posted by go-fish View Post
      Now, one of my next upgrades will be big Ford ends (new style) and what is essentially the same Wilwood kit but for the Ford ends. I am trying to figure out if I can just get new Wilwood backing plates and retainers and use my rotors and calipers.
      I tried to do the same with mine, the price of a spare set of rotors and the backing plates cost more than just buying the entire kit again.
      Last edited by bovey; 01-18-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: missed a comma

I am buying Wilwood parts individually from Summit. If you have a Dana Wilwood kit and are switching to Big Ford ends you only need two part #'s.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

The Wilwood stuff does not cut it for me anymore.
      Their support did not come back to me on my question on which kit i could actually use the dust-booted caliper and it requires the use of the ball bearing with their kits. Two strikes against.

I do not want that again, i have had that experience with F.A.S.T. and their EZ-EFI V1 (coughcrapcough). I will try and cobble together stock components as best as i can and make that stuff work.
      We will see where that will take me.

I am thinking about hydroboost. It has been available for the Diesel engines (78/79 and then after 89 again), so it should for the one hand mount right up and on the other be somewhat street legal.
      Anybody have experience with that?

Late model Mustangs use hydroboost and some models of Astro vans do
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

For your rear end situation why don't you get a Chrysler 8.75. It has tapered bearing and has plenty more gear choices. It may be worth looking into a front end for a D-250 if their front bearings were bigger. Hydroboost also came on 89+ D250 with a Cummins.
      Johnny C.

The 8.75 will most likely grenade when i hit it with 650hp... and i can not find brakes (caliper pistons usually too small) large enough for my truck on the stock applications that had a 8.75.

The D250 has bigger bearings but also a larger rotor, with a larger hub diameter (can not machine that down) and a 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern.
      I would either have to get front hubs made (expensive) and find a suitable rotor (might work) or find something that fits the bearings (unlikely).
      Next i would have to find wheels with a center hole larger than the bearing... most wheels have a 2.814" (71.5mm) center hole.
      The D250s outer bearing has a 2.441" OD which would make for a very thin wall on a hub...

I am thinking about getting the Hydroboost of a late 90s Ram, including the master cylinder (i will stick with the stock piston diameter of 1.125").

Ladies and gentlemen,

i think we have a promising contender for the D170 project.

EDIT:
      Nope. It was not meant to be.

Ah, just before this thread ventures into the darkness beyond the 1st page.

I just bought a truck. I overpaid but shortbeds, be it Chevy or Dodge, are kind of "rare" expensive animals.
      Well, this is it.

Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 1086
Size:  187.6 KB

This is a 1985 D100, slant six, four speed A833, no A/C, no power steering. The bench seat and pristine grille will be moved onto my 85 W250.
      After that it will go into storage until my W250 is done and tagged.

That looks like one that was for sale on Moparts.
      Johnny C.

I failed to see that on Moparts... i bought it on Ebay.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com