Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Ceramic Coating

Country Flag: Australia

Ceramic Coating

Hi. I am thinking about having the same ceramic coating ( polished chrome like in appearance ) that is being applied to my headers also applied to my cast aluminium valve covers and aluminium air cleaner, nothing at all to do with thermal qualities, I am looking for a low maintenance alternative to polishing that will match up with my billet engine accessories. Anyone have any experiences or problems with that sort of thing? Cheers.

Trevor,
      I do the same thing on my intakes just for the reason you mentioned. I recently did a set of cast aluminum SBC Bowtie valve covers and was disappointed in the finish on them (maybe the coater didn't leave them in the polisher long enough not sure). I found that while most intakes are relatively smooth and look good with the coatings, but if the castings have a highly porous finish or have raised letter such as "Chevrolet" with a bowtie it tends to be a little darker and the polishing beads can't get into the little crevices and corners well which doesn't look as good. So the key point is the coating look better on smoother surfaces and still provide the protection and ease of maintenance we all need. Just for what it's worth you still have the option of powder coating in clear for the protect from oxidization on aluminum. Hope this helps.

Cheers
      BB

Thanks BB

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
      Trevor,
      I do the same thing on my intakes just for the reason you mentioned. I recently did a set of cast aluminum SBC Bowtie valve covers and was disappointed in the finish on them (maybe the coater didn't leave them in the polisher long enough not sure). I found that while most intakes are relatively smooth and look good with the coatings, but if the castings have a highly porous finish or have raised letter such as "Chevrolet" with a bowtie it tends to be a little darker and the polishing beads can't get into the little crevices and corners well which doesn't look as good. So the key point is the coating look better on smoother surfaces and still provide the protection and ease of maintenance we all need. Just for what it's worth you still have the option of powder coating in clear for the protect from oxidization on aluminum. Hope this helps.

Cheers
      BB
      Thanks for that, I did enquire about powder coating at the same place, I have valve covers with the raised lettering also and I understand exactly what you mean. I will give it some more thought I think. Thanks Again.

I'll try to get a picture of mine today or tomorrow
      BB

Thanks BB

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
      I'll try to get a picture of mine today or tomorrow
      BB
      Thank's. I would appreciate that. I will take the photo's to the coaters and see if they have a solution. I will let you know how that pans out. Cheers Trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor572 View Post
      Thank's. I would appreciate that. I will take the photo's to the coaters and see if they have a solution. I will let you know how that pans out. Cheers Trevor.
      Sorry it took so long Trevor, glad the holidays are over
      Here is the valve cover ceramic coated. As you can see the slight variation from the intake to the valve cover and the intake is coated by the same company. Hope this help you make a decision on yours.Attachment 121708

Cheers
      BB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com