Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Big Red Camaro - Build Book Project! Rebuilding the Original Outlaw!

Hello All,

Big Red was built in 1987-88. She has been raced on and off since then. There's been a lot of wear and tear over the years that has been repaired, but the team has never had her apart for a major rebuild. Well, it's that time!

We've enlisted the services of Tony Huntimer (author of the premier Pro-Touring book and many years as a columnist for Camaro Performers magazine) to write a Build Book to cover the Big Red Rebuild process. It's going to be published by Scott and BJ Killeen's Build Book company. This is going to be a major undertaking by everyone involved.

We have posted a few pictures on our Facebook page to kick off the build, but it makes sense to also create a Build Thread here on Pro-Touring.com. Obviously we can't release the entire project online, but we will be posting periodic outtake photos of the build. This way you will get a your fill of Big Red while the car is being rebuilt.

Here's a start! Notice how much of the original Camaro floorboards are still in Big Red. Bill Osborne built the chassis into the body. It isn't a NASCAR frame with a Camaro body welded onto it.

Hope you enjoy the ride!
      BigRedCamaro.com
      The Original Outlaw Racer
      The Fastest '69 Camaro On Earth - Current Top Speed 251.8 MPH
      The single most "followed" and "liked" Camaro on the Internet (FB and Instagram)

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild.

First I gotta say that this is the car I drooled over in high school. Big Red was THE car to me. Followed it ever since the Hot Rod feature. Looking forward to seeing more details about it. I bought one years ago and plan to make my version of it in the near future.
      Thanks for sharing.
      Mike
      15 Camaro 2SS 1LE summer ride

00 Yukon work ride - parts hauler

69 Camaro LS Turbo - project car

Looking fwd to it

Subscribed!! I can't wait for the book on Big Red! !
      Ahmad B.

This is the car that made me want to build a pro-touring project. Thanks for posting up some of the build.
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Wow, I already learned something new... I didn't realize it retained so much of the original floor! And can't wait, I'll be a buyer for this book!
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I'm very much looking forward to writing the Big Red Build Book. If back in 1988 when I first fell in love with Big Red...somebody told me that I'd be working on and around Big Red, I'd laugh in their face! HA!

This is going to be EPIC! This is the kind of project that I've been working towards for a long time. I also love the Build Books. If you have not seen any of them, you should go to BuildBookUSA.com and buy one or all 6. There are some amazing builds covered from concept to finished product and done by some amazingly talented builders and shops. From Rad Rides, to Boyd Coddington, to the Ring Brothers. WOW! Some great information to harvest ideas for your own build.

Keep checking back here for future updates. Or check the Big Red Social Media accounts on Instagram @thebigredcamaro (or their Facebook page). Some information and photos may not be the same in all the outlets. Even my own Instagram feed will get some Big Red info too @testcardatabase, they do happen to be a client of mine. ;)

Regards,
      Tony Huntimer
      TestCarDatabase.com
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Here's the latest photo we can share of the Big Red rebuild/BuildBook project.

We've historically been using steel fenders and all panels, with the exception of the hood being fiberglass. What do you all think about us using carbon fiber body panels? We've always liked the ability to tell people that it's all steel. During the rebuild, it seems like a good time to lighten her up a little bit. No matter what we do, all the panels are going to be painted red.
      BigRedCamaro.com
      The single most "followed" and "liked" Camaro on the Internet (FB and Instagram)

Love the car and the history, One vote for steel!
      Pat

Country Flag: Canada
      steel

I think leave it steel but on the other hand it's not a "street car" either so carbon fiber would be cool . Plus your revamping it so a little change isn't bad.
      Ahmad B.

With all of the accomplishments you have achieved with this car I think you have plenty of other bragging rights other than "It's steel". If the car is built to perform and carbon helps.....it's a no brainer.

This car is amazing, one of my favorite "hot rods".
      Subscribed.
      You can't take enough pictures as far as I'm concerned.

Technology is great!! The precedence was set when Big Red started running supercharged engines. Keep the classic looks, embrace technology and carbon fiber, Big Red should make a statement to the competition just like it did when it rolled out of the trailer in 1989...It should keep the Title another 30 years!

I vote for carbon fiber in bolt on parts. That way it can go on a diet and go a little faster.

Time to shoot for 275 in the 1.5 mile!
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      I vote for steel.

But more important, i think, is that you establish a vision for the new configuration and focus on it. please don't make this a design decisions made by comittee build. Pick a vision, focus on it, and build to that vision. I think that's what made Red so remarkable in the first place.
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      I vote for steel.

But more important, i think, is that you establish a vision for the new configuration and focus on it. please don't make this a design decisions made by comittee build. Pick a vision, focus on it, and build to that vision. I think that's what made Red so remarkable in the first place.
      Twentyover,

Don't worry. The question was posed only to get a feel of how people feel about carbon fiber. The decision was already made. We already have a few Anvil carbon fiber parts in our possession. ;)

We're going on a small diet. Not a lot. Big Red will still be steel fenderred. We don't want to turn into a Pro Mod car that doesn't look like a Camaro. We want to keep the classic body lines. That's a must.

Thanks everyone for your input and support!
      BigRedCamaro.com

Happy New Year! 2015 was big for Team Big Red. Our TV series on NBCSN (there are 3 episodes that can be seen "OnDemand" if you're an Xfinity customer...other providers may also have it available) and our new speed record of 251.8 mph. It's the fastest that Big Red has ever gone!

Now for 2016, we have a lot on our plate. The first order of business is to rebuild Big Red for her running of Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in June. During the coming months we have the Build Book to write and more footage to record for a second season or maybe for use on DVD or some other outlet other than traditional TV. The future is wide open.

Here's a funny photo of a sticker we found in Big Red when we were tearing her down.

Here's to a big new adventure named 2016!
      BigRedCamaro.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com