Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
      Country Flag: United States
      Is the cup holder center console a custom piece or an off the shelf item? Car turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by bread_and_water View Post
      Is the cup holder center console a custom piece or an off the shelf item? Car turned out great.
      It's from TMI as is the rest of the interior. It's their custom console.

I got the trunk kit and did a dry fit. Pretty happy with the kit and it should be really nice when it's all finished. It reduces the usable size of the trunk of course but who cares on a car like this. I'll be able to hide my jack and whatever else behind the panels to keep it clean looking. I'm working on finalizing the decorative insert design and hoping to get the parts machined before the weekend.

Name:  IMG_4438.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  203.5 KB

I also got tired of how weak the trunk torsion springs were (yes I have the thicker spoiler version in it). After the lid falling down on the back of my head for the last time, I decided to do something different. I saw they make nicer machined hinges with gas struts but at a hefty price and hassle to swap them out. Plus I didn't want to risk scratching the paint removing and re-aligning the lid. I found a thread on just fitting in standard struts so I decided to try it. I used the same size as he did but went with 40lb instead of 60 and left the torsion springs in. That allows for adjustability in the force to dial it in smooth, because the 40lb struts aren't quite strong enough by themselves. Works pretty well.

This is the thread I found for the strut fit: http://www.camaros.net/forums/12-bod...trunk-lid.html

And here's a video of how smooth it is now.

IMG_4435.wmv

I got the trunk kit finished. Came out pretty good and adds a nice touch to the overall finish I think.

Machining the aluminum inserts:

Name:  IMG_4442.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  208.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4448.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  241.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4452.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  221.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4453.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  233.7 KB

Upholstering

Name:  IMG_4461.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4462.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4463.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4474.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  194.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4471.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  217.5 KB

Finished

Name:  IMG_4489.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  173.7 KB

Very neat! It's definitely one of the little things that will help set this build apart!

It's been several months since I posted anything on this. Everything has been pretty good with the car and I had a full summer of local shows and day drives.

I did have an irritating transmission leak due to a faulty boot seal in the stock Tremec shifter (twice actually). They had/have a bad design or a manufacturing issue that causes the boot to tear and leak fluid from the top of the shifter. My replacement seal tore after only 300 miles which was really irritating because it's not easy to change. I barely got it done without pulling the trans but luckily was able to (with plenty of bloody knuckles of course). The leaked fluid ruined my exhaust coating too so I had to strip and refinish it. Tremec told me it was fixed and sent me a third seal, but after the two failures in less than 1500 miles I wasn't willing to trust them. So I now have a White Lightning shifter from AP and it's been leak free. The improvement in shift feel and throw is a nice bonus too.

First torn seal
      Name:  IMG_4661x.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  130.9 KB

Second one - 300 miles later
      Name:  IMG_4810.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  174.1 KB

I recently started making some cosmetic changes to the engine compartment just for fun. I started to not like the shiny thin coil covers I bought, and the red optima battery cover didn't go with anything. I made some more subtle cosmetic brackets for the coils and cleaned up the bad mold lines and big hole in the battery cover with a machined bowtie emblem. After that I realized that the fuel rails and visible wiring harness needed some attention, so I designed and machined some covers from the same brushed aluminum as the coils. I think I'm pretty happy with the results.

Name:  IMG_4837.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4835.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  191.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4836.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  214.4 KB

Brad, your Camaro is looking great. I love how clean and tidy it all looks. Great job.

Sam
      Northern UT.
      '68 Camaro "Bodacious"
      '56 210 2dr "Buckshot"

I agree, very nice and clean. Well done. The time and patience you’re taking is paying off!

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!

Wow, Sweet!!!

I love the car, beautiful job on the trunk kit!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Thank you!

Man, you blink and two and a half years has gone by! I decided to post some updates to this old build thread just for the hell of it. I still have the car and have had a lot of fun with it the past few years. A little less since the pandemic screwed up the world (and the car events) but all the more reason to get out for nice drives as often as I can. I've been refining cosmetic stuff mostly. I swapped the cam out to the GM Hot Cam which basically turns it into the 480 LS3 from the 430. In hindsight I should have just got the 480 or 525 from the start but I was hemorrhaging money so bad during the initial build that the price difference made the 430 seem like the way to go. I certainly didn't "need" the extra power but it is noticeable. The more lumpy idle is a nice benefit too.

I got new wheels today which is what made me decide to update the thread. I didn't hate the Foose wheels but I wanted more of a classic look with a slight modern spin. The original wheels just didn't give it that. The new ones are American Racing VN327 rally wheels and are exactly what I think it needed. Only took them about 5 weeks from when I ordered which is really good for made to order with things the way they are right now.

I also had the paint ceramic coated a few months ago. What a difference! No more light swirl marks and the paint is a mile deep now. The shop that did it spent 4 days polishing it and then applied this cool self-healing ceramic coat. If it does get a light scuff it heals itself with heat - heat gun or just parked in the sun.

Name:  IMG_1473 (1).jpg
Views: 342
Size:  289.4 KB

In the engine bay, I've toned things down a bit by getting rid of the all chrome brake master/booster, powder coated the intake tube black, black powder coated the valve covers, did a brushed metal wrap material on the fuel rail covers I made and added a second piece to them for accent. Also painted the intake manifold. Few other things here and there but mainly just toned down the overly shiny stuff.

Name:  IMG_1369.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  269.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1385.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  356.2 KB

It looks great, But then it already did. I like it!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Car looks great! I really like those wheels.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Thanks!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com