Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

My version of Pro-touring! aka my Laguna Seca Turkey Blast track day report!

My 68 Camaro really lived up to the Pro-touring dream this last week. I planned to be in the bay area for Thanksgiving already when I originally saw a post about a 105db sound day at Laguna Seca the Friday after Thanksgiving. A quick look up on google maps showed that Laguna Seca was just over 80 miles from my Grandma's house so it became game on with the plan to drive my Camaro about 350 miles each way from Southern California to Northern California! I signed up comforted that I could cancel my attendance right up to the 20th and still get a full refund as I was worried about getting rained out. I will put my car though a lot of different abuse and risk but having been on track during the rain its above my own comfort level.

Using my Grandma's house as a base of operations I put 1,039 miles on the Camaro between Wednesday night and Sunday while knocking down about 18mpg. Wednesday night was a midnight run up the state, while Sunday was lots of stop and go driving. Through all of this and getting flogged pretty hard on the track the only tool I pulled out on the trip was a tire pressure gauge. Winning!

Some of my favorite pics from the event.

Lots of good pictures of the variety of cars on the Shelby Club's facebook page here too: https://www.facebook.com/NorCalSAAC/...12315592203978 including an original GT350 used at the Shelby School back in the day.

This is the second Shelby Club event I've attended and its the only track day events I've been to outside of the RTTC and optima events that draw a large attendance of classic muscle. Lots and lots of mustangs (old and new), cobras and even a Daytona coupe!

It was a super cold day (morning temps in the low 30's) and I was initially really worried about tire temps but after my first session I got comfortable with the level of grip available. I think street tires like the Falkens were a little less susceptible to the super cold temps than all the race oriented slicks I saw in the paddock.

The Shelby club has a strict no lap time policy so I didn't push myself as hard as I might have if I knew every lap time but I still pushed pretty good and had a lot of fun. After coming home and reviewing the data and video I saw a number of places I left a lot of time on the table. As it was, without a roll bar I was limited to the intermediate group and was quite a bit faster than most of the folks in my run group.

Here is video of my shortest session (the longer ones are giving me editing trouble). Lots of passing, especially the second half of the video.

It was great meeting up with everyone from the forums and bench racing and getting some driving tips. Best "Black Friday" I've ever had!
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Country Flag: United States
      Sweet Chad!

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com