Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WOW!!!! Pro-Touring.com Has Turned Into An E Commerce Site????

The last 6 months it appears to me that every 3rd post on this site and other PT sites is for someone or some business wanting to "Pimp My Ride" with their "Trinkets and Trash"!

Is this what the Pro-Touring hobby has become?????
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Country Flag: United States

WOW!!!! Pro-Touring.com Has Turned Into An E Commerce Site????

Pretty typical around the holidays. I got about 35 emails from various websites I've purchased from, on Friday alone.

Do you have any suggestions on how to "fix" the problem?
      Your post sounds like something I'd see on Fox News, lol. ;)

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Confine all advertiser sales special posts to the "Advertiser Specials" section, that's how you "Fix" the problem!

We don't need to see two or three copies of the exact same ad posted in two or three different sections. Keep the ads contained in the Advertiser Specials section where they belong. I have a great deal of respect for our forum sponsors here on PT but I agree with Mike, it is getting a bit out of hand and not just around this time of year. I welcome and encourage sponsor participation in the discussions and I have no problem at all with sponsors sharing their product knowledge/information while being active members of the forum. But the bottom line is the sales ADs belong in the Advertiser Special section.

I have posted a comment to this effect in the forum feedback section for Larrry and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is annoyed by the multiple copies of ads posted in multiple sections.

Something that Larry might consider would be creating a new "PT Sponsor" category with a dedicated "Section" for each PT sponsor to post anything they choose be it sales ads, tech info, etc. I see individual sponsor sections on many forums and they serve to act, in effect, as mini-store fronts for the vendors. These Sponsor sections also act as store fronts for forum members where we can go to look at and ask questions about specific vendor parts or services without cluttering up the general forums.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      Pretty typical around the holidays. I got about 35 emails from various websites I've purchased from, on Friday alone.

Do you have any suggestions on how to "fix" the problem?
      Your post sounds like something I'd see on Fox News, lol. ;)

-Dale
      Dale,

It's NOT just the Holiday's anymore!

That's why I said the last 6 months.

I must congratulate YOU, Jeff and the gang AND a VERY FEW other vendors (you know who you are) as you guys ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE by posting responses in threads by HELPING forum members with insight, opinions and solutions to their problems & posts in the PT forums sections & not just post/advertise your "Special of the Day" that is ALL TO PREVALENT from other re-seller's on this and other PT forums!

It sure would be NICE if other vendors who POST in the THREADS section on the forum (Not the classifieds section) were so considerate and helpful by posting SOMETHING/ANYTHING beside their "Special of the MINUTE DEAL"!

Of course that's what happens when the opportunity for "PIMPING" your product is FREE!

Steve is RIGHT!!!!

Limit the "Pimp & Whore" Show to the Classifieds sections!
      Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

It usually happen when they see Big dollars being spent on the latest fads.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Confine all advertiser sales special posts to the "Advertiser Specials" section, that's how you "Fix" the problem!

We try to do this as much as possible. If anyone sees a vendor advertising anywhere except the "Advertiser Specials" forum, please shoot me a PM.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      Dale,

It's NOT just the Holiday's anymore!

That's why I said the last 6 months.

I must congratulate YOU, Jeff and the gang AND a VERY FEW other vendors (you know who you are) as you guys ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE by posting responses in threads by HELPING forum members with insight, opinions and solutions to their problems & posts in the PT forums sections & not just post/advertise your "Special of the Day" that is ALL TO PREVALENT from other re-seller's on this and other PT forums!

It sure would be NICE if other vendors who POST in the THREADS section on the forum (Not the classifieds section) were so considerate and helpful by posting SOMETHING/ANYTHING beside their "Special of the MINUTE DEAL"!

Of course that's what happens when the opportunity for "PIMPING" your product is FREE!

Steve is RIGHT!!!!

Limit the "Pimp & Whore" Show to the Classifieds sections!
      Got it, I must have missed the 6 month thing.

I have also noticed the repetitiveness, and saw Steve's post the other day regarding it.

Assuming I'm not the only one that clicks "Today's Posts", it can be a little much to go past 3-4 of the same post.

Thanks for the kind words though Mike!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      We try to do this as much as possible. If anyone sees a vendor advertising anywhere except the "Advertiser Specials" forum, please shoot me a PM.

Andrew
      I think if somehow the vendor posts of their various specials were somehow eliminated from the "Today's Posts" list it would make it much easier to scan through them and get caught up. Don't get me wrong, I value the vendors here and support them whenever I need something. That being said though (for the vendors) I would personally be more inclined to go to a vendor who participates in the forum and helps out other members with questions or problems than one that is always posting up their latest special. If I want to see what's on sale, I know where to go, I don't need it in the daily feed.
      Erik

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...without-a-name

Camaro LS2, T56, 12 bolt, C6 Z06 brakes, Rushforth Super Spokes, ATS Spindles
      2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS

Doesn't bother me. Pretty easy to ignore. They are just trying to make a living just like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Doesn't bother me. Pretty easy to ignore. They are just trying to make a living just like the rest of us.
      X2. They are providing the financial support the site needs.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Exactly, My builds are so far from the box I tend to lean to the Project Updates most of the time. I use the search function to answer most of my questions, or close to the answers I need.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Just a thought...but could the fact that there seems to be more advertiser type posts showing up really just mean that there are less and less regular type posts showing up?

Traffic on all of the message boards I frequent is trending down and I think it's a shame. The amount of knowledge I have gained over the years from the build threads here and elsewhere just can't be duplicated on the trendier newer social media outlets.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Or... maybe it's just the season?
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Just a thought...but could the fact that there seems to be more advertiser type posts showing up really just mean that there are less and less regular type posts showing up?

Traffic on all of the message boards I frequent is trending down and I think it's a shame. The amount of knowledge I have gained over the years from the build threads here and elsewhere just can't be duplicated on the trendier newer social media outlets.
      I agree. It's like 8-12 months ago the traffic took a huge dive here. I'm not sure if it's because of the niche Facebook pages popping up? The loss of popular hotrodding magazine? A loss in interest due to the newer cars that are basically pro touring vehicles from the dealership? I'm not sure.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Now there are some great points here

It would be nice If the sponsors did give feedback to owners cars. If they can talk about the car and build I would more likely buy from them based on their knowledge and interaction.

Post are down from users speaking time with their family during the holidays, time of the season to advertise is up, and winter time people aren't driving their cars and breaking things so it makes sense on why it looks like the forums are flooded. Atleast someone is posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
      I agree. It's like 8-12 months ago the traffic took a huge dive here. I'm not sure if it's because of the niche Facebook pages popping up?

Facebook has a LOT to do with it I believe.

The "social media" trend in IN and as with everything time will also correct that trend.

As stated earlier by Lance no way will half the technical information most of us are interested in will be posted to Facebook that is has been posted in the past and is now still posted on a internet forum.

Personally I do not care at all for Facebook. I have an account which I am sure has a bunch of messages posted that I have never checked as I get emails from Facebook all the time about UPDATES. Really could care less! IF a friend or relative wants to take the time to CALL ME and tell me what's going on in their life that's great and I am all in. To have to READ about the soapbox that is their life has absolutely NO INTEREST to me whatsoever.

To damn old to care!

Now back to the forums.
      Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

I am relatively new here, but I have been reading for a while. This site is an inspiration and most people here treat everyone respectfully, unlike many other forums. I don't belong to too many. I don't even know if I belong here, but I am learning, building and welding on my rig and doing it right, which appears to be the way many of you have.

My buddies in the car club just got back from Vegas last weekend where the "Worlds Fastest Streetcars" were running. Admittedly, most in the club fall into two categories - drag racers who trailer their rides to the race or show queens. But, they have been regular attendees for the races and told me the fields were way down. Another example, I know one guy at work who just spent almost $50K on his new truck and can't understand the why, or even working on your own. I am a poor comparison/example though, as my truck dropped a valve and while the engine builder will make it right, I am without - there is a little chiding there. He is cruising in his new truck. Heck a lot of denigrating there as the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs new vs old goes on ad infinitum. So, maybe new vehicles are impinging on the overall interest. My biggest concern is the trend of younger people just not caring about what they drive or even if they drive. There are only two guys in the club right now under 35! We are trying to bring in the "tuner" guys but I think there is too much in bad history between muscle vs. tuner. And while SEMA fights for congressional approval in our hobby, one has to be a genius to figure out what you can get away with for pollution controlled vehicles. In a club meeting the other day, the discussion went as far as one cannot build a decent car for under 100K! That ain't hot rodding to me. Of course the overall price includes the show winning paint job at 20K. Which means one can go out and buy a new Civic or Dart for less than a decent paint job. Well, no young people I know are going for that, it is no wonder the "rat rod" trend is growing, slowly it appears per show entrees, but growing never the less. I mean car show attendance is up and the entrees appear good with slight growth at least where I am, overall the shops which used to carry race parts and stuff are drying up. The internet does have something to do with that though.

I am just rambling, I really like this site, the projects are an inspiration and I am waiting for it to go above freezing so I can go work on my ride. The disaffected will always be around, but one of the things I like here is the lack of rules. Just build what you want. As long as it handles, brakes, is safe and can go better than stock - that is what matters. I am thinking my truck will get a paint job in the driveway of satin black and I would rather have the money in the motor and handling.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look around and see what the best way to deal with it is.

We are working on a new 100% from the ground up site. Maybe some sponsor sections will help.

It should be up an running in 6-8 weeks and has kept me pretty busy.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

I 2nd what Vintageracer said. I don't have a Facebook page either and I never will. A lot for my friends say I am missing out on a lot of good CAM discussion on Facebook and I should sign up and join in, no thanks. As for the posting of ads, I guess that is the nature of the beast of free enterprising, I can live with it. The discussion subjects/topics is what is important on this forum.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post
      We are working on a new 100% from the ground up site. Maybe some sponsor sections will help.

It should be up an running in 6-8 weeks and has kept me pretty busy.
      This is exciting news! Can't wait to see what's coming... Lary, I'm sending you a PM on vendor applications for PT.
      -Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com