Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Drivetrain Whine: Is it bad and where is it coming from?

After I did my suspension upgrades (including FAB9 rear end with 9" TrueTrac, 3.70 gears), I've been having a whine that develops above 45 mph or so. When I press the clutch in, the noise goes away (about 32s in the video). Here's a clip for reference:

https://youtu.be/2VE7LIwFfy8

The interior is out right now, but even with it in I still noticed the sound. I've never had transmission issues and it was just fine before it went into the shop. Thanks in advance.

Who set the gears up? Sounds like gear whine to me.

It was purchased as an entire unit from Strange Engineering and installed by a shop.

I went thru this a few years back with a brand new complete moser 12 bolt. Worst gear whine I had ever experienced. The setup was way off. They sent me new gears but I had to have them installed on my dime. Its hard to say for sure from a video. Maybe pull the center section and have the pattern checked for proper setup.

Well they're under warranty but I'd have to remove the unit and send it back to them (in Illinois). At that point, I almost wonder if it's worth it to pay a show to pull the unit and check the lash and pinion angle. Just frustrating.

Aftermarket gears, I'm guessing?

They whine. They all whine. If you want a quiet rear end, you need to use factory gears. From now on, I'm only using 8.8 Ford rears, because I can get new Ford gear sets that don't whine.

The whine is only a noise.. there's no harm in that. No accelerated wear or anything. Just a whine, and if doesn't make you insane, I'd leave it be.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...whine+parsonsj
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Yeah, they're aftermarket. I keep hearing different things though, the whine is normal, it isn't, etc. There doesn't seem to be a straight answer.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com