Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help Putting a Complete Audio system into 1969 Camaro

Currently there is no audio equipment in my 1969 camaro. I've heard good things about alpine so I was going to with them but I'm open to suggestions. The rear deck is set up for 2 6x9s, I was going to put coaxial in the kick panel up front.

alpine sells 6x9s and coaxial so I was going to keep the brands all the same to avoid any issues. Has anyone had a problem with alpine speakers. They came factory my dads truck and sound good to me. All speakers would be type r.

First, the coaxial speakers have tweeters on them so should I get the set with additional tweeters. There are some in the pillars on my truck and I'm not sure if they are necessary for proper sound. I'm definitely a Sound Quality guy.

Any issue with using alpine vs different brand head unit?

Finally, My biggest concern is properly setting up the subs. I was leaning on two 10in type Rs. I've been reading about 2 vs 4 ohms but I have not grasped it enough and a mistake can be big $'s. Anyone set up these subs here? My 05 Gto had two amps. Each type R sub has an RMS of 1000 so am I looking for one or two amps? Any wire kits for the other speakers for our cars? And what gauge wire?

I didn't want to put all my faith in the Best Buy sales associate so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1969 Camaro, sbc 350, tremec magnum close gears, 10 bolt rear, tidetech front and rear suspension with musclebar, solid body mount, steering box, classic auto air a/c system (info for fitment questions)

Mobile Audio

Good choices on speakers.. type R is a good set up. personally, I go with Focal.(Access line). for high end sound.
      although, I am unfamiliar with the Alpine. I really like their digital amps. Their speakers seem to have come up quite a bit through out the years.

Subwoofer.. i'd go with JL Audio. (10W6v3) for extreme power handling.. as I have personal experience with them.
      Kicker is another option.

Amplifier.. an amazing set up is the Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel.. 2 for fronts, 2 for rears, 1 for subs
      digital full range amplified power.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-...keywords=pdxv9

Either route you go, seems like your on the right track.
      make sure you run a heavy gauge wire #4 min. for any high powered amp. (get the power right off your starter supply line, to not crowd your battery connections.)

good luck.

Rather than get coxials up front and add tweeters, just get some Type-R components to begin with.

I have Alpine Type-S components and an Alpine amp, sounds nice.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I love Alpine amps, they have always performed better than advertised. I had the PDX-V9 in my last daily driver and was very happy, nice power and very compact. I had this paired Focal seperates front and rear, and a JL Audio sub.

I have the Alpine Type R's in my '67 Camaro (6.5" separates up front and 6x9 in the rear), and I'm not a big fan of them. The sound quality just isn't there. I've had better luck with Infinity's Kappa's and Focal's in that same price range. I got the Type R's on sale from Amazon and will probably replace them when I run out of other projects to spend my money on.

alpine makes a good speaker and sub. I am partial to harmon stuff like infinity and jbl but I had some alpines in my grand prix and liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by califconstruct View Post
      Good choices on speakers.. type R is a good set up. personally, I go with Focal.(Access line). for high end sound.
      although, I am unfamiliar with the Alpine. I really like their digital amps. Their speakers seem to have come up quite a bit through out the years.

Subwoofer.. i'd go with JL Audio. (10W6v3) for extreme power handling.. as I have personal experience with them.
      Kicker is another option.

Amplifier.. an amazing set up is the Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel.. 2 for fronts, 2 for rears, 1 for subs
      digital full range amplified power.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-...keywords=pdxv9

Either route you go, seems like your on the right track.
      make sure you run a heavy gauge wire #4 min. for any high powered amp. (get the power right off your starter supply line, to not crowd your battery connections.)

good luck.
      I knew alpine from my brothers car. His new setup is jl audio. I've been hearing good things from some people and others saying they are overpriced. I found a store that sells jl and I am going to listen to his setup tomorrow. I found a thread on here with a sub mounted on the rear deck and I like the idea but only one will fit up there in between the 6x9s so Im thinking on going to one either 10 or 12. I spoke with someone from Crutchfield to help set something up. They have great customer service but I don't think there prices are competitive. At least not on the stuff I was quoted on...

Quote Originally Posted by 67rally View Post
      I love Alpine amps, they have always performed better than advertised. I had the PDX-V9 in my last daily driver and was very happy, nice power and very compact. I had this paired Focal seperates front and rear, and a JL Audio sub.

I have the Alpine Type R's in my '67 Camaro (6.5" separates up front and 6x9 in the rear), and I'm not a big fan of them. The sound quality just isn't there. I've had better luck with Infinity's Kappa's and Focal's in that same price range. I got the Type R's on sale from Amazon and will probably replace them when I run out of other projects to spend my money on.

PC Richards actually had some type r's set up and I was not blown away. They were also running two type r 10 inch subs on one 500 watt amp which was very disappointing. I've heard the sub powered right and it sounded good but I'm looking for good sound quality.

I'm hoping the single jl setup I'm looking at tomorrow delivers the sound I'm looking for because a single is ideal for the rear deck.

I learned of focal yesterday when I saw there 1500 dollar sub lol. I heard they have good higher end stuff. I'm looking for speakers that are <250 a set. Not dealer list price but actual store price which I found to me much lower.

Any reviews on jl speakers. I thought it be best to keep the same brand for everything but I'm not sure if it matters.... Hopefully the setup I'm listening to tomorrow will have upgraded speakers as well.

1969 Camaro, sbc 350, tremec magnum close gears, 10 bolt rear, tidetech front and rear suspension with musclebar, solid body mount, steering box, classic auto air a/c system (info for fitment questions)

Do you have a picture of your front speakers in the car? Are they in the kick plates? And if so we're there any fitment issues

Quote Originally Posted by UdidntcAnything View Post
      Do you have a picture of your front speakers in the car? Are they in the kick plates? And if so we're there any fitment issues
      Here's a pic of my 6.5's installed in a set of the Screamin' Performance Kick panels. I wrapped the kicks in black vinyl. No fitment issues, and the e-brake pedal cleared fine. (these are old pics from when I originally installed them).

Alpine makes good head units that's about it. I'd never consider running their speakers under any circumstances. The only two speaker brands I'd consider are JL Audio and Hertz. Pioneer, Alpine, kicker, Rockford Fosgate would all loose horribly if given the Pepsi challenge. There's a reason Best Buy carries them. If you plan on flipping the car go ahead and install a low cost system. If you plan on keeping it save up and get the right components that you'll enjoy for years/decades to come.

For a head unit I'd go with either Kenwood or Pioneer. The Kenwood is my favorite as they exclusively offer Garmin navigation and are very tweekable. Pioneer and Alpine's head units aren't bad at all so it really comes down to which user interface you're most comfortable with.

For your kick panels is go with 5.25" or 6.5" components. JL audio or Hertz. For your 6x9's I'd also recommend JL or Hertz. For subs I'd go with the JL W3's as they're light and offer more than adequate base for a 1st gen f-body sized car. They're also significantly lighter than the W6's (overkill). You'd need a second amp to support them. With the W3's you can get a 5 channel amp to power everything. Less weight less power grab. Less clutter. As far as amps go JL runs circles around the alpine PDX. The only amps that top the JLs are the Audison line. They are a bit pricey though. If you want to go big the JL HD 900/5 ($800) also good is the JL XD 1000/5 ($650) or if you want to run less power hungry speakers the XD 700/5 ($475).
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

hows the sound when the car turned on can u hear those front kick panel speakers?

Agree with focal speakers. Their amps are amazing as well. 10 in sub is great. I have a kicker square sub and only need one. Great base but not boom.