ET July 8-9
      ET July 29-30
      ET August 19-20
      ET September 23-24
      AC October 21-22
      AC November 11-12
      AC December 2-3

Original Post:

I'm hoping to increase interest and participation in the SoCal CAM SCCA autocross events and share event reports all in this thread. Earlier in 2015 I attended my first SCCA autocross with the San Diego Region (SDR) and had a total blast. While I will be focusing on the LA/OC region (Cal Club) in this thread I hope folks closer to San Diego come out too!

The SCCA autocross events welcome all comers with just about any type of car no matter what your driving experience is. Every event has a novice course walk to help you learn what to look for when walking the course and how to drive that particular course. They also have instructors available that will either jump in your car and give you pointers or you can ask them to drive your car and show you what they are trying to explain. Don't shy away because you are worried about your driving or how competitive you are. This happened at my first time attending an SCCA course....

Why should you participate in SCCA autocross?
      For me the number 1 reason is that the courses are much longer and offer a much larger variety of features compared to the other autocross courses I've attended so they are amazingly fun!!! Some other reasons include:
      - Can be a very cheap way to autocross. Last Sunday I ran 8 runs on a super long course that was very high speed and it still took almost a full 60 seconds a run. It cost me $55.
      - Less time consuming. Both the LA and San Diego (SDR) regions ensure your run group and work group are always both before or after lunch. So you only need to come for half a day and can get up to 8 runs in.
      - Access to practice days on Saturday where you can get 12 runs on these amazing courses for $70
      - Monthly events. These regions both run an event every month.
      - Finally, I'm hoping to add this as a number 1 item in the future and that is the "people." Right now the San Diego region enjoys a fantastic group of CAM regulars which are great to compete against and hang out with. Most events a BBQ is brought out and some good eats car talk are had by all. If we can come 50% of the way to duplicating the fun the SDR guys have this will be the #1 reason to come out!

In the next post I will outline the logistics of how to attend one of the events and what it is like. In the mean time if you want more info on when LA regional events are happening or other info go here: www.solo2.com and if you want info on the San Diego region go here: http://www.sdr-scca.com/
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Country Flag: United States
      Logistics and cost.
      SCCA autocross events are typically held once a month. Saturday is "practice" day and has limited spots. Unless its the off season these spots will be hard to get if you aren't active in the SCCA community. Sunday are "championship" days and are open to everyone with no limit on the number of attendants. Championship days are when points eligible runs take place but you don't have to compete for points to run. The course is changed and usually run in the opposite directly between practice day and championship day so attending a practice day is for general practice, not to give you an advantage via practice on a specific course.

How much does it cost? If you are an SCCA member then the Sunday championship days cost $30 for LA and SDR. For the LA region you want to sign up online by Friday night otherwise you have to sign up onsite and it will cost $40. SDR doesn't do online signups and you just pay your $30 in person the same day as the event. In LA you can purchase x-runs for and additional $25 which will double the number of runs you get but the first half will still be the only ones that count for points.

How much does an SCCA membership cost? If you want to just "try it out" you can buy a weekend membership for $15. If you decide to later purchase a full SCCA membership within 60 days then the $15 weekend membership will be applied against full membership. Full membership costs $65 plus club dues. I honestly can't recall but I either paid the $65 or it might of been $80. You can also get a $15 discount on membership if you use an existing member referral. PM me if you want to use my membership number for the discount.

How many runs do I get? You will get either 3 or 4 championship points runs depending on how many participants attend. When its crowded and during a popular month (summer time at El Toro) you might only get 3. The rest of the time you get 4. Every SDR event I've attended I've received 4 runs. As mentioned above you can purchase extra runs (called X-runs). In LA they cost $25 and double the number of runs you get (if everyone is getting 3 runs you will get 3 more, if everyone is getting 4 runs you will get 4 more. You don't have to work any additional run groups if you purchase x-runs which is great.

Wait, what is this "work" you mentioned? The day is typically devided up into 3 "run groups" before lunch and 3 after lunch. All of your runs will occur in one run group and you will work one run group. This gets some flack from some people but its not that bad and it gives you a close up view of the action. Even better, if your work session is before your run session you can get a great view of the line being taken by the fast guys in your area of the track. Most LA events and all of the SDR events I've attended have local FSAE college students who will work your session if you pay them. Think it costs $20.

Where is it located? Most months the LA events are located at Fontana in the large squarish parking lot accross from the cart track. This lot is much larger than the ones used for the other autocross events you may have seen there (NMCA, Speedventures, optima USCA, etc.). This means much larger courses! During the summer months the LA region has run in Orange County at El Toro. It remains to be seen if we will get to run there in 2016 as there isn't much runway left.

How do I score points for the annual championship If you want to make a run for the season's points in your class you must purchase a points card for the calendar year. LA it costs $25. SDR it costs $30 but only costs $10 to renew in subsequent years. I just purchased my LA points card so I really hope some of you show up and give me some competition!

Wait, I only get 3-4 runs (6-8 if I buy x-runs)? I don't want to waste my day for that. Good news, you don't have to. Both the LA and SDR regions make it so you do all your runs and work assignments in the first half or 2nd half of the day. Last Sunday I was at Fontana just over 4 hours and got my 8 runs and was ready to head home before noon!

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Did I mention these events are fun?

SDR knows how to have a good time. Here are the pits from one of the many events I attended this year.

And video from one of the fun SDR courses!

Finally, Here is my quick event report from this past Sunday's outing to Fontana. Seeing some interest from Sal, Efrain and Greg motivated me to create this thread and hopefully get some interest for the 2016 season!

Given my last minute announcement we had a great turnout this past Sunday of CAM cars at the SCCA autocross with 5 of us competing.

Greg even chanced driving Scar in the rain to come out. As he told me himself, it isn't a trailer queen! Efrain came out in his sweet yellow 69. Sal came out to get some payback on me in his twin red 68 Camaro and Kevin was there in his Chevelle.

Scar is one sweet machine. The pain on it is beautiful and it was getting a ton of attention from the rest of the SCCA autocrossers!

It was a great day. Three of us bought x-runs and so we got 8 runs on a super long and fast course, worked our session and were in and out in just over 4 hours and it cost me $55 (I have an SCCA membership). I love all kinds of performance driving but SCCA autocrosses are quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Greg took some time to figure out the course but by the time he got into the x-runs he was laying down some sweet times and had the fastest time of the 5 of us. Here are the results:

My consolation prize was that with Greg initially getting lost on the course I took the "win" in the points runs

Here is video of this awesome course. ignore the out of sync g-meter.

I bought my 2016 points card to make a run at CAM T. Who is gonna help make it a competition??

The 2016 CalClub AutoClub / Fontana SCCA Autocross dates are up!

January 16-17
      February 20-21
      April 23-24
      May 14-15
      October 22-23
      November 12-13
      December 3-4

El Toro dates for the summer months are expected to be released within the week. Calling out my future CAM-T competitors now! Lets do this!

PS where are all the SoCal CAM competitors? This thread is lonely!

Chad do the Cal Club guys have a similar "club" system like we do in San Diego? Is the points card for a year end trophy for CAM? How many events do you have to make to qualify? Looking forward to you making enough SD events to qualify for the year end big trophy in San Diego this year...

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Yes, Cal Club requires a points card. You have to have a Points Card even at your first event that you sign up is their last event of the year and even if you are fun running only for no points. The first year you can buy a Points Card without designating one of the the sub- clubs (i.e. GRA). Also, you will need to pick your permanent points card number when you purchase your points card and that number will be your car number.

If my memory serves me right, wait until after the first of the year to buy your points card so that you're not buying a 2015 points card. I think they still offer their points card online.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-
      PS where are all the SoCal CAM competitors? This thread is lonely!
      I plan on attending a few meets as a spectator until I get the Mullet Truck on the road.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomswheels View Post
      Chad do the Cal Club guys have a similar "club" system like we do in San Diego? Is the points card for a year end trophy for CAM? How many events do you have to make to qualify? Looking forward to you making enough SD events to qualify for the year end big trophy in San Diego this year...
      Hi Tom. Here is the answer I got when I asked your question on the LAR forums.

In San Diego points earned aside, you must attend 2/3ds of all events to qualify for year end trophy.
      Then they remove the lowest points to nominilize to those 2/3rd of events (rounded up).
      In LA you must attend 1/2 of all events. A sliding scale then determines the number of drops based upon the total number of events held.

Example: Lets say 11 events held for the year in each region.
      In SD you must attend a minimum of 8 events, and only your best 8 events will be tallied for the year end total.
      In LA you must attend a minimum of 6 events, but only you best 8 events will be scored.

Attend 7 events in SD and accumulate enough point to win your class... sorry charlie, you did not attend the minimum number of events. That guy you slaughtered every event, who attended 8 events... but had less points, wins the jacket.
      Attend 7 events in LA, and still accumulate the most points... you win your class.
      Attend 6 events... and still pull off a class smack down in LA... you win your class
      Attend 5 events in LA... no participatory trophy given. :-)

Other than that differences are minor.
      SD uses a straight % of class winner (points are tight)
      LA used a multiplier (points spreads are larger)
      Ultimate difference, winners in SD often win my tenths of points. In LA by ten's of points.
      Where this plays out in LA... tenth of a sec win on 30 sec courses have more weight than a tenth of a sec win on 60sec course.
      In SD points a win by a tenth... is a tenth, be it a 30 sec course or a 120 sec course.

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Yes, Cal Club requires a points card. You have to have a Points Card even at your first event that you sign up is their last event of the year and even if you are fun running only for no points. The first year you can buy a Points Card without designating one of the the sub- clubs (i.e. GRA). Also, you will need to pick your permanent points card number when you purchase your points card and that number will be your car number.

If my memory serves me right, wait until after the first of the year to buy your points card so that you're not buying a 2015 points card. I think they still offer their points card online.
      How come more than 6 of us were able to participate with CalClub this year with no points card? I attended 4 events with CalClub this year with no points card. It also doesn't make sense to say a points card is required when they have the whole 6xx number policy for those without a points card.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point about a points card being required?

Sounds like the points card rule is not being enforced like it use to be. I never agreed with the rule I just wanted to run the event. I remember on occasion I would borrow a ride I still had to buy points card for that year even if it was the last event. I just looked up the rule and the rule is still there in the supps. Oh well, don't say anything.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

SoCal has no off season! First SCCA event for the LA region is this coming weekend. I can't make this one but I'm hoping we get some more CAM competitors showing up this year and making a battle for season points.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...2#.VpP2L_krKUk

One week from today is the next Cal Club autocross at Fontana! Who is in?

Here is video of my best run from the great time I had today with the San Diego crew.

I have GOT to get me one of those remote microphones for my GoPro!!
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      I have GOT to get me one of those remote microphones for my GoPro!!
      Sometimes messing with all the gopro/camera/phone stuff gets annoying but it sure is fun to relive the glory when you get home and be able to share it so yeah the new mic really improved the videos.

Another Sunday, another great day of autocrossing!

Yesterday marked the 2nd monthly CalClub autocross and my first time making it out. We had 7 CAM cars show up and as a reward everyone got to drive an amazing course and eat the free donuts I brought!

CAM C - Matt A. in his late model mustang that he calls "the rental car."

CAM S - Jane T. in her 64 Corvette (Scarlet)
      CAM S - Greg T. in his 65 Corvette (Scar)

CAM T - Efrain D. in his 69 Camaro
      CAM T - Ron M. in his 69 Camaro (making his SCCA debut!)
      CAM T - Kevin R. in his 65 Chevelle
      CAM T - Myself in the 68 Camaro

The weather was beautiful low 80's SoCal day, perfect for autocrossing.

The course yesterday was HUGE (times of almost a minute and a half)! The 2nd biggest course I've done and one of the big reasons I love going to the SoCal SCCA events. Both the CalClub region and San Diego region consistently create one minute plus courses with a lot of variety.

With such a long course DNF's were in vogue, though I think at least one or two of them were bad calls but everyone ran their best time without a DNF so it was all good.

In CAMT Efrain came out of the gate swinging and jumped into the lead in the first set of runs and kept that position for the first 3 of 4 competition runs. It wasn't until the 4th run that I managed to leapfrog him into 1st. In CAMS, Greg ran the fastest time of any of the CAM cars during the competition runs. Everyone loved Greg's car, including the announcer. Matt was up against another late model Mustang in CAM C who was on the RE71 tires and ultimately Matt wasn't able to catch him.

Here are the Official Results for the CAM cars as well as the X-runs that we did later.

And here is a video of my 77.8 second x-run.

And one final pic Ron took in the hot pits.

Thanks everyone for coming out! Hopefully, I see you again plus some of the other local autocrossers at future CalClub events.

PS. this is the same lot the CAM Challenge will be held in April so as you can see the courses possible in this lot are awesome!

The next CalClub autocross is at El Toro Sunday 3/20/16 El Toro is super convenient for us OC dwellers and El Toro has been one of the best autocross venues in the country with amazing grip on the concrete runways.

Bump. I'm hoping to see some new CAM T cars come out. El Toro is a fantastic location too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Bump. I'm hoping to see some new CAM T cars come out. El Toro is a fantastic location too!
      Would love to join you guys at El Toro but I'll be at the GG's in Pleasanton. We'll see you SoCal folks at the CAM Challenge.

George Dias
      1973 Camaro
      2002 SVT Lightning
      2003 Z06 Corvette

2015 Truckin Throwdown Champion http://www.trucktrend.com/events/tru...by-ebc-brakes/

The next two weekends have SCCA autocross in Fontana!

This weekend (4/23-24) is the next monthly CalClub autocross and because it is competing with a national event the attendance is low. You can still get in on practice Saturday and 4 competition runs Sunday should be a shoe in. This is also another chance to practice on the same lot and surface as the CAM event the following weekend. I will be there both Saturday and Sunday.

The following weekend (4/30-5/1) is the California CAM challenge. As of this posting we have 48 CAM cars registered with the splits between CAM T/S/C being fairly even so each class is going to have some great competition! I'll also be at this event and am helping volunteer too. If you don't have a CAM eligible car you can still come out and run the same number of runs at a discounted price in exchange for helping with an extra work assignment on Sunday.

Okay, I've been slacking on keeping this thread updated. However, there has been plenty of SCCA autocrossing going on in SoCal!

Since my last update I've attended:
      CAM Challenge 4/30-5/1
      CalClub SCCA practice day 5/14
      San Diego SCCA autocross 5/15
      San Diego SCCA autocross 6/5

CAM Challenge West
      I was pretty stoked with the turnout at the CAM challenge. CAMT was the largest group of the three classes with 25 cars that competed! You can check out the results of Saturday here: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1462135938

The Sunday shootout results are here:
      http://www.scca.com/events/1982796-2...-cam-challenge

Some pics I found someone took of some of the CAM challenge:
      http://hotrodhotel.net/media-2/scca-...gallery/page/1

You Sunday shootout finalists here:

Brett with the 99 Mustang on the left was the overall shootout winner.
      Mary Pozzi was the Saturday CAMT winner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com