Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default Ryans 72 c10 build

    Hello everybody,
    This truck was given to me by a friend. It was taken apart about 9 years ago for restoration then they got side tracked by several other projects and it was left sitting in a field. There is a lot of rust however I see a lot of projects start off worse than mine and for free I'm not complaining.

    It will be a short bed once I'm done with it. Not trying to set any auto x or land speed records with it, #1 goal will be to just have fun.
    Suspension:
    2.5 spindles with 2" springs up front, 3" blocks with 4" springs out back
    I'm not sure which springs exactly yet or shocks and sway bars.
    pfab trailing arms

    Brakes:
    fronts - stock rotors with Wilwood D52 calipers
    rear - disc conversion with '92-'02 astro van rotors and Wilwood D52 calipers

    The engine build is already under way. It was an old 454 truck engine 1979-1982 if I remember right. It will be a 496 stroker on EFI with about 650 hp. Hydraulic roller cam, Dart pro-1 rectangle port heads.
    Trans- 400 turbo with gear vendors overdrive

    That's it for now, heres some pics.


    ~[URL=http://s544.photobucket.com/user/ryno1979/media/20150725_160851.jpg.html][/URL








  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    72
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Looks to be a pretty clean truck, which are getting hard to find these days!

    What are the plans for wheels and tires?

    I would recommend running a 6" rear spring with a 1" block to keep the axle closer to the trailing arms. We have a 2"/6" drop kit with shocks and sway bars, let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

    Jon Rasmussen
    Hotchkis Performance
    877-466-7655 ext. 224
    jrasmussen@hotchkis.net

    Hotchkis Performance East
    704-660-3060

    Check out our Facebook page!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,159
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans C10 View Post
    ~[URL=http://s544.photobucket.com/user/ryno1979/media/20150725_160851.jpg.html][/URL
    I see you're a Ford man.

    Looking forward to the build. That gen is my favorite. Someday I'd like to build one as a daily driver.
    Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Segundo, CA
    Posts
    268
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    650 hp and stock rotors? I'm not sure I'd be happy with that myself. Looks like a cool truck!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon @ Hotchkis View Post
    Looks to be a pretty clean truck, which are getting hard to find these days!

    What are the plans for wheels and tires?

    I would recommend running a 6" rear spring with a 1" block to keep the axle closer to the trailing arms. We have a 2"/6" drop kit with shocks and sway bars, let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
    Its really not in that bad of shape, the pics do no justice but the bed is mostly gone and I have a parts truck with a half way decent bed I'll get new outer panels for. Then it needs floorboards, kick panels, cab supports, inner and outer rockers, cab corners, lower door skins and some adjoining sheet metal to the floor boards. The hood and fenders are in great shape.
    I really dont know what to do about wheels yet, I change my mind about 3 times per minute on that stuff. What would a suspension setup like that cost???

    Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
    I see you're a Ford man.

    Looking forward to the build. That gen is my favorite. Someday I'd like to build one as a daily driver.
    Haha thanks mine too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    650 hp and stock rotors? I'm not sure I'd be happy with that myself. Looks like a cool truck!
    Just a temporary thing since it has semi fresh vented heavy duty rotors already, if they dont perform up to par ill grab a better set for the track. What would you recommend?


    The truck is actually a C20, at some point it was converted to the 5 lug C10 front end. The ball joints were replaced at some point also so no grinding rivets for me

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    650 hp and stock rotors? I'm not sure I'd be happy with that myself. Looks like a cool truck!
    D52s with stock 1.24" rotors have a pile of stopping power when matched to the system, not sure how well they will balance with Ryan's rear braking set-up. For his street use, it will be solid. I run almost the identical set-up on my truck, but I needed as much venting as I could fit in, keep in mind I'm doing this...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6qlmlUSP4

    I'm going to be spending a lot of effort to upgrade my brake set-up, but not for braking force - I need to control heat better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bovey View Post
    D52s with stock 1.24" rotors have a pile of stopping power when matched to the system, not sure how well they will balance with Ryan's rear braking set-up. For his street use, it will be solid. I run almost the identical set-up on my truck, but I needed as much venting as I could fit in, keep in mind I'm doing this...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6qlmlUSP4

    I'm going to be spending a lot of effort to upgrade my brake set-up, but not for braking force - I need to control heat better.
    Thanks for the reply Mark! I must say, your build thread is going to be a huge inspiration for mine. Awesome truck!!! Almost makes me want to keep the long bed.... almost.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    72
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans C10 View Post
    Its really not in that bad of shape, the pics do no justice but the bed is mostly gone and I have a parts truck with a half way decent bed I'll get new outer panels for. Then it needs floorboards, kick panels, cab supports, inner and outer rockers, cab corners, lower door skins and some adjoining sheet metal to the floor boards. The hood and fenders are in great shape.
    I really dont know what to do about wheels yet, I change my mind about 3 times per minute on that stuff. What would a suspension setup like that cost???
    Are you going to run a wood bed?

    Shoot me a PM and I can get you some pricing.

    Jon Rasmussen
    Hotchkis Performance
    877-466-7655 ext. 224
    jrasmussen@hotchkis.net

    Hotchkis Performance East
    704-660-3060

    Check out our Facebook page!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Most likely yes. The wood bed kits look to be alot cheaper than the replacement steel pans, and they look amazing.

    I wish I had some progress to speak of, however the cab is coming off next week and going to the body shop. Then Ill start working on the frame and suspension.
    In the meantime, heres some more pics.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    I kind of let this die but there isn't enough traffic in the truck forum so im updating it lol. Alot of progress has been made on the truck and it has changed directions a few times.
    The big block is out and its getting a lq9 with a small cam and t56.
    I have alot more pics to upload later today.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Heres some more pics.
    nolimit front and rear sway bars
    nolimit rear shock relocaters
    I built a nolimit inspired center brace but I feel like it needs more maybe in the rear section.
    9 inch rear with a yukon third member, detroit tru trac dif with 3.50 gears.
    AGR steering box.
    I relocated the lower ball joints 1 inch forward and outward .250" but I failed to get any good pics of the work..
    What are some good tie rod adjusters?
    Attached Images Attached Images                      

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Im not to sure why some of the pics rotated? wierd..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    11
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Geting the DBW pedal mocked up.
    Is it better to host images somewhere else or is there a way to rotate images in the attachments here?
    Attached Images Attached Images  



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •