Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: dropped a valve

Country Flag: United States

dropped a valve

Dodge 360 - .030 over, Lunati Voodoo cam, Comp springs. Cam is pretty mild under .500. The header on number one had a hole in it, right near the bend as it comes off the block. I guess I got lucky I was idling in my driveway and was able to shut it down right away - kill switch. Pulled the head yesterday to find the valve broke under the retainer which from up top still looked ok - but the spring came right off its perch. I will have to replace # 1 piston as it is cracked, but the bore is ok. It only went rotated a few times after I heard the little part of something go through the header. Header is already welded and looks fine (yea steel headers for once- cause I can't weld ti) Engine is sitting on a stand. Had about 350 miles on the rebuild. I used comp cams oil and I never raced it. Cam looks fine, pushrods are all ok. I have good oil pressure - 75 lbs on start and 50 lbs at cruise.

Now I am doubting my whole valve train. There was nothing special about the head, but I think new valves are in order. Heck, I might even have em ported since I have to do one, do em both. Thoughts? That valve must have got really hot once upon a time. The shaft right under the valve head is blue. valve head looks ok. I will need a new seat in the head.

I'd check valve guide clearance.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Well, quick update, I had the motor out, but the shop who built it is going to make it right. Guess there are still some standup guys out there. And we are replacing the whole valve train and keepers - my cost, his labor. So I lost a little bit of time pulling it out, but in the meantime got the headers VHT painted and fixing some stuff I wanted to anyway.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com