Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keisler TKO 600 vs. ATS T56 Kit

I am looking at converting an auto 68 camaro with a BB427 to a 5/6 speed. I have found full conversion kits from Keisler (TKO600) and the T56 kit from ATS.

I am looking for pros/cons of both. The Keisler conversion is significantly less $4350 on your doorstep, vs $5500 to your door for the T56.

Car will be a daily driver, currently has a 12 bolt posi with 355's.

Country Flag: United States
      Mostly that is because a T56 is more expensive than a TKO600.. the real question is do you want/need a 5-speed or double overdrive 6-speed.

You could also get a close ratio T56 where 6th is .64 instead of .50 .. this makes it a bit more useable. The TKO will be a bit more stout but a T56 is pretty damn strong as well. Hmm.. I would go with the T56 and 4.11 gears.. litterally.

also, once you determine what trans you want you should then ask around about who makes the best install kit. I know the ATS T56 kit is pretty good and I have heard the CS is excelent. I have heard the Keisler TKO kit is pretty good but the CS is somewhat lacking (just what Ive heard).

Both are great transmissions. Oh, will you be running a factory console? If so then the TKO will fit it easier in the stock location.
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Steve, thanks for the info. If possible, I would prefer to leave the 355's in the rear end, it is all new... will be going with a stock center console.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1
      Steve, thanks for the info. If possible, I would prefer to leave the 355's in the rear end, it is all new... will be going with a stock center console.
      Well with the 355's you will hardly ever use the 6th gear of a T-56.. at least the one with a .50 overdrive. If you get the T-56 then get the other .64 6th gear ratio.

I had 3:73's and in 6th gear I did like 1100 rpms at 70mph.. lol.. good for milage but it felt weird.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

For a T56 kit - you can't go wrong with ATS. If you go with the 3.55's consider a six speed with the .62 overdrve - it should be more than enough overdrive for you.

For a 5 speed kit consider Classic Chevy 5-Speed - we use an ummodified TKO600 with the McLeod Slik Stix bolt on shifter. This hifter is the best performing shifter for the TKO's, it achievs stock shifter position and requires no mods to you car whatsoever. Also, the kit is fully complete using the highest quality McLeod clutch components.
      Click here for a look at the complete bolt in kit:
      http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/El..._74_Camaro.htm

Also, consider doing a key word search on the various message boards to find opinions about any vendor you may be consdering. You will find lots of postive feedback about ATS as well as Classic Chevy 5-Speed.
      Jeff Mortenson

Jeff,

Regarding your elite kits, what else is needed to complete the auto-manual swap? Pedals, etc.

sam1-
      You will need the clucth pedal assembly and clutch linkage - these parts are readily avaiable from the Camaro parts shops (Classic Industries, Ground Up, Year One, etc.) for about $200.
      The only other item you will need is the GM Syncromesh fluid.
      We provide all of the hardware as well as a 20 page installation instruction manual plus unlimieted tech support if you need it.
      Here is another thread that I noticed yesterday that may be of interest to you: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66567.
      Fel free to call with any questions.
      Jeff Mortenson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
      Well with the 355's you will hardly ever use the 6th gear of a T-56.. at least the one with a .50 overdrive. If you get the T-56 then get the other .64 6th gear ratio.

I had 3:73's and in 6th gear I did like 1100 rpms at 70mph.. lol.. good for milage but it felt weird.

1100? Did you have a .25 6th? LOL.

With 3:42s, a 26" tall tire and .5 6th, I'm at 1500rpms at 66mph. At 90, it's like 2000rpms. 6th is excellent for gas mileage and nothing more as top speed is reached in 5th, not 6th anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph LoGrasso
      1100? Did you have a .25 6th? LOL.

With 3:42s, a 26" tall tire and .5 6th, I'm at 1500rpms at 66mph. At 90, it's like 2000rpms. 6th is excellent for gas mileage and nothing more as top speed is reached in 5th, not 6th anyways.
      Well it was 3 years ago.. i could be off but damn.. it was so low that car really felt like a pig unless you downshifted.. but I was pretty sure it was less than 1500rpms.. (insert the shrug here)...

Yes, I hit 174 in 5th and 6th gear slowed me down..

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
      Well it was 3 years ago.. i could be off but damn.. it was so low that car really felt like a pig unless you downshifted.. but I was pretty sure it was less than 1500rpms.. (insert the shrug here)...

Yes, I hit 174 in 5th and 6th gear slowed me down..

Yeah, acceleration is all but non-existent in 6th gear. Those numbers are taken directly from my car, but a rearend calculator may confirm?

174, ehh? Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph LoGrasso
      Yeah, acceleration is all but non-existent in 6th gear. Those numbers are taken directly from my car, but a rearend calculator may confirm?

174, ehh? Nice!
      I had to justify the 200mph speedo purchase.. lol

Actually I think I could have got a few more since I was still pulling a bit but **** happens fast at that speed and I didn't want to fly by mr. CHP..

Car felt very stable at that speed too.. and lower..

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

LOL, well it certainly was justified, huh?

The car had heads/cam, right? I bet it woulda pulled a bit more. I'm not sure that would have been a friendly ticket given by CHP at that speed, lol!

My experience, I recently installed a tko600 (.64) in my camaro that I purchased from classicchevy5speed and the customer service over there is great! As for the trans I love it! I can't keep my hand off the stick ! I'm running 3.42 gears with a 315/35 17 which I think is about a 26" tire and at 80mph I'm at 2300-2400rpm in 5th which is cool but the 4th to 5th gear drop in rpm seems like alot..maybe should have got the road race tko (.82). if you decide on the tko remember one thing....they're all the same so you may want to go with company that gives you the best service.

"I have heard the Keisler TKO kit is pretty good but the CS is somewhat lacking (just what Ive heard)."

I can tell you from first hand experience that Keisler customer service is worse than "lacking," it's abominable.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hammered

I can tell you from first hand experience that Keisler customer service is worse than "lacking," it's abominable.

Unless you follow them around the car show circuit like a groupy. Then they take care of you, apparently.
      I bought my "no hack job complete, t56 kit from them Aug 2004, recieved it end of Janunary 2005.
      I have had to modify every single part of the kit in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammered
      "I have heard the Keisler TKO kit is pretty good but the CS is somewhat lacking (just what Ive heard)."

i'm gonna have to agree. they're the kind of company that won't do sh*t till you call them raving mad, and then suddenly your parts that were backordered and backlogged and backtracked and in production will show up the next day.

In my experience their product is good, though. It just took me from easter till august to get my daily driver back on the road

I'll throw in my comment here as well. Stay away from Keisler. My shifter ball pops out of the detent when you shift it into reverse (poor design) and it took a face to face conversation with Shafi Keisler at the sema show to get them to agree to send me the updated parts that are suppose to fix the problem. We'll see if they actually do it. Jeff has been helpful with everyone whether you bought a tranny from him or not. I would recommend him anyday.

Sounds like CS is the way to go... thanks for the input.

I just finished installing my kit from classic chevy, CS was great and Jeff and Jim were both very helpfull even when I put my clutch plate in backwards DOHH. ATS or Classic is the way to go just depends on what your needs are. Oh and it took one week to get all my parts from classic.
      Last edited by 68BNUT; 11-04-2005 at 01:27 PM. Reason: kant spell
      Justin, 68 Camaro Update:5 speed is in and neighbors are pissed!

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
      The SEMA show was great as usual, the ProTouring dinner was a lot of fun.
      As always, feel free to call with questions.
      Last edited by Ralph LoGrasso; 11-04-2005 at 06:53 PM.
      Jeff Mortenson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com