Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1966 Mustang Street/track Build

Guess I will start a thread on my build, I had it in vintage-mustang but those guys get mad that the car will have bigger than 15" wheels lol

Now this wont be like most on here. I will not have $10,000 suspension. Or $3,000 wheels. I cannot afford any of that stuff. I am building the car the be fun on the street and handle the best it can on the track the way it will be set.
      But I will be doing all the work my self and doing it on a budget.

Lets gets started.

I bought this car from my Uncle after interest was lost and space ran out.

He had started a Vintage class Trans-Am racecar. Is was being built to be a copy of Walt Hane ( eps-hane.com ) 66 track car.

They started with a stock 66 v8/3 speed car with great bones. Not much rust, and very straight.

It was acid dipped. and Fully stitchwelded. Every seam and crack has now been welded. The rear was tubbed to the frame rails and I will run as wide of a tire as I can. The front fender had a 1.5 flair added.

Then the Interior got a 10 point cage with driver door bar. Remember this was going to be a actual competitive race.

This was all done between 1999 and 2001ish..... and the car sat ever since.

Now here is where my part starts. I bought the car in 2013 and had no money or time. Now I have more time, but still not a lot of money. hahaha

Here is the how it sat.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

With the car sitting for so long, there was some surface rust. The entire inside, under, trunk, bay, etc was all sprayed with epoxy but not the roof, doors, fenders,

So I had to start allover on body work. The body work that was done A: had rust under it B: was not done well.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

After I completed all the main body work I got the car in full prime. Now wishing I had done done some rear fender flares, closed in the cowl vents, and shaved the drip rails...... But im a little to far along and itching to get the car done.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

In the mean time I was on the hunt for a good drivetrain.

found this 1989 5.0 wrecked for $600 running and driving. I pulled the engine and trans, sold the rest for $800 got a free engine and trans and made $200. Was a good deal!

I pulled the motor apart to see how it looked, and was surprised to see it not is bad shape. I have decided to build the top end and go through everything, so I disassembled and took to my machine shop.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

While the motor is off getting cleaned up, I got the engine bay painted. I used Summit racing chassis coat. Came out pretty good. the stuff is very thin and watery, gotta be careful spraying.

Then I got my torque boxes installed. What a giant pain in the ass. You would like by now someone would make a set that fits....... after hours of grinding and bangin with a BFH I got them in and welded up.

For the inner fenders I used Raptor liner. I have used this on several other projects and love it.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Got around to painting the interior and used the chassis coat again. Floor pans are solid.

Pulled all the suspension off to pain the underside. Now I wanted to used raptor liner, but I am not putting a 4-link out of the question down the road and wanted something that was easily cleaned off for welding and easily put back on after im done. I am not quite finished with what I am doing under there, so I decided to do the black chassis coat as its easy to take off and respray anytime.

Before putting the front suspension back on I gave it a little color. I used Duplicolor hammertone. Which is what il use on the cage aswell.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Got a shipment of fun stuff!!

A Ron Francis standalone harness for the EFI. I am going to use a speedway 20 circuit harness for the car simple and easy!

And a Fuel tank from Rhodes racecars. I know they are not cetified, but ir was the best deal out there for a direct fit tank. Alum, 22 gal. AN fittings, sending unit. Way better than a stock replacement.

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

I have been struggling to find a color for the car. I originally wanted to do Flat White. But that just doesn't show much. From a distance it just looks white.

After a lot of thinking I got hooked on Corvette Laguna Blue.

I am Getting the car blocked out now. and hopefully will spray in the next few weeks. I sill have a lot of prep work on the doors and fenders and would like to spray all together. But I may end up just doing the body and the rest later. I don't have a hood yet or front valance.
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Yay, another coupe! . I am digging that color. Keep us posted.

Good start!

Looking good! Subscribed!

Country Flag: Canada
      I'm liking it!

I get the same feeling with VMF sometimes, thats why I hang out in the Modified section lol.

Coming together nicely. The blue will look great on the coupe.

Nice. Can't wait to see more...
      Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

I have been so Fing busy lately I havnt done anything more.

But I did get my motor from the machine shop! Il post the specs later.

Also got a package from Quick performance!!

Cant wait to open it up and check the quality of this thing

1966 Mustang Street/track Build

Any progress is good progress

I love that blue, but I gotta ask what is the silver on that Nova in the background? I've been trying to find a nice, warm silver to two tone my white 65 falcon with and I think you have it there...

Nice work so far. you make it look easy.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow66 View Post
      I love that blue, but I gotta ask what is the silver on that Nova in the background? I've been trying to find a nice, warm silver to two tone my white 65 falcon with and I think you have it there...
      Thank you! The nova is Cadillac Pearl white and Duplicolor paint shop silver.
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Alright! you're moving right along. I agree on VMF, too many snobs on mods. Plus my computer's firewall blocks the majority of the site for some reason.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com