Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Holley vs Edelbrock carbs... 455 Olds Engine. Opinions?

Okay, so I'm sure that everybody has their preference in carburetors, much like most folks have their brand loyalty to Dodge, GM, Ford, etc. In my particular case, I have a '71 442 that I started to restore and the engine, although having a thrown rod and needing a complete rebuild, has an Edelbrock 4-barrel carb. Now, it's seized and needs to be rebuilt as well, but it would certainly be cheaper than a new carb. However, I've been told by some Cutlass/442 people that Edelbrock carbs suck, yadda yadda, and that Holley is the only carb to get for the 455 engine.

Any thoughts or opinions? Photos of the carb are in my build thread, if needed.
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

1971 Oldsmobile 442

Country Flag: Canada
      Short version: edelbrocks are easy to tune to run decently. If you just want a big carb that runs reliably with decent driveability, go edelbrock.

Holley tends to need more tweaking to run right, but they're so tunable and have so many parts available that if you put in the time/pay a good professional you'll end up with more power, better response, more fuel economy, etc. Compared to an edelbrock. Few race teams of any ilk run edelbrocks, but lots of people are happy with them on a mild street car.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxjohn View Post
      Short version: edelbrocks are easy to tune to run decently. If you just want a big carb that runs reliably with decent driveability, go edelbrock.

Holley tends to need more tweaking to run right, but they're so tunable and have so many parts available that if you put in the time/pay a good professional you'll end up with more power, better response, more fuel economy, etc. Compared to an edelbrock. Few race teams of any ilk run edelbrocks, but lots of people are happy with them on a mild street car.
      John,

That's pretty much what I thought. Since our engine won't be a street monster or a big racer (at least not yet, hehe), we need something that's easy to work with, reliable and dependable. This carb should fit the bill. Thanks for your input!

1971 Oldsmobile 442

Lot of people looking into the FITech.

http://fitechefi.com/
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

I second the FITech, a nice product at a reasonable price and it uses OEM GM injectors and sensors and a standard Bosch O2 sensor.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
      Lot of people looking into the FITech.

http://fitechefi.com/

Funny enough, I was just researching Edelbrock and MSD EFI systems, but this is actually more appealing for me! Our budget is low and we're not looking to build a bling-machine or a race-warrior. Just a nice cruiser that can do some moderate damage here and there, both in a straight line, and in the twisties. ))

Thanks for the great advice, guys!

1971 Oldsmobile 442

The Edelbrock is a station wagon carb. I f you wanna go fast you use a Holley. If you want a station wagon carb on a GM you might as well use a Q-Jet, at least it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by 00fxd View Post
      The Edelbrock is a station wagon carb. I f you wanna go fast you use a Holley. If you want a station wagon carb on a GM you might as well use a Q-Jet, at least it fits.
      Couple of Nova's with station wagon carbs... http://vid434.photobucket.com/albums...ps4a010362.mp4

Q-Jets? Sweet .... :-)

To be fair and balanced here is one sporting a Holley. He ran Q-jets for years until he went to the 302/4-speed combination. http://vid434.photobucket.com/albums...psc5c634d7.mp4

Great video's, thanks for posting them ...

Antioch, CA...gateway to the California Delta

Holley vs Edelbrock carbs... 455 Olds Engine. Opinions?

In my experience the edelbrock carb is just fine for a grocery getter, very tunable and good mileage but....cuts out on the twistys and hard acceleration. The Holley is much more tunable (if you have the experience, time and a wide band A/F meter) and performs well in all high G situations. I prefer the Holley most of the time. When I do long road trips with the family I throw on the edelbrock. The edelbrock carb also seems to work better at altitude, still cuts out on twistys.

a little late to the party, but, Cliff Ruggles is THE authority on Q-jets. talk to him. you may be surprised.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Boxjohn View Post

What he said, but really depends on how you drive it. If it sits most of time and you take it out on the weekends, Edelbrock. If you run it all the time and love tuning, Holley. Be prepared to rebuild that Holley everytime it backfires...

ruggles Q-Jet's are awesome, FYI. But you will all alone for local tuning unless you just happen to find a local wacko who knows q-jets for some reason.

Holley...nothing else...stick with Holley. They're fun and easy to work with once you've gotten used to them. They are just as happy on the street as a Q-Jet or Edelbrock-but like everything NOT fuel injected there will be little oddities to it like learning how/when/if to pump it before starting the engine when its cold/hot, crappy fuel causing ignition detonation....stuff like that. Holley carbs dont require an overhaul if they backfire-the power valves from the last 20+ years have blowout protection and Ive never had one need a rebuild after a backfire and oh boy I've had a few stuck valves in my time too lol.

Holley has always been the best all around carb that is great out of the box and will reward you immensely if you take the time to carefully select modifications to it that suit your driving habits and the vehicles capabilities. If you like some bathroom reading material pick up a Holley Tuning guide by HP Books and get familiar with how they work and learn to tune your carb for performance yourself-it really isnt too difficult and once you've got it you'll never forget it.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Holley....Known for making carbs....and tons of race cars use them.

Edelbrock....meh. I don't think they make anything worth spending money on. Maybe a SBC intake manifold that's about it.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

AFIK Edelbrock carbs are webber AFB.

They are easy, and reliable

in my Cutlass i ran both q jets and 4150 Holleys, i liked the Holley best so thats what i used. in all 3 rebuilds i stuck with the 4150s and never had a problem, plus they are easy to work on if its needed.

one of my cars still uses one of the first Edelbrock carbs sold ... late 1987. its very easy to tune and very reliable. only issue i had with edelbrock carbs was if you have a source of contamination develop in the fuel system (like an aging gas tank) they can be challenging to get to run right after cleaning and rebuilding.
      89 Supercharged Saleen 352 rwhp, 93 Mustang LX 347 stroker 420 rwhp daily driver, 78 Firebird, 69 Opel Kadett Rallye ex-SCCA track car..."everyone needs to own a 4-bbl 4 cylinder once"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com