Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

X Pipe vs Choppy Idle

I have a Chevelle with a mild cammed LS1 (550 Lift, 220/230 Dur, 109 LSA) Hooker Headers, X Pipe, Magnaflows, and Stainless Tips. This exhaust set up is a little to mellow for me. It does sound good at WOT.

I just bought some Black Widow Mufflers. I was thinking of removing the X Pipe to make the exhaust a little louder and choppy.

My question is are Magnaflows mellow period? Are black widows louder than magnaflows? Has the X Pipe ever mellowed out the tone to much for anyone else?

I knowi ts all personal preference as sound goes, but just curious of what you guys thought.

Thanks
      James W.
      SoCal
      Instagram: @626Chevelle
      1968 Chevelle for the track and fun LS1
      1972 Chevelle True Daily Driver

Used to be known as SlowJammin626

I hear the Black Widows are on the loud side. If you want a real hotrod ground pounding throaty sound that is not too loud try Flowmasters. I believe the Delta 50s would-be best for the street.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I would focus on finding a louder muffler. The X-pipe is a good thing, I wouldn't get rid of it for the sake of noise. The Magnaflows might be a bit on the quiet side anyways, I think of them as more of a street rod type muffler.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I would not get rid of the X-Pipe

Plenty of loud, choppy cars with X pipes. Swap your mufflers on and enjoy it.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Try some Borla XR-1's. I had them with an X-pipe on my 432 hp 98 Trans Am, and it just sounded awesome, the LS1's tend to work well with them. It was definitely loud enough.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I really appreciatet the feedbackf fellas thanks. I'm going to install the Black Widows and see how it sounds with the X Pipe. I was curioust to see if anyone experienced the same mellow tone as I did. I know everyone loves the X Pipe
      James W.
      SoCal

On my cougar I run the Hooker v304 mufflers and a very simple dual exhaust without any sort of crossover pipe. It doesn't sound like a LS engine at all but more like an old school hot rod. I have the ASA cam. Look in my build thread for videos with sound.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Andrewb70 that cougar is awesome and sounds great. That's a very original build
      James W.
      SoCal

Can you please do a before and after video of the exhaust? I am very curious of the sound difference with those mufflers. A buddy and I have been contemplating getting a pair or not.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

This is with 1 7/8" headers, 3" X-pipe, Hooker MaxFlow mufflers and tailpipes. It's actually a bit too loud for comfortable cruising, so looking for ways to quiet it down. Was louder and more raspy before I fit the X pipe. Agree with others to keep the X.

74 Javelin AMX exhaust sound
      Duane
      '74 AMC Javelin AMX

It's not the pipes, The mufflers are the devices that control the dbs

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJammin626 View Post
      I have a Chevelle with a mild cammed LS1 (550 Lift, 220/230 Dur, 109 LSA) Hooker Headers, X Pipe, Magnaflows, and Stainless Tips. This exhaust set up is a little to mellow for me. It does sound good at WOT.

I just bought some Black Widow Mufflers. I was thinking of removing the X Pipe to make the exhaust a little louder and choppy.

My question is are Magnaflows mellow period? Are black widows louder than magnaflows? Has the X Pipe ever mellowed out the tone to much for anyone else?

I knowi ts all personal preference as sound goes, but just curious of what you guys thought.

Thanks

I'm running Flowmaster Super 44's with an H pipe and it sounds great! As ppl stated it's not the pipes it's more the mufflers. The X pipe will give you a more "exotic" higher pitch whereas an H pipe will give you a deeper rumble. Lmk how you like your Black Widows, I'm curious how ppl like them.

there are magnaflows that are loud and choppy and there mellow ones. how long of case effects that. two magnaflow race mufflers will be loud and super choppy. granted bullets of some others will be cheaper.