Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

wheel size with detroit speed subframe, first gen camaro

I have a 67 camaro and I ordered the Detroit Speed subframe and I noticed the largest front wheel they recommend is a 18x9 with 255/35/18. do any members with a first gen camaro run the DS subframe with either a 18x10, 19x9, or 19x10? what size tire you running? any issues? any feedback? Please post pics of stance

Country Flag: United States
      I think DSE is just being conservative on their advertising. I'm running a DSE sub in Dust Off and I'm running 18x10 275s with a 6.5" back space. A couple of things you must do for this to work. 1. You must replace the factory fender wheel well liner bolts with Button head allen bolts so the tire does not get snagged on the bolt head and damaged. 2. Once you have the car aligned you will likely need to install an extra set of steering limit stops to the steering rack to limit how far the front wheels turn. Other than that I have had no tire clearance issues at all using the factory inner fenders.

Name:  KRS_5160.jpg
Views: 3791
Size:  233.9 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

i went with a 9.5" rim because the rear i wanted to use a 315/30/18. I've always been told that on a staggered setup 40mm front and rear is a nice sweet spot. On a 9.5" rim on the front and a 11" rim on the rear the tire bulge is identical. This aligns the tire in the perfect spot of the rim.

thanks for the replies, this really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I think DSE is just being conservative on their advertising. I'm running a DSE sub in Dust Off and I'm running 18x10 275s with a 6.5" back space. A couple of things you must do for this to work. 1. You must replace the factory fender wheel well liner bolts with Button head allen bolts so the tire does not get snagged on the bolt head and damaged. 2. Once you have the car aligned you will likely need to install an extra set of steering limit stops to the steering rack to limit how far the front wheels turn. Other than that I have had no tire clearance issues at all using the factory inner fenders.

Name:  KRS_5160.jpg
Views: 3791
Size:  233.9 KB
      your car looks great, i love the stance. what size rear wheel/tire are you running? is your front tire size a 275/35/18? are you running a detroit speed quadralink?

Steve,

Got a picture or two of your rack limiters?
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Steve,

Got a picture or two of your rack limiters?

I would be interested to see those as well. I have to do the same thing on the rack and pinion to keep the tire from rubbing the frame.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

I don't have pics of the travel limiters installed. They are a "C" shaped nylon ring 1/4" wide and they are located under the rubber boots on each end of the steering rack housing where they simply clip on the rack shaft and limit how far the rack is allowed to travel. You can find them on some of the Mustang performance sites or you can get them from Ford. Ford has them listed as Travel Restrictors part # N804842-S Washer. The parts guy at my local Ford dealership had no idea what I was talking about, so if you go to Ford just give them the PN. I paid something like $10 for a package of 4 and they take maybe 15 minutes to install. Many steering racks already have some limiters installed so you just add additional limiters till you have the travel restriction you need. For example, my DSE supplied rack was equipped with two limiters on each side but I needed to add one additional limiter on each side to stop the wheel rub on the frame.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KB Camaro View Post
      your car looks great, i love the stance. what size rear wheel/tire are you running? is your front tire size a 275/35/18? are you running a detroit speed quadralink?
      Thanks! Fronts are 18x10 w/6.5" back space 275/35R-18 tires, rears are 18x12 w/5.75" back space 335/30R-18 tires. The rear suspension is a Chassisworks triangulated 4 link and Moser 9" floater with 57" wms to wms width and Varishock double adjustable coilover shocks. I also have DSE Mini-tubs installed.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Thanks! Fronts are 18x10 w/6.5" back space 275/35R-18 tires, rears are 18x12 w/5.75" back space 335/30R-18 tires. The rear suspension is a Chassisworks triangulated 4 link and Moser 9" floater with 57" wms to wms width and Varishock double adjustable coilover shocks. I also have DSE Mini-tubs installed.
      thanks again for all the info. last question, what year is your camaro?

Thanks Steve. I've got those exact parts except made by Roush Racing. I'll bet the Ford ones are cheaper and better. I asked because I've got a customer car with marks on the fender lip, and DSE doesn't sell rack limiters for their gear.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Can you reuse the boot retainer on the DSE rack ?

By boot retainer, if you mean the spring clip on the small end of the boot, then yes it is reusable. However, my DSE supplied rack had no clamp on the large end of the boot. I suppose one could just use a nylon tie strap or screw type hose clamp if you think it's necessary.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

My DSE rack has metal band on both ends of boot . Look as though you would need a special tool to install or replace it .

the dse boot likes like the ez clip

Quote Originally Posted by D.Alman View Post
      My DSE rack has metal band on both ends of boot . Look as though you would need a special tool to install or replace it .
      Is your rack a DSE branded unit? My DSE supplied rack is actually a Ford branded unit.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

My rack is branded DSE .

Question do those spacers just float on the rod or do u attach them some how

They just float, although float is not really an accurate description. Once clipped on they are a snug fit on the rod and the first time you turn your wheels to lock they get pushed outboard next to the inner tie rod lock nut where they stay.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com