Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 80 Camaro Build

Country Flag: United States
      This is what I found, the rest of the engine is in great shape. No damage to valve or pushrod.

I've had a really hard time trying to decide what to do with the rotating assembly. The LY6 is a 9.6:1 compression engine, and the majority of cams I look at, looks like it hurts my torque with the low compression. I was planning on ditching the vvt, but unsure now. I can mill the heads and go with a .040" head gasket to pick up some. I'm not a huge fan of milling the heads very far. If I do pistons I might as well stroke it. Looking for donations if anyone is interested.

Anybody with cam knowledge please put in your two cents. It looks to me, all these high horsepower cams are going to really hurt low-mid range torque(which i expect). They're is a lot of really aggressive cam profiles out there, and why do they all run such stretched out durations between the intake and exhaust. I thought this would be easy, but I think this is going to take a little thought. I think I need to spend some more time on the lsx forum.

What I plan on using, so far: LS3 intake, dbw throttle body, leaning towards Mast Motorsports M-90 ecu, gm corvette accessory drive, hooker motor mounts.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I got the m-90 and a cam for my ls3 and a vintage air front runner set up, actually just got the vintage today!!!!!! Just finished the cam swap and changed valve springs etc and put rockers back to gether tonight. I wish i could be helpful on the engine stuff but just dont have enough knowledge. I dont know if youd be interested but I have the factory cam from my engine and it was out of an 2015 Camaro SS, they are rated at 420 hp. Supposed to be very low mileage. I sure wont need it, timing chain set etc. Have yoiu talked to Mast Motorsports about your cam/engine stuff? They are very helpful. I commend them for the 5 milion questions they have answered for me. Good luck!!
      Bruce Jeppesen
      "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
      1966 Chevelle
      1978 Ford F-150 4x4
      1930 Model
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...e-PT-Challenge

Need more time, more money and more ambition!!!

A lot of new progress. It really helps having a heated work area up here. Where did you score that engine? Ebay? Know there isn't much of a selection out here for junkyard / classifieds buys. Looks like you jumped right into the long term build.

As far as the engine goes, how much do you want to spend changing the compression? I know machine shops are spread out in these parts increasing costs for engine work. Wouldn't it be a head or piston swap to change up compression? Why not just get a lsa take off supercharger for it

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds View Post
      A lot of new progress. It really helps having a heated work area up here. Where did you score that engine? Ebay? Know there isn't much of a selection out here for junkyard / classifieds buys. Looks like you jumped right into the long term build.

As far as the engine goes, how much do you want to spend changing the compression? I know machine shops are spread out in these parted increasing costs for engine work. Wouldn't it be a head or piston swap to change up compression. Why not just get a lsa take off supercharger for it
      Surprisingly...I found this on ebay, where everyone wants new prices for used engines. I think I have a preliminary plan, and it might actually involve a ZL1 supercharger.

Fellow 80 camaro owner here. Great build you have going.

I was able to start to tackle some rust repair fun and found a little bit more. I thought the upper dash/cowl panel was in great shape until I removed the windshield. Found rust at the bottom corners where the windshield is glued. Ordered a new panel and a spot weld cutter set. I never thought it would be so hard to find all the spot welds and hit them dead on. This is the first time I've ever done anything with body work, definitely out of my comfort zone. I also need to work on my depth control, as you'll see in the pics. Roll cage should be here by the end of the week, can't wait to dive into that project.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  207.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  232.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  155.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  243.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  227.9 KB

I feel your pain with th rust. I have been doing some media blasting on my car to see what I have... well lets just say alot of work. I will definately be getting lots of practice. First thing was I had to blast some areas just to find the spot welds. Then others just disappeared when I hit it witht the blaster. All we can do is hammer away at it. Good luck!!!
      Bruce Jeppesen
      "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
      1966 Chevelle
      1978 Ford F-150 4x4
      1930 Model

Nice progress. Where did you source the side cowl panels? Top cowl? My Camaro is stalled at the same point. Both side cowls off and top needs replacing. I like the LY6. Same engine as mine. You started with ALOT NICER car though. LOL.

Keep up the great work.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1367 View Post
      Nice progress. Where did you source the side cowl panels? Top cowl? My Camaro is stalled at the same point. Both side cowls off and top needs replacing. I like the LY6. Same engine as mine. You started with ALOT NICER car though. LOL.

Keep up the great work.!!!
      Thanks, the upper cowl I got from summit, OER part #K842, $159.97. The drivers side outer cowl panel I got from classic industries part #B1073L, $58.99, fitment is really nice. Summit just dropped the price on the upper cowl panel, I think I paid around $175.

What are you doing with your LY6? Keeping the vvt? If so, what controller and cam are you going to use?

Found some time to start on my roll cage. I ordered a 10 point from auto weld chassis, 1 3/4" x .120" DOM. So far, fit looks pretty tight. The main hoop is wide enough I had to make a floor brace that would incorporate the floor and rocker. I wasted a bunch of metal trying to make multiple bends in one piece, they worked...but not perfect. So I made a two piece, the top/rocker bracket sits on top of the floor plate. The hoop will be notched, it will have 1 1/4" on top of the rocker, 1/2" on the floor plate. I'm planning on adding some gussets from the floor plate to the rocker bracket for some added strength. Does anybody know if I'm breaking any roll cage no no rules by doing it this way.
Views: 1245
Size:  225.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  156.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  171.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  245.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  210.1 KB

My 10-bolt cage is currently a 4-bolt tacked into place. My halo bar is way too short to work as is. After having it mocked in place, not sure I want a halo bar now. I'll get another one bent and see. Here's some pics of how I'm sitting now.
Views: 1169
Size:  207.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  215.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  199.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  206.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  210.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  215.9 KB
Views: 1154
Size:  143.6 KB

I was able to get my daughter to double check some of my measuring. I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of my 3 yr old son...he was mad because i wouldn't let him run the pipe notcher. This is how he felt all day today...

Size:  378.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MTZ28 View Post

What are you doing with your LY6? Keeping the vvt? If so, what controller and cam are you going to use?
      Keeping it stock for now. BUT with car intake and 90mm TB. I am running the OEM '08 Silverado HD ECM. I had Speartech build me a harness with a trans module. They also retuned the normal stuff to the ECM for standalone use. I will use the stock VVT cam for a while then probably have Patrick G (LS1tech member) spec a new VVT cam. He has had good success with them and really good success w/ LS3 heads. He really knows the timing events rect. port heads like.

The pic w/ your daughter is adorable. Keep up the great work!!!

The picture of your apprentice is priceless. Thats a keeper for sure. Sorry to hear the poor liitle man didnt get to run the notcher but his time will come. Of course at that age 5 minutes is longer than eternity. Roll bar is looking great. It doesnt look like there is any room for the halo bar for sure. Have you tlaked to the guys at Mast Motorsports about your engine? They told me some things about the vvt engine you might want to talk to them about. I talked to Damon in the tech dept. Great group of guys there. Might be worth a call.
      Bruce Jeppesen
      "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
      1966 Chevelle
      1978 Ford F-150 4x4
      1930 Model

I haven't abandoned my project, been crazy busy this summer with my business. Parts are starting to roll on in, hopefully have some updates coming soon.

Getting some help from my main man, getting the new steering gear installed. I got him some mechanic gloves for shop time, we've had a hard time getting them off. Proud Dad.

Name:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  233.5 KB

Had a future project fall in my lap.

1957 Buick Roadmaster 4 door hardtop, no rust!

Challenger CL10V3

No updates as far as the camaro goes...but I was able to knock off one of my items on my wish list. Super excited to have a two post lift in my shop. My previous career was an automotive tech, and there was not a day in my shop that I didn't miss having a lift. I went with a Challenger CL10V3 lift, and I couldn't be happier about it. My camaro is definetly moving up in the world...literally. (The wiring is temporary)

Sorry, these are the best pictures in this thread.

I was able to get my daughter to double check some of my measuring.
      I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of my 3 yr old son...he was mad because i wouldn't let him run the pipe notcher. This is how he felt all day today...

Size:  378.9 KB

Getting some help from my main man, getting the new steering gear installed. I got him some mechanic gloves for shop time, we've had a hard time getting them off. Proud Dad.

marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      Sorry, these are the best pictures in this thread.
      Sorry???....... Best compliment I've received on this forum, thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com