Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by medbali76 View Post
      Years later, I'm still drawn to your fender and quarter modifications - so well done! Can you describe the process on the front fenders? It looks like you cut along the top of the fender and added a curved strip there to create the top view width/profile. Did you then take the original sides of the fenders and stretch/bulge them on an English wheel, before finally fabricating new fender openings/arches/flares?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Country Flag: England
      Thanks for the compliment. And yes, it's been years!!!

To be honest, I can't take credit for the fabrication, but my talented builder, Mark followed my sketches, used his nous and worked with the wheel/tyre size and drop we were planning. Once the fenders were cut to accommodate the wheel, we cut strips of cardboard, curved them til they looked just right, trimmed and shaved them and stuck them to the car with masking tape til they looked right. This gave him a template to cut from sheet steel. This was then bent by hand around an old oil drum that was in the corner of the workshop, and tack-welded into place for final fit and positioning.

No CAD, no English Wheel (even though we're English!) just flat steel and a nice radius. Same with the back.

Thank you for the reply! I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around what you described vs the photos, so I tried color coding things using one of your photos. It looks to me like the top of the fender was widened (as shown in green) and perhaps the original fender (shown in blue) was re-grafted onto it, then new fender arches (pink) were welded on. Did I break it down correctly? Which part of the fender was new sheet metal bent around an oil drum in the shop?

Name:  frodo widening.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  130.6 KB

Country Flag: England
      Ah. Some confusion here... There must be Forum gremlins at work. That's not my car!!!

I did wonder why your comment appeared on that thread.

This is my car. The description will now make sense, but will obviously be of absolutely no help at all. Sorry :(

Name:  IMG_1560.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  283.6 KB

Country Flag: Hungary
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      Years later, I'm still drawn to your fender and quarter modifications - so well done! Can you describe the process on the front fenders? It looks like you cut along the top of the fender and added a curved strip there to create the top view width/profile. Did you then take the original sides of the fenders and stretch/bulge them on an English wheel, before finally fabricating new fender openings/arches/flares?
      These body mods were done by a professional bodyshop. They had a lot of work on the car. Funny but most of the mods are not even visible unless I park next to an original Nova. I wanted more stockish appearance but I could not find here in Hungary any company who could do the bumper rechroming so that is why they were painted black . I have pics of the building process.
      If you PM me your email address I can send those pics

Thank you for the offer - PM sent! I would love to see more of the build process! I found a few photos on the Facebook page for Simon Coachworks and Oldtimer Restoration, but they didn't show much of the front fenders. I could tell what was reused from the original fender vs. made from scratch.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com