Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

rear coil over set up and clearance

Hello guys.i have some questions.i am in middle of making some rear coilover brackets for my chevelle,i have 7.00 stroke afco shocks 14" comp-21" ext. Car is set at a lower right height based off the 2.00 drop spring i have on there.Now from what i got from the tech at afco was.Set car at ride height and set shock with 3.5 inches of shock shaft showing and to run a 14" spring...but when i measure the upper spring cone surface to the lower spring nut(adjusted all the way to the bottom of the shock body it looks like i really need 12" springs,not 14"?On another note,ive uploaded a few pics of the shock at its full compression and ihave about 3/8 clearance between the spring and the axle tube.Is that enough room?btw the spring in the pic is a 10" just for mock up.Thank you for any help.

Attached Images Attached Images        
      72 chevelle.

3/8" clearance at full compression shouldn't be a problem. You should have more clearance when it's not fully compressed, due to how the axle rotates. Just make sure the brake line is securely out of the way.

You'd probably be fine running a 12" spring. It'll allow you to go a bit lower before you get to the bottom of the threads on the shock body.
      1969 El Camino

The brake lines will be relocated now that the stock coil spring will be removed.
      I would like to run a 5" stroke shock but this is what i have right now and new shocks are not in the budget at this time.
      72 chevelle.

I have the same 3/8 clearance without any issues. I am running QA1 coil overs and have 12" springs. I want my car lower but find there isn't enough room between the floor and the top of the rear end above the pumpkin to get it as low as I want it. I am not willing to cut the floors for clearance so I guess I'm stuck where I am.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

A few pics of the bracket i made and the upper double shear mounting.
      I set the stance i wanted with the 2" lower stock springs.btw hodrod47
      The 3/8 clearance you have,is that at ride height?
      Phil
      72 chevelle.

Are those the 10" springs installed? If so, looks like 12" will work well. What spring rate are you looking at?
      1969 El Camino

Yes,that's a 10" spring.
      It's a single #550 I got off of eBay awhile back.
      I'm getting a pair of 12" #225 hyperco springs from an eBay seller.
      72 chevelle.

Quick question, I have a 70 El Camino with the Viking coil overs. Because I have a Dana S-60 rear my lower brackets won't work. Where did you get your lower brackets from.

Thanks Pete

Pete,i made them from 1/4 wall 3.5x3.5 sq tube for the ones the shock mounts to,the inside bracket is 4.00x2.00 rect. Tube. The two get welded together but are bolt on.
      72 chevelle.

Heres a update on the brackets
      Shotpeened at work,and ready for paint.
      I changed the upper mount to be moved back from the centerline of the tbar location and added the bent tab that mounts to the frame gusset.
      I might start making these as kits for oem 12bolts with an upper frame brace,.
      The parts will be waterjet cut and bent on a press brake instead of being made out of tube.
      Only if i can get the min of five sets. two setups for the lowers.one for the upper plus the tabs,still need to iron out the design for the upper brace also the water jet lady is kindy mean!
      72 chevelle.

Redid the lower bracket last month.
      Shortened the lower bracket,and figured out the bracket shouldn't be at 90°,but have the same angle as the shock mount on the factory 12 bolt,and be in the same plane as the diff tubes.
      This way the shock isn't cocked to one side.
      72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com