Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

6.0 LQ9 with FAST EZ-EFI , wanting to add turbo....

Hello, Im very new to the world of turbos, and im doing as much research as i possibly can on the subject while i start buying parts. Im a TIG welder and fabricator by profession, so i want to tackle all the "work" of the installation on my own, im very confident on my ability to be able to handle this part of the project, but i am somewhat lost on a few other things, and im looking for some guidence.

I have a 6.0 LQ9 , with the FAST EZ-EFI kit installed. PRC 215 13.5* Full CNC Heads, Custom EPS 226-230 598-600 111 +4 High Torque Cam, MSD 6010 and Performer RPM Intake. I have a Extreme Automatics 200-4r Stage1 , and 3200 RevMax 9.5" Lockup converter. Right now the car runs and drives great, and i have fun with it. I want to turbo the car, or possibly twin turbo the car, and im wondering what else i will need to upgrade for my fuel delivery, and motor build to handle the additional power.

And, on the topic of the additional power, im not looking for engine wrecking boost, but i want to have fun with it. I dont want to push the motor too hard and be needing to work on it constantly, i would like a reliable amount, but fun to mash the pedal, amount of boost. How much is too much for my motor internals, and what is the safe amount?

I plan to piece the kit together and make all my own headers for the job as well as all the hot and cold side piping.

I do appreciate all the help and info, and im very sorry if this is comes off as a dumbass post lol, but im just trying to learn.

Thanks

Here is the car in question!

Attached Images Attached Images  

EZ EFI (the original version) is not compatible with boost.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Very nice car! Someone else may chime in, but I'm pretty sure that the EZ-EFI doesn not support turbo or superchargers, only nitrous.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Well, that will put a damper to my plans. Stopped before I even got started, darn!

Sell the FAST and look into FITech? I've been reading good things about them and they can be bought off the shelf boost ready.

Yea, I wonder what all would be involved in taking this motor back to a LS2?

Arg, this just kind stopped me in my tracks, im not sure i want to dump another 2k+ after the turbo and the upgrades just to be able to have a turbo. Dang.

You could sell the FAST EFI and buy an FITech unit that's made for boost and be out no money. FItech units are only $1095.

Why not go back with the factory gm setup?

Simple Parts List would be:
      Different EFI Setup - My$.02 Holley HP EFI, or the new Stealth EFI ($995.00)
      Camshaft/Spring Kit
      BOV
      WG
      Convertor Restall may be necessary as well

Country Flag: Austria
      been there also....lq4 built for boost but wanted to go NA first. bought me a EZ-EFI but then found a cheap procharger and had to sell the EZ-EFI. Went now with a Holley HP EFI but had also to switch the intake because of the missing fuel rails. The switch came up with some extra costs like map sensors etc. but one of the cheapest/effective options i had. There´s alternative like the EZ-efi 2 but lots of people had problems with that. Just a hint...i was checking out the new Sniper EFI from Holley at SEMA and asked the tech guy about the boost ability and it does.....if it came out earlier i would have definitely taken that thing into mind because it has a killer price, clean setup with just 4 wires. maybe nothing for tuning freaks but for a slap on it seems to be the best option now. maybe some guys have more info on that because it is designed for carb engines and i´m not sure how it will integrate with the crank trigger/coils stuff of a LS

69 camaro, 418cui p1sc1, ridetech,forgeline, and some more money wasted

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com