Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

68 Camaro body Jig

Would appreciate having input on the fabrication of a 68 Camaro body jig which will be used during the rust repair phase of a build.

I've seen a couple of example projects but the specifications don't seem to add up or agree with what I've seen in the fisher body manual for a 68. Perhaps my source is in error? At any rate, the general idea is to construct a movable (rolling) jig that will support the shell at the factory reference points. It would be helpful if any of yall could post some info on your jig i.e. photos or diagrams.

Though I may not 'need' this jig it would be a great way to freshen up my welding skills so it's a win/win in that I'll have something useful and I'll brush up on some unused skills.

Thanks!

This was posted in the Paint/Body forum a few weeks back.

http://www.firstgenjigs.com/

Thanks for that. I'd not seen that site yet.

Ideally, I'd like to construct the jig myself using the measurements from the Fisher manual (hoping to avoid spending extra bucks) however I've heard that there are some measurement discrepancies and so I'm not sure what authoritative source to use for correct measurements for a 68 Camaro.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

thanks again!

I am not very good at documenting my thought process in the things that I build. I didn't really take enough pictures of the jig I made. but here are a couple, maybe you can get some ideas from them.
      Name:  Mikes Camaro 024.jpg
Views: 5666
Size:  218.8 KB
      I made the Pins for the pin holes adjustable in case I didn't weld the uprights perfectly. After I had it together, I used trammel points and a tape measure to square everything up. I put center points in the pins when I turned them. The measurements in the Fisher body manual didn't work out for me. Just going by memory, I seemed like using their dimensions that nothing was square. I double checked my measurements off of an unmolested Camaro that was still in one piece. I can't tell you what the dimensions were, just that they were definitely square to each other.
      Name:  Mikes Camaro 023.jpg
Views: 3661
Size:  231.4 KB
      I made the front pins adjustable up and down enough that I could use the jig with or without the sub-frame.
      Name:  100_0031.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  211.6 KB
      I do remember the dimension on the rocker flange being 48" outside to outside. Good luck.
      Mike South
      1968 Camaro SS/RS LS1/T56
      Ride Tech Tru Turn, Ride Tech T/Q Coil-overs
      Ride Tech 4-link

I have used a Jig we made in the past but lately we have been using the DR. Jig by JD2, it gives a good platform to start with, you still have to build your jig on top of it but it saves a lot of time. For us it works well because we can use it on any project we may have.

Good info...thanks again yall!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com