Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

How much should I drop the front and/or rear?

I need some help to dial in the stance on my 67 Lemans. I have 18" wheels and the gap makes it look a little off. I think that I have enough offset on my wheels but I'm not sure how much I can lower the front before they rub when turning. I would use lowering springs or cut the coils to accomplish this.

Should I....

Drop the back 1" and the front 2"
      Leave the back and drop the front 1"
      Drop the front1" and back 1"
      ???

Thanks.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

it looks really good in those pics. i dont see any proportions with the wheels and wheel wells that are distracting. if you want it lower thats a personal taste choice.
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-3856-140

This kit gives you 1 inch all around and would be a pretty quick mod.
      Jim S.
      67 RS
      "driver "

What size tires are you running?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

275/40r18 rears and 245/45r18 fronts. I went with 45's in the front to keep the sidewall the same as the rears, but maybe that is what I am not liking. I think a 1" drop all around with a 40 series tire on the front might look better.

Another angle

Your tires should never rub anywhere in the travel at any steering angle. If they rub a little on smooth surfaces when the suspension is compressed to the bump stop at full lock it is probably ok.

Personally I would jack the car up, remove the springs and cycle the suspension and steer lock to lock. Then you will know exactly what clearance/rubbing issues you are dealing with and can make an educated decision on ride height.

I spent many hours rolling cutting and pulling my fenders to get tire clearance, but this was on an unpainted car. It looks like you have a killer paint job so you will need to decide how far to go.

Drop 1 inch all around.
      1969 El Camino

I run the same 245/45-18 and 275/40-18's on a big car and I say drop it 3 inches or so if you can.

Name:  20150726_070552.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  170.2 KB
      Steve - 1970 Roadrunner

"Drop the back 1" and the front 2""

I'd agree to this one. It needs a bit of a rake, I think. Be careful with drop springs, read up on feedback on Summit and such, as many times the advertised drop is not what you get, like 1" might actually be 2", and so forth.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Thanks for the responses. I will pull the front springs to make sure that there is no rubbage and then maybe go 1" in the back and cut 1 or 2" off the front. I guess it's a crap shoot on the springs since it's hard to know how much my old springs have sagged in comparison to the advertised drop from factory new. That is one bad roadrunner but maybe too aggressive for me. I still encounter the occasional speed bump on my trip to the hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      "Drop the back 1" and the front 2""

I'd agree to this one. It needs a bit of a rake, I think. Be careful with drop springs, read up on feedback on Summit and such, as many times the advertised drop is not what you get, like 1" might actually be 2", and so forth.
      Advertised Drops are always approximates - a lot of variables. Also to consider, original Springs are bound to be sagging and if the springs were replaced before (as most have been), what were they replaced with?

I like where it sits right now, and the 40 series-rear/45 series-front looks good to me too. You have some more room in the rear wheel wells, you could go with a little wider tire in the back for a more aggressive look.
      Last edited by cdrod; 09-17-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Here is the SC&C SPC springs that are supposedly a 1" drop. Wheels and tires are 18x8 5" BS 245/45/18 in front. 265/50/18 on an 18x9 5.75" BS in the rear

-Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

That looks perfect. Looks like the wheel well lip is about half way down the rubber which for me is about 2". It's hard to tell from the pics so is that about where it sits? I will probably go with 1" just so it's not too low. Thanks.

Probably a little late but I lowered a 67 Chevelle a while back. I bought 2" lowering springs from CPP and it dropped the car one inch on all fours. That is how worn the stock springs were!

17x8 with 255/50

here is my 7 Chevelle 1." spindles on the front and stock rears 17" wheels.

Here is my 67 Chevelle with 1.5" spindles in the front and stock springs in the rear. I ma going to drop the rear another inch off so but want to wait as the interior is gutted and no glass. 17" wheels.

Here are some pics of the installed BMR 2" drop springs front and rear. I forgot to take some before and after measurements, but it feels like it dropped alot more than 2". It is also leaning badly to one side so I may need to look for some shims to make it consistant. The rear leans about .75" toward the drivers side and front leans about 1" toward the drivers side. The rear tires clear but only because I had worked over the wheel wells with a BFH before paint. The front wheels rubbed badly so I had to put on my rollers which do clear. Now need to buy new 18x7 front rims and some new rubber that is the same size as the 205/65/15 rollers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com