Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

tko 600 carbon fiber synchros upgrade

Wanting to improve 2-3 shift at 4000 or greater rpm, and interested in carbon fiber synchros. From what I've read on Internet sounds like a good idea. Looking at Anaheim gear and Hanlon Motorsports. Any thoughts on this upgrade?
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

The CF synchros and brass shift fork pads are a great improvement for high RPM shifting but a lot of 2nd to 3rd shift issues on a TKO or Magnum are created by shift technique. You can't shift these (5 or 6 speeds) like you do a 4 speed. Coming out of 2nd with a 4 speed you're pushing to the right and forward so you don't go back into 1st. This works fine because there's no gate for 5th, reverse or 6th. on that transmission. With a 5 or 6 speed there is a hole in the 3-4 gate that if pushing to the right will get you caught in the gate missing the shift. Before you go spending more money on the TKO try just putting the palm of your hand on the back of the shift knob and push forward. Let the bias springs in the transmission and shifter center the stick in the 3-4 gate by itself. Do this at lower RPM until you trust the shifter will go into 3rd. You may find a second to third shift on a TKO works much better this way. If not, shifting issues above 6500 RPM will be better with the CF synchros and brass fork pads. Anaheim Gear can do this for you.

That's bull**** , and people should be told about these issues before they buy this transmission ! Can you tell mine doesn't shift ???? Buy the Trans with these upgrades already done ! I have to dump more money into my TKO 600 which has under 1000 miles on it. It's going to LIBERTY gear this winter. I'm so pissed.

what is the cost of the LIBERTY upgrades , i would like to send my " POS "TKO

I'm not having any problem with my TKO600 and I have never missed a shift. It works just fine. I just hope that this tranny is stout enough to hold the power without breaking. That is my only worry.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

i have not broken any parts yet, my 565 makes 688hp and 700 TQ but the higher RPM shifts are a pain

I decided to send to Hanlon Motorsports and go with carbon fiber synchros. Shipped the trams there and got it back around 2wks. Also went with the pro 5.0 shifter. I have the trans installed but not on the road yet, playing with my fuel system, going efi. Hoping the synschros help. I was heavily debating moving in to t56.
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Shifting problems has more to do with bellhousing alignment and shifting method. I had shifting problems behind my 350, no problems behind my LS shifting at nearly 7000rpms. I took more time checkng run out on the LS. When I blew the clutch, I had carbon fiber synchros installed. No change that I could tell.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I have a Silver Sport TKO600 with the carbon upgrades and have never missed a 2-3 shift at 6,500 rpm (except when the shifter bolt backed out and I punched the radio...) My TKO shifts as good as, or better than, my T56 Magnum.

I don't think my TKO600 has the carbon fiber syncros. But, it does have the Sidewinder II shifter option and I believe that may be why I do not have a problem at the higher end when shifting and the fact that I am pushing the shifter straight up with my palm of hand not like when we did the old Hurst Competition Plus shifter on a 4 speed.

--
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by GMJim@HDC View Post
      The CF synchros and brass shift fork pads are a great improvement for high RPM shifting but a lot of 2nd to 3rd shift issues on a TKO or Magnum are created by shift technique. You can't shift these (5 or 6 speeds) like you do a 4 speed. Coming out of 2nd with a 4 speed you're pushing to the right and forward so you don't go back into 1st. This works fine because there's no gate for 5th, reverse or 6th. on that transmission. With a 5 or 6 speed there is a hole in the 3-4 gate that if pushing to the right will get you caught in the gate missing the shift. Before you go spending more money on the TKO try just putting the palm of your hand on the back of the shift knob and push forward. Let the bias springs in the transmission and shifter center the stick in the 3-4 gate by itself. Do this at lower RPM until you trust the shifter will go into 3rd. You may find a second to third shift on a TKO works much better this way. If not, shifting issues above 6500 RPM will be better with the CF synchros and brass fork pads. Anaheim Gear can do this for you.

I Agree with this
      George
      `67 Buick GS 400 Hdtp,494ci Stage 2 BBB,5-speed TKO-600,"The Black Widow"

I have tko 600 and i never had a problem .... and i agree with GMJim

We have a TKO600 with Bowler Stage 2 upgrades. It works very nicely and shifts reliably up to about 6500. Mark told us when we bought it about the occasional tough shifting but so far, nothing. Smooth as silk.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com