Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: ls9 dry sump

Country Flag: United States

ls9 dry sump

looking for input on my ls9. what are the pros and cons of staying with the dry sump or switching it back to wet sump. I pulled it from a donor car, and I will need to buy the oil tank and one line that runs back to the pan. then clutter up my engine bay with the tank. trying to decide on buying the parts I need or just switching it back....thoughts?

What are your objectives for the car? Street cruiser? Autocross? Drag racing? Road course?

What kind of car is it?
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

They suck if your not going to flog it.

Send it to me I'll send you my ERod LS3 pan (corvette?) :^)

Im going to run it hard..spending a ton on suspension and brakes. Ive just seen where guys comvert them back to wet and seen "wet" motors converted to dry sump..looking for the benefits either way and how it will impact my.car. planming lots of autocross..maybe a trip to putnam park...

67 firebird.. dse rear...no limit sniper front,ls9 t56 zr1 brakes

If you're not spending a lot of time on a road course, converting it to a wet sump is a good idea. Reduces complexity, and will work fine. Auto crossing and "flogging" it on the street don't require a dry sump system. The other thing to know is that the factory dry sump requires an upgrade for serious use on a road course anyway.

You should consider a quality engine oil cooler (EOC) because the LS9 makes a lot of heat, and the reduced oil capacity of the wet sump might not be up to the task.
      John Parsons

I think the oem dry sump system is for ground clearance not oil control.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
      I think the oem dry sump system is for ground clearance not oil control.
      That I believe.
      John Parsons

ive done a little research and it looks like you have to change the pan, oil pump, front balancer, and buy a spacer for the crankshaft.. anyone have any input on this? Ive got to look into it a little more but the snag for me may be the crank pulley and balancer, ive already bought an LPE 14% pulley. Seems like any option for the dry sump tank is about as much money as the whole wet sump switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones
      ive done a little research and it looks like you have to change the pan, oil pump, front balancer, and buy a spacer for the crankshaft.. anyone have any input on this? Ive got to look into it a little more but the snag for me may be the crank pulley and balancer, ive already bought an LPE 14% pulley. Seems like any option for the dry sump tank is about as much money as the whole wet sump switch.
      Sounds right. Is this a budget thing? Or a packaging thing?
      John Parsons

well, when building a car using lots of "high end" components, I think the term "budget" is used pretty loosely. I guess my thoughts were, can I convert it back to wet sump cheaper than buying the components I need or should I just buy the few dry sump components that are damaged and go on, not having the tank under the hood would "clean up the underhood with the maze of hoses that's already going to be there. but I do have room for it. the bigger of the two oe tanks is bad (the one with the plastic lid) and one hose that runs back to the pan. anyone have those lying around?

Country Flag: Canada
      I've not looked at the stock stuff much but is there some reason it couldn't be adapted to a standard dry sump tank? There's a billion of them on ebay and they're usually pretty cheap.

any of the sponsors on here a Peterson dealer? they have a nice ls7 tank, with lines and a pan adapter .

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com