Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

hydroboost, still getting power steering scream at startup...

I've read this "Hoses must not touch any other part of vehicle. Steering system noise could be causedby the hose touching the frame, body, or engine."

And I'm not quite understanding how this could be so. My hoses do run across my inner fender well, but not sure if this could possibly be the cause. Last 2 events starting up the car was quite embarrassing as it takes a bit for the scream to stop. I don't hear any noises when driving, but if the car is cool it def screals on startup.

So is that a legit concern if hoses are touching anything?

Thanks
      Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Sounds like you have a belt slipping. Are you running V belts?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

i doubt that its screetching from hoses touching anything, if the hoses were kinked as a result than that could cause an issue, but i'd look at the belt or the PS pump, make sure your output is correct for your car. do you have a T in the return side?

Thanks guys

Sorry to reply so late. I always ask and then put my head under the hood some more. Sooo I'm running a standard belt, nothing fancy. It was slipping on initial install, but I tightened it up, but it was still screaming on startup.

So I flushed all the fluid, I was using Dextron ATF as when I installed it (what a few weeks back??) I read that it was an okay thing to use, helped with foaming etc. So I flushed all that out with a Lubegard 97209 Power Steering 2-Step System Pack, flushed and added a conditioner. Now I also "loosened up" my belt just a tad, as I could hardly move it when pushing my fingers down, and that appeared to be too tight.

So I've started it 4 times now after flushing, burping , running the car etc. So far no screach, but I'm not calling it a victory yet. Maybe it was the Dextron ATF , or maybe it was the belt being too tight (I'm bad at changing multiple things at once!)

Thanks!

Will update after I start it and drive it a few times

Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Curious...

And? What's the follow up?

The LubeGard PS fluid has really gotten my attention lately, knocking the crown off of the Redline I have been typically reaching for...

Lubegard Universal Power Steering Fluid is a premium formulation, compatible with all power and power-assisted steering units, including Honda applications. The power steering fluids are hydraulic fluids that are intermittently pressurized by a high shear, high friction pump and used in a high shear turbine motor to aid in turning a car's steering wheel. Since the fluid is subjected to hard, long-term use without regular changing intervals, it is critically important to provide extra anti-wear, anti-friction and anti-corrosion components as well as oxidation stability and a high flash point for fire protection. The power steering fluid is not interchangeable with automatic transmission fluids (ATF) because ATF does not have the anti-wear protection or shear stability needed to protect the power steering pump. Lubegard's universal power steering fluid is specifically formulated for power steering systems and is useful in hot and cold weather environments. The top quality base oils plus a full complement of performance additives provide excellent viscosity characteristics, shear stability, rust and corrosion protection, seal integrity and detergency. The patented LXE (liquid wax ester) derivatives provide the extra friction and wear protection, oxidation stability, and heat rejection. The flash point of Lubegard is equal to that of motor oils (above 475 degrees fahrenheit) and higher than that of ATF fluids.
      There IS a difference - Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

Paul M. Clark
      Founder / Master Engineer

Hydratech Braking Systems ®
      www.hydratechbraking.com

I had never heard of using ATF in place of Power Steering fluid, is this something new?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

i use Royal Purple PS fluid in my setup and it works great, i've never run ATF in a PS setup before.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/FAQ.html

Q: What type of fluid should I use with my power steering system. I have been told the automatic transmission fluid (ATF ) can be used?

A: OEM fluids from the dealer are the absolute best. You can use any type of commercially available power steering fluid that meets the specifications of your vehicle. You should not use any type of ATF as it may foam excessively when it gets warm. Please also be very careful not to accidentally use the wrong fluid in either the brake or the power steering systems as substantial systems damages will occur!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com