Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

alternator bracket

Sbc 400 with stock pulley locations I'm looking for but can't find a alternator bracket to go with them for the upper passenger side. Afr Head and Headman headers. Anything would help thanks
      Trevor

Long water pump or short? I switched to a long pump and moved the alternator to the passenger side. I first went with a V-belt system but did not like the v-belts so I switched to a March serpentine setup and have been much happier. Here is the drive setup I used which is pretty reasonably priced.

http://marchperformance.com/chevy/ch...unt-ultra.html
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

alternator bracket

Short water pump

The reason you are having a problem finding an alternator bracket for the passenger side is because with a short water pump Chevy always mounted the alternator on the driver side exhaust manifold and the aftermarket has pretty much continued that configuration. Starting with the 69 model year, GM changed to a long pump and moved the alternator to the passenger side. I am not aware of any short pump SBC factory application that mounted the alternator on the passenger side. In order to mount the alternator on the passenger side of a SBC with a short pump, you will probably need to fabricate a bracket.

Is this SBC in your 67 Firebird? If so, I think a better solution would be to switch to a long pump which will then allow you to use the factory 69 Camaro v-belt pulleys and brackets or even better use the March serpentine pulley kit. The long pump moves the pulleys forward from the block which allows the alternator to be positioned in front of the head instead of off to the side on top of the header. With the alternator and PS closer to the crank center line, the belts are shorter which reduces the chance of throwing a belt.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

alternator bracket

Thanks for the info probably going to fab a bracket to work. Don't really want to spend the money on a March setup. Thanks

They have some bracket here that will work: http://alangrovecomponents.com/Small...Short_Pump.htm

They will put the alternator outboard of the valve cover so it can be back far enough to line up with the pulleys.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

alternator bracket

Thanks for the info

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com