Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Loaded Question: Tire Brands and recomendation please

I've noticed the "heavy hitters" run a lot of Falken tires ( optima Ultimate Street Car) , the local guys near me seem to favor the Bridgstone RE71 is this due to sponsorship or is the Falken tire that much faster?

Of course I'm looking for recommendation,
      My 68 Mustang is heavy at 3600 with me in it, I run on mostly asphalt courses with air temps from nice 70's to not so nice low 100's , time on course less than 1 minute, 5 to 6 runs per event. I haven't noticed anybody changing tires hot to cold but I do see spray bottles between runs.
      I've run 6 events with NITTO 555 300tw and I'm ready for a change.

In my area, the new Rival S and the RE71s are the hot ticket depending on which come in your size. For me, it will be RE71s for my next set since they have my preferred sizes.
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

Since many events are 200tw, tire choice's at larger sizes are limited. I jumped on the 315/30/18 all four corner bandwagon which now gives me only two choices in tire brands. (Falken/BFG)

Coming off of 2yr old Toyo R888's (275front, 335rear), I purchased a set of 315/30/18 Falken Azenis RT615's. I was worried about going down a size in the rear, but I must say that they stick very well. Much better then my old 335/30/18's R888's. I'm sure that won't be the case with a new set of R888's. Aside from traction, I noticed a massive increased drive comfort in the Falken. That maybe due to the fact the Falken's are nearly 10lbs a tire heavier then the R888's. Man are they heavy!

I do want to purchase a new set of R888's (315/30/18 front, 335/30/18rear) for those non treadwear regulated events and save the more expensive Falken's.

I wanted to try the BFG Rival S, but at the time I was purchasing, I found that they are a TireRack exclusive and were on backorder. BFG losing out!
      Ron DeRaad
      68 Camaro RSx
      Darton Sleeved LS9 - 434ci (4.155x4.00)
      AFR LSX245 Heads (12:1cr)
      660hp/588tq

I'm way down the food chain in tire size , I'm looking at 225/45 , 235/45/40 , or in my dreams 245/45 17's for my first set of sticky 200tw tires. I'm going to run the same size all around even though I'm not going to like the "look" from the back. I currently have 225/45 18's on the front and 255/45 18 rear. I dont need the 18's to clear my brakes (and I'm no fan of the wheels on the car now) so I'm going with a 17X8 Torque Thrust all around. I do need a 17 for brake clearance.

Yep, you have many more tire options with the smaller sizes, but when you were talking about "heavy hitters" using Falken's, what I stated previously are big reasons why. Not to mention the huge manufacture sponsership stickers on the side of some cars. lol
      Ron DeRaad
      68 Camaro RSx
      660hp/588tq

Thanks RSX302 , so if the size was available would the big sticker be worth more than the ultimate lap time? Nobody is going to give me any tires in the foreseeable future regardless of the size of the stickers.lol

I will be racing against a set of RE71's , I'm 2.5-3sec behind them now (one car 2 drivers) but I'm leading the points because I've run more events. They changed from ESP to CAM-T to cherry pick me,lol. We have had 5 cars at 2 events and I am quicker than the part timers.

Not sure if you've seen this older test. Results at 9:27 into the vid. Dunlop seems to be a top tire.
      http://youtu.be/yfVC2qOJ_lU
      Ron DeRaad
      68 Camaro RSx
      660hp/588tq

I have r888's as well and love them.

Bumping my own thread.
      I went with Bridgestone RE71r's 235/45 17 front 245/45 17 rear , the height's are so close ,next time I'll do the 245's all around.
      Now for how they feel compared to the Nitto 555 I had , holly smokes I lost 200hp ! No more tire spin at 50mph in 4th gear. Instead of just spinning now the car hooks and hikes the front up and drops the rear, oh the pull....! Just driving at street speeds suddenly the seats seem useless,I'll be pulling that belt extra tight on the 26th at the next meet!
      I can see myself moving up closer to the quick guys , I cant wait!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com