Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

what rear setup recommendation

69 camaro.
      ok my stock 8.2 rear is done. i am looking to upgrade and do it once. i am only running a 500 hp ls motor and t56 trans. i would like to switch to something that has the big bearing ends with taper bearings or c6 end to help with brake knock back. looking at rears at what point do you need the higher spline count? i would like to not add more weight to the rear then i need. i see options for gun drilling, star flange, and lighting holes. at what point is any of that suggested? car will be a dd and some auto cross. would like to put it on a track one day also. also would you go 12 bolt or 9 ?

Thanks
      1970 Elcamino ls3/t56, ricks/vaporworx, sc&c afx ,forgeline zx3, kore3 z51/ls1
      1969 Camaro ls1/t56, ricks/vaporworx, ride-tech,forgeline ga3,
      1996 civic the car that makes it all possible

what rear setup recommendation

With your hp level you may be able to get away with some of those options, but removing material takes away strength.
      We use 31 spline floater axles up to 1000hp street cars. Drag race applications or really high hp is when I recommend more splines.

Have you thought about going with a floater instead? Tapered bearings will help but the bearing is still retained by a press-on sleeve which can move under high lateral loads.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

dale thanks for the reply.
      i was not sure if going much larger on the splines for a street car would be that beneficial. i have looked at some floater's as a option but think they are probably over kill for me. if i was tracking it alot that would be the way to go. and most dont have a parking brake setup for them. i didnt think about the tapered bearings moving. i have never heard of it happening before. any thoughts on aluminum housings and 3rd members?

Quote Originally Posted by rallystyle View Post
      69 camaro.
      ok my stock 8.2 rear is done. i am looking to upgrade and do it once. i am only running a 500 hp ls motor and t56 trans. i would like to switch to something that has the big bearing ends with taper bearings or c6 end to help with brake knock back. looking at rears at what point do you need the higher spline count? i would like to not add more weight to the rear then i need. i see options for gun drilling, star flange, and lighting holes. at what point is any of that suggested? car will be a dd and some auto cross. would like to put it on a track one day also. also would you go 12 bolt or 9 ?

Thanks
      you had brake knock back? that is because the rear end was sloppy, install a new posi, and new axles and bearings and the knock will go away.....my car was the same way when it was a Peg-Leg Racer, and all I did was a rebuild with posi,axles, bearings and BAM no knock

I would look at the Baer floater setup that MuscleRodz has listed in the "for sale" section. Dale helped me when I sourced mine recently and the big reason is the parking brake setup.

rod
      i didnt have the car running with the ls motor and it had drums at the time. it would not be worth putting money into the 8.2 to fix it. i would need gears, locker, and axles to make it right. ie a full rebuild. i also like the idea of the axle not coming out the the rear if it breaks.

nativefx
      i did see that forsale. the 35 spline would be over kill for me but i will send a message to them.

i did read that dse is selling the c5/c6 ends for axles. i know stelow has been running them on hellfire and if they can live with what i does to them i would be fine.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com