Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Question about fuel cell in Autocross/Road Race

Hey guys. I am in need of some fuel cell selection help.

I have a 1969 camaro that I'm going to run a fuel cell in the back. Currently I have the RCI 30"L x12"W x12"H cell, part number 2191A. It is a little taller than I'd like to be able to fit, so considered going with a more shallow cell.

RCI makes a cell that is 30Lx17Wx7"H (2171A) which would be perfect in dimensions for me, since I could use the compartment that is already fabbed for my 19gal cell. It would give me 5" to drop my floor some to get a little more trunk space and make the mounts I'd like to tie the cell to the frame rails in back. My concern is would the cell be too shallow where it is hurting me more than anything? Neither cell has foam in it but it can be purchased. I'm concerned on a long hard corner the fuel will sling to the slide and starve. The foam would slow the sloshing but I don't know if it'd do anything for helping hold it. The foam may cause an issue with the sending unit but I can build a cage to go around it to keep the foam away. Would this cell work? Or not because of what I mentioned?

RCI also makes a 20gal cell that is 24x20x10 but this is taller than I wanted. It would still be a better option for me to reduce height, but I'd still rather the 30x17x7 if I could make it work. I'm aware there are maybe better, high dollar cells out there, like the Fuel Safe ones, but I can get a 2171A for ~$200 to my door. I already have a new stainless narrowed tank and the new RCI 30x12x12 that I won't be using, so I'd like to get input before I pull the hammer on this one.

Thanks in advance!!
      Nick
      Attached Images Attached Images  

We are comparing $200 cells to $2000? soft ballistic bladder rated cells?. I suspect almost anything might be better then stock, but this conversation is hard to join in with. That being said, the early mustang tanks seemed to sized and shaped ideally for a lot of our intentions, if you haven't checked them out, but there still is that detail about cost.

Surge tank to feed injection pump. Put 1 or 2 transfer pumps in the tank to keep the surge tank full.

Have you considered trying to put the vaporworx internals in that fuel cell? Not sure if it could be done but if so, fuel starvation issues solved.
      Erik

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...without-a-name

Camaro LS2, T56, 12 bolt, C6 Z06 brakes, Rushforth Super Spokes, ATS Spindles
      2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
      We are comparing $200 cells to $2000? soft ballistic bladder rated cells?. I suspect almost anything might be better then stock, but this conversation is hard to join in with. That being said, the early mustang tanks seemed to sized and shaped ideally for a lot of our intentions, if you haven't checked them out, but there still is that detail about cost.
      I'm not trying to compare a $2k cell to a $200 cell. I'm aware there are better, more expensive cells out there for this exact application. I was just wondering if there was feedback on the rci cell I mentioned which is the exact package size I'd need. I'll check out what people have done with the mustang tanks, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty rick View Post
      Surge tank to feed injection pump. Put 1 or 2 transfer pumps in the tank to keep the surge tank full.
      I did a quick search for a surge tank. One of the links that came up was the Radiums FCST setup. Looks like it would be the ticket bit I didn't want to drop quite that much. I'll look more into a surge tank though - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
      Have you considered trying to put the vaporworx internals in that fuel cell? Not sure if it could be done but if so, fuel starvation issues solved.
      Vaporworks internals would be awesome as it looks like it'd be tough to starve them. I'm second guessing this shallow cell idea.

I bought an aluminum fuel tank out of a boat for mine.

you could put a holley hydramat in the cell.
      fitechefi.com sells the fuel commander that is a reasonably priced surge tank

ive seen fuel tank foam brake down and plug up fuel filters.
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant View Post
      you could put a holley hydramat in the cell.
      fitechefi.com sells the fuel commander that is a reasonably priced surge tank

ive seen fuel tank foam brake down and plug up fuel filters.
      That was my biggest fear with foam is just knowing the maintenance that comes along with it, with it needing to be replaced every couple years. The hydramat is interesting, I hadn't seen that product before. And for the price the fitechefi system looks very reasonable. I'm going to look into both today, as both look like options that would be in my budget. Thank you for the help

Another option is the Aeromotive Phantom Fuel System. We used it on out '71 C10 and works great.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      -Mike

The GM fuel modules can be adapted to work in a bladder/cell. There are several things to consider:

1) If one does not want the plastic GM hat, it can be removed and the preload rods adapted to an access plate. A square piece of bar stock with holes to match the downrod spacing will work, and set screws used to hold them in place. Shoot for about 3/4" of preload.

2) Bulkhead connections for the electrical will need to be done just as it would be for any other.

3) Bulkhead connections for fuel, ditto as above. Both should be integrated into the access plate.

4) A 1/8" nylon plate should be installed between the fuel module base and bladder. The bladder is soft and will mold itself into the cavities on the bottom of the reservoir, hence plugging them.

In the above configuration the system is now a true returnless setup, single line to the fuel rail, and fully filtered.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by traut811 View Post
      I...
      I did a quick search for a surge tank. One of the links that came up was the Radiums FCST setup. Looks like it would be the ticket bit I didn't want to drop quite that much. I'll look more into a surge tank though - thank you!
      BC Broncos has a surge tank using a fuel filter as the tank. low pressure supply to the tank, then an inline pressure pump to the injectors. Not a refined as the vaporworx stuff, but I live on a budget

Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com