Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Seat/brackets for a tall guy

I have a 67 firebird. I'm trying to figure out what seats and bracket set up to run. I'm 6ft 3 and don't fit in these cars well but I will make it work one way or another. My dad has a 68 camaro with tilt column and fiery seats and while it's much better than stock it's not quite perfect yet because with a helmet on I would not fit in the car. Any suggestions on some proven combos that work?

thanks
      1969 Camaro under construction.
      1967 firebird. 6.0/t56. Ridetech stage 2. Moser 9 inch. Forgeline wheels.(SOLD)

Country Flag: United States
      I'm your height (more torso than legs for me) and successfully used the Arizen seats with a 1" slider and flat 3/16" plates. With no helmet on I fit fine with no issues. With a helmet on I have to slouch slightly in the seat to clear the headliner.

The advantage to using the plates + sliders are that I was able to move the seat back over 4" from normal which really helps with the leg room too.

I don't think they make the same seats anymore but any seat that uses a peremiter frame with webbing and a cushion (rather than springs) should sit you low enough if you use the slider mounted directly to the plates. It also would of been possible to mount the seat directly to the plates for an additional 1" of clearance if I needed.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Another option would be to go with some Fiero seats. A search will turn up some more info on them but basically they sit 3" lower and recline. I bought 4 off of cl for $150. (Plan on using them in back also minus headrest) Don't have them finished and in the car yet but a good quality reupholstery kit is available through Mr Mikes Fiero that you can do yourself. Hope this helps!

I'm about 6'5" so I know where you're coming from. In my Cutlass I used Corbeau A4 seats with a shaved base on the driver side. I then got Planted brackets and cut/re-welded the legs about 3/4" shorter.

The shaved base DOES make the seat feel different, even thought they claim it doesn't. But I did the Power Tour with them, up to 10 hours a day in the car, and no complaints.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

bringing this back up, I'm 6'8" and wife is 5'2" so is there a bracket that fits me and can still allow enough movement for her to drive as well?
      Brandon

71 El Camino ZZ430/700r4,
      72 Buick Sun Coupe slowly working on LSx/6spd swap
      63 Nova husband and wife daily driver and autocross project

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
      bringing this back up, I'm 6'8" and wife is 5'2" so is there a bracket that fits me and can still allow enough movement for her to drive as well?
      Holy cow, that's a big height difference! Shortest gal I've dated was 5'4".

Anyway, that would be a very tough goal with a manual seat. You'd have to mount the bracket at an angle, higher in the front, so when she slides the seat forward it goes up as well. But then the base of the seat would be at the same angle as the bracket, which you both may or may not find comfortable. You could put spacers (if needed) under the rear of the seat, to level it out a bit. That would in turn reduce how low it's capable of going for you.

What kind of seats are you wanting to run?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com