Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LS swap into '94 Trans-AM

My son has a '94 Trans Am that he's wanting to put a LS motor in. Does anyone have any opinions and suggestions? I bought the car for the 6 speed to put in my Camaro, now he's wanting to fix the car up for himself. He's 19 and there's no talking him out of it. I'm thinking maybe a truck LS what do you guys think? (I believe they're cheaper). Has anyone done this before? We're all ears this is a new one for me. The car has a LT-1 in it now. It's a little rough now but he's determined! Any positive answers accepted . Thanks, Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      My son has a '94 Trans Am that he's wanting to put a LS motor in. Does anyone have any opinions and suggestions? I bought the car for the 6 speed to put in my Camaro, now he's wanting to fix the car up for himself. He's 19 and there's no talking him out of it. I'm thinking maybe a truck LS what do you guys think? (I believe they're cheaper). Has anyone done this before? We're all ears this is a new one for me. The car has a LT-1 in it now. It's a little rough now but he's determined! Any positive answers accepted . Thanks, Carl
      That swap is becoming more popular all the time and there are a couple of different ways to go about it depending on what your end goals are. Swapping out the engine cradle and mounting brackets for the later stock LS1 components has been the most common method to date, but Hooker is releasing swap engine brackets later this month that will let you bolt an LS right onto an existing LT1, 3.4L V6 or 3.8L V6 cradle. Two transmission crossmembers will be released with them that offer a torque arm mount as well, so mounting the truck based LS/4L60 combo you mention will be a piece of cake. You can also install a TH400, 2004R or 4L80 transmission with the same crossmembers, so you'll have many more options available to you than those who have done this swap in the past. I think this swap makes for a fun project.

I hope so. I was thinking we should try to do something with the LT-1, I figure it's not a bad motor, but he's stuck on the LS swap. I will have to look into the Hooker thing. Thanks. Any body else have any pointers..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Easiest option: Find an inexpensive LS1 Fbody to use for a donor car and swap everything into the 94 shell. Higher mileage 98-02 cars can be had relatively cheaply in many areas and would provide everything you will need. With all the hours this will take, it might be quicker and easier to just find a 98-02 car that he likes and buy it instead.

The engine mounts and crossmembers mentioned previously will help but you still need all the electronics, a car intake (truck won't fit under the hood) and the Fbody accessory drive (also to clear the hood). Using a complete donor car provides all of that in addition to the engine and transmission.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

From everyone I've seen do this swap, they pretty much all say they wished they'd found an LS car instead of the swap. Finding the individual components is a nickel and dime nightmare, and the only reasonable way to do it is to find a complete LS1 donor F-body... which at that point you may as well find a good one to keep because the difference between a feasible LS1 donor/good complete LS1 car is miniscule.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

It can be done. I swapped an ls1 into a 94 v6 camaro quite a number of years ago and it was my daily driver. It wasn't that bad to do but there were many pieces that were needed to complete the swap. Crossmember, exhaust, torque arm, fuel pump, engine harness, radiator and fan, modifying the car harness to make the gauges work with the ls1, power steering rack and a number of other items. I scored a super deal on the front subframe from an 02 ss that was wrecked in the back. I got pretty much all my swap stuff from that car for a few hundred bucks (smoking deal). And it helped i had a ls motor laying around for a rainy day. Ofcourse after tearing the car down to start the swap all the suspension bushings needed replacement, needed new ball joints, tie rod ends and other maintenance items. It does add up fast. Here is my advice... if he has never swapped an ls into a vehicle then don't bother. He must have good experience with building electrical harness, suspension and steering repairs if he wants to be successful on the cheap. If yall have to farm any work out to a shop then don't do it at all. Just buy an ls1 fbody to start with.

Good advice from all. I thank you guys, I think were going to keep with the LT motor, although he daily asks "what do you think about the LS motor?" I keep telling him the LT is fine....
      Thanks again for your input.

Carl Wilson

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com