Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Bench to bucket seat conversion on 65 skylark?

I've tried to figure out how to mount some 4th gen fbody seats in my skylark and cant figure out how to even out the height on the inboard side and how to reinforce the floor in that area after I drill holes to bolt the seats in. There are only holes on the very outside near the doors of this car. Making a bracket isn't hard but how to reinforce the floor is baffling me. I'd love to see some pictures of peoples cars that have gone from bench seats to buckets.

65 Buick Skylark: Getting a LT1 and T56
      95 Camaro: DD commuter project, LT1/T56/T-Top swap
      07 Kia Spectra: Current commuter

Country Flag: United States
      In my case with a 1965 Skylark I originally used bucket seats from a 65 GTO and the outer bolts holes lined up perfectly. Marked and drilled the two inboard holes, bolted them down and welded "flare" nuts in place on the bottom of the car.

Now jump forward to 2015 I installed 2004 powered GTO seats. I had to make up new mounting brackets and was able to use all the holes except one on the passenger side. Again I just drilled a new hole and used a "flare" nut on the bottom and welded it in place. Plugged the old hole with a set screw and red locktite. I brought in power from two fuses under the hood and 12 guage wire. Working just fine.

I have a thread on LS1 tech detailing the whole build. Here is the thread.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...6l80-swap.html

Country Flag: Canada

Bench to bucket seat conversion on 65 skylark?

Just brace the floor from underneath, use some square tubing and bolt it up to the bottom of the floor using the bolts from the seat mount.

Thanks, I'll have get back under there. I figured just the floor wouldn't be strong enough without a brace.
      65 Buick Skylark: Getting a LT1 and T56
      95 Camaro: DD commuter project, LT1/T56/T-Top swap
      07 Kia Spectra: Current commuter

Country Flag: United States
      I normally make a 2" large area washer out of 1/8" plate to spread the load and place it under the floor.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com