Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

choosing a chassis

I'm in the market to buy a full chassis for my 63 nova . Was wondering what people think is the better out there. there's a lot of choices lot off the bigger chassis builders. is there any good small shops out there that you guys are a were of?
      any input would be good. At this time i'm leaning towards art morrison

Being a uni-body car, This is a major deal.

Your Morrison chassis will not come with body mounts.

Much or even all of the car floor boards will/may need to go bye bye.

It's going to be a big job. I have several friends that are in the race car business. that are chassis builders but they said they couldn't build a chassis for what you can buy one for. The floor, trunk, and fire wall will all be removed and they will fabricate it from sheet metal. just trying to see what manufacturer is the best bang for the buck. Thanks

I don't think you can go wrong with the Art Morrison chassis.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Schwartz Performance has a full chassis for a 62-67 Nova which, from what I understand, bolts right in without having to fabricate new floors (and I think you can keep the rear frame rails in place if I'm not mistaken). From what I've heard and seen from their testing of the chassis they provide really good performance (1g+).

Might want to be something to look into as it will be a lot easier to install than AME, Chris Alston and Roadster Shop also provide chassis, but I think they are fairly expensive compared to the others.

The Roadster shop to me seems to be the best but its 5k more than the competitors. thanks for your input

Ironworks has built several first gen Nova chassis. Also might be worth looking at a DSE clip.... http://www.detroitspeed.com/1962-196...ont-frame.html
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

Quote Originally Posted by prova View Post
      The Roadster shop to me seems to be the best
      how did you reach that conclusion? just curious, best for what?

just by what I've read. A lot of the magazines are call them the one to watch right now.

Quote Originally Posted by prova View Post
      just by what I've read. A lot of the magazines are call them the one to watch right now.
      Cause, you know, magazines know everything...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

well i'm looking for info but all I keep getting is snide remarks. I thought this would be a tight knit group which might help out fellow enthuses

Rodney asks a good question, best for what? Do you want the best looking chassis? Do you want a chassis with the best front end geometry? Do you want a stiff chassis with the least amount of flex? Or like discussed above one that bolts under the body or one that requires you to completely rebuild the bottom half of the body?

This project is a major undertaking, not like just bolting on a set of control arms, there is a lot to consider as I'm sure you already know.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

choosing a chassis

Chris Alston Chassis Works makes great sub frames and full frames for the Nova

Thanks lance, I guess I miss understood what Rodney was asking, took as implying. Both stiffness and geometry. to get the ride height I'm wanting it's going to have to be a complete rework of the floor. the car has rust in the floor so it just seems fitting to do it that way. Kill 2 birds one stone. depending on how far funds go I hope to be close to that magic hp number of a 1000 hp with the lsx b12 with wipple charger set up. W ould like to run an irs spoke with Art Morrison they said the Nova is to small of a car to run there irs and get a sufficient amount of tire under it. Are you familiar with street rod garage? if so any thoughts?