Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Steering box options with an LS swap.

Has anyone have experience with the 670 or 800 steering box in a 1969 Camaro with an LS swap? I am planning on using the Holley swap components including their headers. I am not certain if I will go with 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 diameter headers.

I am looking at upgrading to a 12.7 degree steering box from Lee, SC&C, or DSE.

I am reading the 670 box is smaller and lighter, but it does protrude in a few areas that has caused header clearance issues with traditional motors.

Country Flag: United States
      Corey, I went with the AGR variable ratio box from Summit for my 69. They also have the straight 12:1 ratio box but since my car will mainly be a cruiser/show car, I chose the variable box. I originally wanted a 600 series box, but got tired of waiting for them to become available and needed to finish my build. I have the LS3/4L65E GM Connect & Cruise pkg with all Hooker/Holley swap components. I went with the 1-3/4 diameter headers since I do not need any more power than the 430 hp motor produces. You will have plenty of room for your box. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/agr-292317
      69LSX

Thanks for the info. It's good to know the AGR box works. I figured an 800 series would fit without much issue; it is the 600 series box I have more concerns with.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
      Thanks for the info. It's good to know the AGR box works. I figured an 800 series would fit without much issue; it is the 600 series box I have more concerns with.
      Hey Corey, I received confirmation from a user on another site recently that the Hooker headers are compatible with the 600 series box also. This only applies if you are using the Hooker engine brackets and the 2275HKR/2276HKR series headers; the older 2288HKR swap headers are completely different and incompatible with the newer Hooker swap parts.

I have a Lee 600 box with the Holley conversion components in my 69 firebird with an LS3 and 1 7/8 Hooker headers. The only problem I had was that the driver's side header can not be removed without removing the steering box....and I have the car on a lift, so access isn't a problem.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

I have a LS7 with DSE box, 1 7/8 headers and they clear the box.

1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad94 View Post
      I have a LS7 with DSE box, 1 7/8 headers and they clear the box.
      Hey Bad94, are you are using the newer Hooker 2276HKR headers? I just want to confirm to be sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      Hey Bad94, are you are using the newer Hooker 2276HKR headers? I just want to confirm to be sure we're all talking about the same thing.
      Yes I am, but I made my own mounts that move the motor as far back as I can. I can get some pics tomorrow.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad94 View Post
      Yes I am, but I made my own mounts that move the motor as far back as I can. I can get some pics tomorrow.
      Yes, a picture around the area of the box would provide a good point of reference that he would need to make a comparitive judgment.

Thanks everyone for your experience. It sounds like I shouldn't have any issues.

Steering box options with an LS swap.

Has anyone had issues with the 600/670 and the ls type ii pump? Are the pressure and flow rates of the type ii pump that comes in the vette accessory drive compatible with the box?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com