Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Bump shift vs. paddle shift

I have to admit, I'm a bit illiterate regarding the the transmissions required for the two. I've seen kits available for paddle shifter/electronic transmissions but I haven't seen anything for bump shifters. Are they retro fits for manual trans or electronic autos?
      Mat
      1988 Corvette, AKA "Betsy"

"May the Schwartz be with you!"

Not sure if I quite understand what you're asking, but I'll take a stab. There are definitely paddles for electronically controlled transmissions, Twist Machine, TCI just to name a few. I know Master Shift makes a push button, bump and paddle for manual transmissions. Why someone would use a pushbutton or paddle a manual, I don't know?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

You're going in the right direction. My knowledge of bump shifters consists of what I see on tv when they show in-shots of racecars. Are bumpshifters available to the general public? Something other than race only versions. Are they theoretically the same as paddle shifters? Basically a switch telling the electronic trans to shift.
      Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Matman3 View Post
      You're going in the right direction. My knowledge of bump shifters consists of what I see on tv when they show in-shots of racecars. Are bumpshifters available to the general public? Something other than race only versions. Are they theoretically the same as paddle shifters? Basically a switch telling the electronic trans to shift.

ohh got it your asking about a sequential gearbox...for manual transmissions...we use MTI Racing yes there available to the public...you see them on race cars because there 23,000 bucks...no I didn't type to many zeros...we use one on Ken's 5th Gen

here it is

My 2007 M-B CLS 550 has paddle shifters and I can bump my gear shift lever left/right to upshift/downshift. In my 1969 Camaro, I've also installed a 6L90 transmission from a CTS-V that I intend to operate similarly with both a paddle shifter from twist machine and a shift lever from a GT8 that can be bumped forward/back to downshift/upshift. Twist Machine and Street & Performance have both told me that I can wire the shift lever and the paddle shifter in parallel so that either can be used to manually shift the automatic transmission. Hopefully some day, I'll finish my project and determine if it's in fact true.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Two different types of transmissions. Rod is referring to a dog box sequential manual transmission meaning that the clutch is only used when starting and stopping the car but it does not require the use of the clutch to shift between gears. On the other hand, Terry is referring to an electronic controlled automatic transmission that is being shifted manually with his paddle/bump shifter or can be put in drive and allowed to shift automatically. The transmission Rod is described in the video is not suitable for stop and go street driving but really works well in road racing. The transmission Terry is describing is an automatic which can be shifted manually if desired and everyone knows how an automatic works on the street. That said, I have heard of a sequential shifter that is supposed to work with a T56 but I have not been able to find out much info on it.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Two different types of transmissions. Rod is referring to a dog box sequential manual transmission meaning that the clutch is only used when starting and stopping the car but it does not require the use of the clutch to shift between gears. On the other hand, Terry is referring to an electronic controlled automatic transmission that is being shifted manually with his paddle/bump shifter or can be put in drive and allowed to shift automatically. The transmission Rod is described in the video is not suitable for stop and go street driving but really works well in road racing. The transmission Terry is describing is an automatic which can be shifted manually if desired and everyone knows how an automatic works on the street. That said, I have heard of a sequential shifter that is supposed to work with a T56 but I have not been able to find out much info on it.
      ^^^This

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

It this the t56 sequential shifter your talking about?
      http://www.s1sequential.com/t56-sequential-shifter/
      There's also a YouTube video of it but can't find one of it in a car

Thank you everyone. All my questions were answered as well as a few I didn't know I wanted to ask. LOL!

Rodney- I think we met during the design and engineering phase. I have the Blue C4. I was looking at the rear diffusor when you came up. Ken's car looked great and deserved to win the challenge. I remember a couple years back Ken was being interviewed and he said the car was a stock Z28 with a Lingenfelter engine. Now look at the progress you guys have made.
      Mat

I have heard of a sequential shifter that is supposed to work with a T56 but I have not been able to find out much info on it.
      thats what we use....from MTI racing its on a modified 6060...I don't see it on there web site you might have to call

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnum1 View Post
      It this the t56 sequential shifter your talking about?
      http://www.s1sequential.com/t56-sequential-shifter/
      There's also a YouTube video of it but can't find one of it in a car
      Wow, I had not seen that sequential shifter. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. Apparently this is not yet for sale but sure looks interesting.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

I have a bump shift in my g8 gt and it is fun.
      Stephen

Wow, I had not seen that sequential shifter. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. Apparently this is not yet for sale but sure looks interesting.
      I seem to recall them posting a price on their Facebook page and it was around $2000. The bad part is that this shifter maybe too fast for synchros to keep up. This would work much better if the trans was converted to dog-ring engagement.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I found this video of the S1 sequential shifter on a T56. Looks like you can shift as fast or slow as you want. They claim it works well with a fully synchronized T56. I need to find out if they make a shifter for the T56 Magnum with the six bolt mounting base. I am so ready to ditch my Tremec shifter I keep missing 3rd and getting 5th instead.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com